Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two hotmail email accounts going back to the early days of email when Hector was a pup. I have other email accounts (gmail etc) and these hotmail accounts are of limited value these days. Accessing one of them this morning I got a message that someone else was using or trying to use the account. The message seems legit from Microsoft with the locked padlock at top of page and a green WOT circle. If you know what WOT is fine, if not an explanation is not required here. I need to enter a lot of personal data plus I have to enter the numbers/letters (hard to decipher squiggly letters). I have sent as much data as I dare, no credit card data, no password(s) etc. I know the scammers are very sophisticated these days but this one has the earmarks of legitimacy. Any one care to respond with your thoughts or experiences?
sailmaker:(

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
It's probably a scam. Consider the possibility that someone has hijacked your browser or is using some time of browser or DNS redirection. Chances are that they obtained the email addresses from a security breach and are now trying to leverage them for more info or an identity theft. As with all messages of this type, ignore them. Do not use the links in a possibly fake web page or email. Go to the site directly, using another browser or PC if necessary, and verify that the account is still intact. Change the password immediately to something not used anywhere else and change the security questions. If any other sites have the same password or security question answers, change them to something unique as well. (It's a good idea to supply unique, difficult to guess passwords and security question answers and passwords for every site.) If an account is not being used, it's best to close it or protect it using very long random passwords and security question answers. Use a password generator and a password manager, like KeePass 2 if necessary.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All Is Well again !

I provided as much personal info as I dared in the second attempt and Microsoft did respond that they now had enough personal info (going back a number of years) to allow me to change my password and I am now back up and running. I only use hotmail these days when I do not want my more active accounts to be associated with whatever (grocery store points data, local city councilor's monthly newsletter etc). sailmaker

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
Glad to hear it. I err on the paranoid side. Scammers are really out to get you. I've received similar messages when I accidentally tried to access email accounts from unusual locations. I've not seen the request for info unless it was a security question answer, something like a birthday or a scammer. Maybe someone tried to hack the account. It's tough to know what to do in these situations.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
A Hotmail account is useful for your MS id which you may need for buying apps from the Windows store or Xbox Live.

·
Super Moderator
11,166 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,166 Posts
Well I logged in after a long hiatus. I looked at my "Recent Activity". It looks like there were 7 attempts over the last month to hack the account. :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I noticed a couple of attempts on my account too. I use the authenticator app with two-factor authentication so I'm not too worried.

Hotmail is nice because it provides proper ActiveSync support on mobile devices and Outlook 2013 integrates nicely with it too.

·
Super Moderator
11,166 Posts
One of my family members hotmail was hacked yesterday. I called them up to let them know (I was getting odd emails form them with links) and when they tried to login the password did not work. It does not look good for them. They are not very techie and the reset email they provided is now invalid.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Definitely a good reminder for people to take advantage of all the available security options.

Unfortunately with this trend to minimalist design being used by websites these days, they've often buried security options many rows of text down. Icons help users who are not technically savvy identify features on a page at a glance.

·
Super Moderator
11,166 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I just activated 2-step verification for my gmail account. Not sure why I did not do it before.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I got a few 'Security Challenge' from the United States. Other then that it's all Canada. :)
What would that security challenge be?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts