Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a 7 day vacation, only to find that my PVR only recorded 3 shows while I was away. I left on Saturday the 12th and my PVR was at 0%. I just got back tonight, and it only recorded 3 shows last Sunday, including the Grammy's which brought the PVR to 29%.

I verified all the scheduled recordings before I left, and there were multiple shows scheduled every day while I was away. Why would it only record shows the day after I left and not the rest of the week?

EDIT: I just checked the PVR History, and all the shows are in there with that red circle with the cross through it to indicate that it didn't record. I don't get it. The displayed that shows is 'Not recorded due to a cancellation by the system'.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DSgamby said:
was there 3 shows set to record at the same time even if it is for one second?
Thank you for the prompt reply. I checked the history, and from what I can see there were never more than two shows recording at any given time (but it's tough to read the history). There were going to be a few, but I cancelled a couple recordings before I left so that the machine didn't run into any conflicts.

Just to satisfy my curiousity, why would this affect recordings for the whole week? I could understand why having too many recordings at once would affect the immediate recordings, but I don't understand why that would have any affect on future recordings that don't have more than 2 shows set to record at a time. Isn't this the whole point of prioritizing recordings in the 'Series Recordins' sub-menu?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I contacted Shaw by email when I had this problem last October. Their automated response said they would respond withing 24 to 48 hours. I have not had a response with an explanation of what "Not recorded due to a cancellation by the system" is caused by or means.

I haven't had the problem since however I live in constant fear of the "new" A28 Online Program Guide...

·
Registered
737 Posts
In the last 10 days I also had three dropped recordings due to "Not recorded due to a cancellation by the system". Two on DCT 6416 and one on DCX 3400. On DCX 3400 two shows were supposed to record at the same time. One was fine, the other didn't record. I don't know the circumstances when it happened on DCT 6416 since it's my wife's box (but I had to deal with rage nevertheless).

Two of instances were "The Big Bang Theory" (new episodes, week apart, East US HD feed), one on each box.

And that after flawless working boxes for many months.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I had 14 shows that were missed :mad: And to make matters worse, I cleared out the whole 3 shows that recorded while I was gone, hoping that tonight’s' shows would record while I was at volleyball...but no dice; I now have to waste my time downloading the torrents instead of just relaxing to a show before bed.

For someone who was up until recently, pro-Shaw, I am really beginning to loathe their service (or lack thereof). Ever since I upgraded to HD about 8 months ago, I've had nothing but problem, after problem, after problem. I just called Shaw, and they said they've seen this problem on a few Motorola boxes since they upgraded the firmware a few months ago. He believes it stems from 'Series Recordings', but I confirmed that at least one of my unsuccessful recordings was ad hoc.

He reset my box, and I now get to spend another hour reconfiguring the settings and the series recordings. I am so sick of having to do this on a monthly (sometimes more frequent) basis. The TELUS offer of $15 cable and $15 internet for 12 months is looking more and more enticing every day.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I had a problem with my box (DCT6412) not recording Oprah for my wife.

Clearing out the "PVR History" seems to have fixed the problem. There must have been something in there that was telling the box that we had seen that episode before, even though we had not.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Unfortunatelly I have not found a quick way to clear the PVR History. It keeps 1 month of data so when you delete it you get into a pattern of hitting OK 3 times then right once. It's menotonous but I clear out my history once a month as I have seen this happen once on my PVR and several times for customers. It seems that one show in the PVR History is causing future episodes of the series to not record due to the first show (the one in the PVR History section) being deleted.

No other work around so far then to clear out the PVR history and often I recommend cancelling and setting up the series recording again that will not record. Worked for spitoon and several customers who I have recommended this to.

I believe Shaw has opened a ticket with Motorola on this however since it's hard to duplicate it's hard to pin point what causes the challenge exactly.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So my recordings have resumed. And the the Shaw-initiated reset of the box did not clear out my series recordings or my history this time. Maybe I'm on glue, but I swear it usually cleared those out on me (as I've had to reset them at least a dozen times) when they did this. All I had to reconfigure was the settings. Anyways I didn't reset my series recordings, and my shows appear to be recording now *fingers crossed*

·
Registered
472 Posts
I came back from vacation last week to discover my expander wiped clean and all of my Fox shows missing from the "series recordings" list. Very odd.

·
Registered
226 Posts
That's interesting, because my series recording of House mysteriously vanished. I think that's the only FOX show that I record.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I just came across this error myself.

Recorded Dave Letterman Show from WWJ. New Shows Only. For some odd reason, the box decided not to record the Tuesday or Wednesday show from Nov 22, 2011, and Nov 23, 2011.

"Not recorded due to a cancellation by the system" is what it says in PVR history. I didn't change any of the "Record Settings". I have two boxes set to record this program if in the case the one box doesn't record at all, but the thing is that BOTH boxes didn't record on those two evenings, and the PVR history gives the same error for both boxss. Box 1 is 3416, second box is 3400. At a lost, and I have no idea how it happened. :eek::eek:

·
Registered
956 Posts
I haven't had any problems like this in a while, but the usual 'fix' was to go in and clear out the "PVR History" for that specific show. It's a bit of a cumbersome and time consuming process, but it generally fixes that problem.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oyy, I thought this was resolved. I just missed a show tonight, and one yesterday. This is on a DCX 3400 this time. The error message is '"This program was not recorded because the system canceled the recording." In addition to this, X-Factor didn't record tonight, and it's not even in the pvr history. It is set to record tomorrow though. So frustrating.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay now I'm really mad. I took 20 minutes to clear every item in my history, but it didn't do anything. I setup X-Factor to manually record at 8:00pst as my series recording from 5:00 on the time-shift channel was missed. Well, even the manual recording got the "This program was not recorded because the system canceled the recording."

Edit: Something else weird. I started watching X-Factor live (after missing almost half an hour of it), and all of the sudden at 8:30 I got that warning message saying that a show was going to be recording, and to cancel it or switch channels from what I was watching. Well it's a dual tuner box, and I was only watching one show, and no other shows were recording. So I told it to cancel the recording, and then I just switched channels to start the recording manually, and then I was able to switch back to X-Factor. What the hell is going on? Was there a firmware update to the DCX 3400 recently?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
In the past the work around was to go into the PVR History folder and delete all old examples in there, then delete the series recording and set it up again. This challenge was fixed after firmware upgrade in September I believe. Perhaps your firmware may be out of date on the PVRS (slim but may be true). I suggest contacting the office.

I have a 3400 at home and just checked the PVR history folder and no recordings missed due to this. Checked future recordings and all seem good. I usually check future recordings once a week just in case there are conflicts or something like this occuring.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts