Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FYI, I've been using Microsoft Security Essentials on my son's Windows 7 PC. I never noticed before, but MSE's scheduled scan defaults to a weekly Quick Scan. If you're using MSE, it's probably a good idea to change the scheduled scan to a Full Scan.

Recently I just got a Drobo FS network attached storage device and setup the PC to backup to the NAS (using Windows Backup and Restore). The backup would always fail with "Error code 0x81000037".

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973455/en-us
This error may also occur if Microsoft Forefront Client Security reports a file as malware, and this file will be included in backups by Windows Backup
When I checked MSE Quick Scan reports, there were no viruses reported. I did a Full Scan and found 6 trojans.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thats really interesting, the reason I like MSE is it finds things in real time, I am guessing your son, is letting things in the back door by replying wrong to the prompts, but that is my personal opinion......I am sure by default as quick scan is enabled......1.6 million new pieces of Malware, in the last year alone, difficult for the antivirus software to keep up....education is the best defence...

My take, when you see a pop up that says you have a virus/trojan/malware, don't believe it! don't click on anything, hold down the power button and turn it off, and don't go back to that website, My take!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts