1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
A 17% share is fairly impressive after just one year. I wonder how many of those were half price upgrades and family packs. I purchased 4 upgrade licenses at half price. Would probably still be running XP on 3 systems otherwise. I recently went looking for the family packs and they seem to be taken off the market as well.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My guess is that upgrades are a relatively small portion of the marketplace and the vast majority of copies are sold with new computers

When you realize that Worldwide computer sales in the last year were more than 250 million, then 240 million seems about right and it makes sense that most were new.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I paid CAD$39 for my copy, under a student program.

Let's not forget, though, that MS has publically acknowledged that they record all OS sales as Windows 7, regardless of whether it was XP/Vista, etc.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I paid CAD$39 for my copy, under a student program.

Let's not forget, though, that MS has publically acknowledged that they record all OS sales as Windows 7, regardless of whether it was XP/Vista, etc.
That's true, but remember, you can get an XP down grade from Dell on some of their systems, but you're still paying for a Windows 7 license.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Uh-oh...

From the article in the first post:
Microsoft is expected to report higher fiscal first-quarter earnings next week, but Windows sales -- which closely track PC sales -- may disappoint investors slightly.
Well...
Microsoft's most recent Windows sales totals got a boost from the fact the company quietly added revenues previously assigned to other groups to its operating systems unit, a bit of accounting legerdemain that, along with other bookkeeping moves, helped the Windows group post big gains in the past quarter, according to an InformationWeek analysis of the software maker's SEC filings.
http://www.informationweek.com/news/storage/reviews/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=228200850&itc=ref-true

According to InformationWeek ya can't believe everything you read, even if it is in an SEC filing! :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts