Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would someone want to hazard a guess why neither of the two CFL games for today got scheduled to record?

My settings are:
Series: CFL Football
Channel: 475
Time: anyday, anytime
Show Type: First Run Only
Stop Recording: 1 hour after
Keep: Until space needed
Disk Usage: 71% remaining

Dave SS

·
Registered
757 Posts
Could it have something to do with the new series priority? I don't have this system at home, so I haven't had a chance to mess around with the new stuff since the update, but I did see it once earlier today at my in-laws.

I'm assuming that this new setting is just in case there will be more than three recordings scheduled simultaneously, the 3 with the highest priority will get recorded.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Watch out for "First Run Only". I find it doesn't tend to work with sports games, etc.

Also - don't feel bad that you missed the Bomber game. I watched it, and I can now thing of about a dozen things I would have rather done.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Watch out for "First Run Only". I find it doesn't tend to work with sports games, etc.

Also - don't feel bad that you missed the Bomber game. I watched it, and I can now thing of about a dozen things I would have rather done.
I'm sorry now that I didn't test "First Run Only" when I first discovered that the Bomber game hadn't recorded (about two hours into it). I could have switched settings to "First run and reruns", and if that was the fix, the Rider game would have been scheduled. I'll be checking this next weekend.

There seems to be a powerful boredom factor that controls games between Bombers and Argonauts.

Dave S.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I'm sorry now that I didn't test "First Run Only" when I first discovered that the Bomber game hadn't recorded (about two hours into it). I could have switched settings to "First run and reruns", and if that was the fix, the Rider game would have been scheduled. I'll be checking this next weekend.

There seems to be a powerful boredom factor that controls games between Bombers and Argonauts.

Dave S.
No guarantee that the "First Run Only" was the issue, but if my assumptions are correct, you just need to see the date of first run under the program info to get an idea. I have a feeling TSN submits CFL Football as one episode to the guide.

Oh, and I'm buying the cheapest possible tickets to the last Bomber game, knowing I'll be able to move up 40 rows and to centre field.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I called tech support about this issue tonight. When the tech creates a series for chan 475 for CFL Football, he gets next Sunday night's game set to record; I don't.

So he had me do a disaster recovery, which of course loses all recordings.
After that was done, it still didn't schedule that recording.
Next step (after another 1.5 hours on hold) is to replace the PVR.

Dave S.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I'll be interested to hear if the pvr gets replaced and if that helps. I just moved from being a contractor for MTS, to a Field Service Technician. So now I'm even more interested in stuff like this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The tech just came, replaced my PVR, and left.
I immediately checked what programs were set to record for the series "CFL Football" on channel 475. Turns out, all of them except the ones scheduled for 14 Nov.

Exactly the same as my previous PVR! :confused:

OK, now what?

I did learn something about how the system works during this attempted debugging. All of the series that are set on my system are actually stored on the server downtown. This makes me wonder if that database has been corrupted - for example, perhaps it thinks I canceled a recording from the series.

I am thinking I should call tech support back, and have them at least register this as a bug, even though they don't know how to fix it.

Dave S.

·
Super Moderator
16,861 Posts
This looks like a quirk with CFL programming. Tribune Media Services (which also runs Zap2it.com) provides the guide info for Mediaroom. If you go to Zap2it.com and search for CFL Football, you'll see the following:
  • CFL Football (TV Show)
  • CFL Football (Calgary Stampeders at Winnipeg Blue Bombers: Fri, Nov 5, 7:00 PM)
  • CFL Football (BC Lions at Hamilton Tiger-Cats: Sat, Nov 6, 1:00 PM)
  • CFL Football (Edmonton Eskimos at Saskatchewan Roughriders: Sat, Nov 6, 6:00 PM)
  • CFL Football (Toronto Argonauts at Montreal Alouettes: Sun, Nov 7, 3:00 PM)
If you click on the generic "CFL Football (TV Show)", you'll see:
  • Eastern Conference Semifinal: Toronto Argonauts at Hamilton Tiger-Cats
  • Western Conference Semifinal: TBA at Saskatchewan Roughriders
This looks like either the semifinals are being assigned a different series-id or maybe the series-id will be assigned once the teams are finalized.

I set up a series recording for one of the games on Nov. 14 and it marked only the 2 games on the 14th, indicating they are treated as the same series-id, but different than the series-id of the regular season games. I'm not sure if the series-id will be changed prior to the games being played.

After that long-winded explanation, this looks like a potential guide error, not a bug in the software.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This looks like a quirk with CFL programming. This looks like either the semifinals are being assigned a different series-id or maybe the series-id will be assigned once the teams are finalized.

I set up a series recording for one of the games on Nov. 14 and it marked only the 2 games on the 14th, indicating they are treated as the same series-id, but different than the series-id of the regular season games. I'm not sure if the series-id will be changed prior to the games being played.

After that long-winded explanation, this looks like a potential guide error, not a bug in the software.
I can see the logic you're using to differentiate between playoffs and regular season. But every weekend for the last three, the CFL Football series has missed one or two games on channel 475.

I guess what I should do is find another example of malfunction. Then I could get everyone who reads my message to try it themselves, and I would know if anyone but myself is experiencing this. If the cause is, for example, a differently coded schedule, then everyone should get the same results.

Stay tuned.

Dave S.

·
Super Moderator
16,861 Posts
I forgot to mention that I also tried your CFL series and got the same result you did, so that seems to be a guide issue, not anything specific to your setup.

During the fall/winter season I have over 90 active series and I can't recall any problems missing programs unless the network screws up or I run out of disk space.

·
Registered
338 Posts
There seems to be an issue with shows which are not on the main broadcast networks with setting the new episode/original air date flag correctly. I have an entry set for Mythbusters with "only record new episodes". I know this recording has missed new episodes and actually recorded repeats of others.

If you really wanted to play around and find out what is happening there is potential to access the raw data which feeds the guide in xml format. This would give you better insight into why your recordings are not behaving as expected. The data can be obtained from http://www.schedulesdirect.org/ for a 7-day free trial.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you really wanted to play around and find out what is happening there is potential to access the raw data which feeds the guide in xml format. This would give you better insight into why your recordings are not behaving as expected. The data can be obtained from http://www.schedulesdirect.org/ for a 7-day free trial.
Interesting source.

Anyone know how to convert raw xml to some standard database e.g. MS Access, or even csv, Excel?

Dave S.

·
Super Moderator
16,861 Posts
@dschell_2000, you could take a look at the approved apps on their site. There is at least one that loads data into a MySQL database. I can't comment on any of the apps because I haven't used the data since the old days when I was able to get it directly from Zap2it Labs (plus my parser is no longer supported).

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well! I went through the process of subscribing to Schedules Direct for a 2-month period, downloaded a program (FreeGuide) only to find out that channel 475 TSNHD is not on their list.

Frustrating!

I have submitted a Lineup Support issue, which they say can take a week.

We'll see.

I still haven't figured out how to look at the raw data.

Dave S.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If MTS and Schedules Direct are both using Tribune Data, then why does my TV schedule have data for the next 12 days, but Schedules Direct has only the next 6 days?

Dave S.

·
Super Moderator
16,861 Posts
It's possible Schedules Direct is only giving you 7 days because you are on an extended trial. They clearly state they are using Tribune and Zap2it shows the full schedule.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Someone reminded me to check Zap2it.

They have the schedule for channel 475 on Nov 14, and the games that day are still under the show title of "CFL Football".

But I will check channel 22, to see if it behaves the same as channel 475.

Dave S.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts