Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

MiFi Mobile Hotspot comes to Rogers

Tags
mifi novatel
8K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  JamesK 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to buy a MiFi device that can be used with a US carrier in US and Cdn carrier in Canada? Is it possible to switch ID chips and put the service on hold while out of the country?

Thanks, Jim
It is reported that the latest OS update (due out within weeks) to Android phones will turn them into MIFI devices. If you buy (for e.g.) an unlocked Nexus One from Google, you should be able (once the OS update occurs) to MIFI in Canada with (for e.g.) a Rogers SIM card and MIFI in the US with an AT & T SIM card.

#3 ·
To my knowledge, Rogers does not allow you to put your service on hold. The sim cards can be swapped. Have you investigated out of country plans for data from Rogers?

Bell also sells these so you may wish to investigate options with them

#5 ·
Mifi USA & Canada

Hi, I am in the same boat. My boyfriend lives in Canada & I live in the US. I cannot find a cell provider for both. At&T says that you can use their service in Canada but they do not have any towers, so it is only if you are close to the border. When I am close to the border I can also use Tmobile so that means nothing. I just called Verizon (who I am not a fan of) they said you can use their device in Canada but the roaming fee is threw the roof. Telum is connected to Cingular or Verizon, I forget which one, so I may try them. Please let me know if you find anything & I will do the same. Verizon does have a pay per day option of $15 a day.

#9 ·
I think the question here is about provider service plans, not hardware.

To my knowledge none of the providers offer equal service in both countries because none operate a network in both. Many will offer add-ons for roaming minutes and data, but you're still likely better off to use a prepaid SIM for one or both, unless you must to have the same phone number all the time.

#10 ·
^^^^
As I mentioned, Rogers has plans that give you the same coverage, no matter which side of the border you're on. However, those plans are more expensive than the equivalent domestic only plan. Rogers has long had joint marketing plans with AT&T.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.