Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if I didn't put this in the right place so please feel free to move it if necessary.

On to my questions, I just purchased a new car that has a USB connection. The sound system can read a USB drive loaded with music. I am looking for a mini-USB drive.

All I have been able to find are the typical thumb drives. Do they come smaller than that?

MicroSD cards are fairly inexpensive, is it possible to find USB readers soley for microSD cards?

Thanks!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
You can get USB connectors that plug into a USB port on one side and have a slot for SD and SDHC cards on the other side. They sell for $5 or $10 .

·
Registered
38 Posts
small usb devices

depending on the physical size is one issue... the other is how much data you need to store..

on a typical car deck, you want something small, and your not going to remove it a lot anyways...

My recomendation would be the Imatation Atom Flash drive... its like 8 Gigs very small ( kinda why they call it a atom)

as for another option... would be the verbatim tough n tiny
(TNT-Flash Drive)

I like the TNT drive... for other reasons... trust me it is a very very good product.

but for simple car audio... get a the atom flash drive... it will look better and its just small in the right way...

Best wishes

(-:

PS> yes you can convert Micro SD to a small USB drive.. however, on many different types of microsd to USB adapters many have the same issues... excessive use causes damage.. you will either damage the port or the adapter itself.. some of the adapters also would be a similar physical size of a typical thumb drive, so its really counter productive to convert the media from one format to the other..

one other smaller type of stick... is the little silver 4G ones you can get at the grocery store for like 9$

the problem is... the stick... well it STICKS out from the unit... may not be a big deal.. but may also be a future problem...

try to find the little microsd chip on the floor if and when you drop it...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the feedback. I ended up getting two of Lexar's Echo ZE 8GB drives from FS (for the wifey and I).

They are tiny. It's basically a little nub that sticks out once you insert it into a USB port. When in use, it lights up very closely to the same colour as my dash lights.

I loadeded some tunes and will try it out when I pick up my new Santa Fe after work tonight :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
general comment mobile audio

not sure what your using for a deck and such.. some folks just use the small Cig Lighter MP3 Modulator Players.. ( they call em EGG's )

Some stuff is faster than others, but does not seem to really mind so much with just typical MP3 Playback..

here is a nice trick.. you can expierment with...

in most cases you can squish your mp3's a bit by converting the bit rate... you can reduce them by about 25 or 30 percent... on a typical factory deck in a domestic with a modulator... you can go to about anything in the 90k range and not notice a difference... just more songs in the same amount of space..

check out NCH software.. they have a bunch of tools for audio stuff some is free.. some is not..

Happy Driving... ( Keep your hands on the wheel... Eyes on the road.. )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts