·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Initially, I believe they expected to sell about 3 million by Christmas (and I think they are now talking 5 million) so 1 million in ten days is about what you would expect or slightly higher.

My guess is they will have to sell at least 10 million Kinect devices in the next year in order to get game developers to continue creating games for it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would expect that number to take off as word of mouth gets out from folks I know what own it nothing but great things to say.

I checked it out at Best buy yesterday and will be buying one for my sons birthday this week.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Does Kinect work on dark skinned persons?

My friend was telling me his system has "problems" picking up his movements, yet when he has his "white" friends playing along beside him.
Thier movements are picked up.:(

·
Registered
254 Posts
Consumer Reports says it does not have issues with skin tone, but lighting has an impact on the facial recognition.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/el...kinect-facial-recognition-problems-video.html

It tracks the user's body movements using an infrared camera, so I think it is only an issue with race if the undead (i.e. not human) try to play. ;)

Although this is a little further off topic, my favourite scientific testing was done by G4TV.com (some may think that this link might not be SFW, but it is censored at the source).

Cheers

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Decent sale numbers, especially for an expensive add-on.

How it relates to console sales should be interesting since they are sell combo units with the Kinect.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Decent sale numbers, especially for an expensive add-on.

How it relates to console sales should be interesting since they are sell combo units with the Kinect.
Yeah. I was tempted to pick one up but I find it hard to justify spending more than a $100 for an addon. Most addons get great support out of the gate but down the road they get adandoned by the manufacturers. When it comes down in price I may consider one.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Once the open source drivers are commonly circulated I imagine it will be necessary to separate the Kinect numbers from the Xbox numbers if it really takes off for use on other platforms. Looking at all the ways that the Wii controller has been co-opted for a variety of uses including in the sciences, Microsoft should be supporting the open source tools as a means to enhance the Kinect's revenue stream. Anyways, it'll get done without them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
People talk about the cost but for me its a cheap deal, you don't need to buy controllers/Nunchuks/steering wheels etc.. all the addons you get with the wii.

Nor do you have to buy 2-4 new remotes like you would for the PS3. If you add it up Kinnect is cheaper than the motion offers from the competition plus it comes with a game.

I bought one last night for my son along with Dance Central and Kinnect sports. Figure it'll be a great party game for everyone for the Holiday season.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I'm rooting for Microsoft in the Kinect department. They took a big risk with Kinect, and I think there will be a lot of innovation in games/software because of it.

Starting with Linux drivers. ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Got mine running this weekened its great. Had my nephew and neice over on Sunday and after there parents saw it and the mom especially liked that it got them active and you couldn't cheat it like the Wii.

They don't even own an Xbox but as of Monday they went out and baught an Xbox360 bundle for Christmas with the kinect and Kinect sports.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Anybody know where you can find one now? I am in Ottawa but online is OK to. The regulars Futurshop/Bestbuy/Walmart/ToysrUs are all out of stock. Just need the camera & game not the full xbox bundle.

·
Registered
756 Posts
What was the closest you find you can stand to the kinect? I will have mine (hopefully) about 4 -5 feet off the ground and have max 6 feet of space. From what I have found - it seems like I should be fine, but there is no clear measurements I could find.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts