Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mike Richards, popular radio morning guy in Toronto-Hamilton area (and a 6-year stint in Calgary) for about the last 30 years, mostly on sports stations with his impressions of Bob Cole and others, has now started his own independent show, weekdays at 10 a.m. Eastern Time, on his YouTube channel and his RawMikeRichards.com website. Other than sponsor mentions, it's pretty much a commercial-free approximately two hours a day of talk with co-host David Bastl similar to what they did on broadcast radio except for maybe the occasional uncensored four-letter word. Apparently they will have live interviews in upcoming shows, and will also soon be making archived versions of the shows available for those who are unable to listen live.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Thanks for sharing this - gives me another Canadian sports option to listen to at my desk at work instead of the same repetitive TSN/SportsNet radio commentary, and the boring sports shows out of the U.S.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Mike Richard, never heard of him, not even the name. Guess I should check him out. It's been a while since I sincerely listen to the Radio. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
718 Posts
While they are at it, I wish they would get all the sports talk shows off the radio so that real radio with widespread coverage of real live sports can actually be broadcast instead.

It's daft that the filler talk takes up all the core schedules, only interrupted for Jays, Leafs, Raptors etc. Sport is much bigger than that.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I was really disappointed when he left the Fan in Calgary for TSN radio in Toronto. He ruled the morning here. When he brought in Rhett Warrener initially in the morning, the dry ascorbic Warrener was a great foil for Richards. He was edgy, silly, chauvinistic ( his interview with the women’s pairs luge team ahead of a local World Cup comp is legendary) and damn funny.

Did he leave/ get toasted from TSN? I want him back here. The current AM Fan team is horrid. Keep Warrener as he has the sports background, but get rid of the rest of the dreck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was really disappointed when he left the Fan in Calgary for TSN radio in Toronto...
Did he leave/ get toasted from TSN? I want him back here. The current AM Fan team is horrid...
It's been more than two years, Aug. 2016, since he left TSN radio. As long as he has sponsors for his daily podcast/YouTube show he will probably keep doing that and being his own boss. The conventional radio stations are all getting worse because they are losing listeners and advertisers, and can no longer afford to keep their better (and therefore more highly paid) on-air personalities, like Mike Richards.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FWIW, they (Richards with Bastl) are supposedly about to return to being on morning radio.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGwdIQXIAoo
My guess is that it's likely the new, somewhat low-powered 960 AM station (CKNT) in Mississauga, owned by a guy who owns the Mississauga Steelheads junior hockey team. Despite the rest of the station's weekday schedule being occupied, it seems the spot before 9 a.m. is open, and apparently this station may in effect work on a "time-buy" method, where the shows buy time on the station and then sell their own advertising. This would probably work well for him since he already has sponsors for his podcast/YouTube show, and he will still be his own boss.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts