Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it has been announced that Dreamworks, in partnership with Samsung, will distribute the movie EXCLUSIVELY to those who buy a Samsung 3d TV.

How can this be good for trying to bring 3D TV to mainstream? These are hypocritical deals and it will do nothing but sabotage the success of 3D market. The same goes with Panasonic and Avatar, and other companies dealing with specific titles.

To me, this looks like HDDVD VS BluRay war all over again but this time, it's Blu-Ray VS 3D Blu-Ray. Talk about dog eat dog world.

I didn't go see Megamind because I said to myself that I'd buy it when it comes out. WRONG. Only the SD will be coming out at the end of February.

Now I'm afraid to not go see Green Hornet in fear that some underground shady deal will have that movie exclusively sold with (insert brand name) TV's in the near future. Sheesh.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yeah, that's counter productive to the 3D cause, eh? There are at least 2 different types of 3D tvs and one format will not work on another tv. The electronics industry keeps doing this, from Betamax/VHS to DVD Audio/SACD to Blu-ray/HD-DVD, the greedy attitudes only cost them millions in profits! You would think they'd learn.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
There is no different format for 3D BD. This is strictly an exclusive deal. No different than all the similar deals that other Samsung and Panasonic have done for other 3D movies.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Well the rights holder gets instant cash from these exclusive deals, PLUS they get deferred money coming in when the exclusive expires. Plus they have fans like you talking yourself in to going to the first run movie theater. So from their viewpoint I guess it's good business.

I agree it's a nuisance, and I would think 3D adoption doesn't need any more headwinds.

But the battle to sell a flat panel in the stores is very tight. There's really not much to separate the big 3 or 4 brands right now in terms of price, features or quality.

So when Joe consumer is standing in the store trying to choose between Sony, Panasonic, LG, and Samsung... he'll see 4 similar quality and priced TV's with the following bonus options:

Sony - get nothing, or perhaps the very old Bolt
Panasonic - get old titles, Avatar or Coraline
LG - get naaada
Samsung - get a fresh new release, Megamind

That little factor might be the tipping point that gives Samsung the sales crown for that quarter.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is no different format for 3D BD. This is strictly an exclusive deal. No different than all the similar deals that other Samsung and Panasonic have done for other 3D movies.
Someone told me Avatar in 3D won't play on anything except Panasonic. I don't know anyone that has another 3D movie to confirm it or not.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I cant see them doing this as its does not make sense that only people buying a new TV would get the movie in 3D as they are going to be giving it away for free more than likely. If you already had a samsung 3d TV how are you going to know you have the exclusive right to buy the movie(but not a store) unless you registered your info with samsung.

Okay I take it back, in reading it sounds like this is the industry practice. How stupid, its not like blu ray vs hdvd where people could justify owning both if they choose, how many people are gonna buy 3 different 3d tv's just so they can watch all the available movies. And worse yet if you have boughten on but if your past the grace period your likely out of luck. Simply STUPID!

Reading this had made up my mind on holding out longer to buy a 3d TV!

·
Registered
674 Posts
I didn't go see Megamind because I said to myself that I'd buy it when it comes out. WRONG. Only the SD will be coming out at the end of February.
Everywhere I look the 2D BluRay is coming out @ the end of Feb as well.
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...y-and-dvd-friday-february-25th-112799254.html
http://www.allnewswire.com/megamind-unleashes-diabolical-fun-on-blu-ray-dvd/
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/new...ncements___/Megamind_Slated_for_Blu-ray_/6092
http://bluray.ign.com/articles/114/1142364p1.html

AS far as the 3D MEgamind Bluray being exclusive to samsung, a terrible idea. Why limit yourself to only part of the market?

I hate this 3D junk anyway, I get way to much motion blur during fast action and I already wear glasses as it is. It's not worth the premium they cahrge for it either IMO.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Everywhere I look the 2D BluRay is coming out @ the end of Feb as well.
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...y-and-dvd-friday-february-25th-112799254.html
http://www.allnewswire.com/megamind-unleashes-diabolical-fun-on-blu-ray-dvd/
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/new...ncements___/Megamind_Slated_for_Blu-ray_/6092
http://bluray.ign.com/articles/114/1142364p1.html

AS far as the 3D MEgamind Bluray being exclusive to samsung, a terrible idea. Why limit yourself to only part of the market?

I hate this 3D junk anyway, I get way to much motion blur during fast action and I already wear glasses as it is. It's not worth the premium they cahrge for it either IMO.
Well it's not actually limiting their market, it's effectively changing the release dates for certain markets. They can sell through Samsung initially, then when the exclusive expires, they get a new big splash and sell to others. I do agree it's offensive to consumers, but from the sellers point of view they end up selling to the whole market.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not really. If the lack of 3D movies pushes the buyers away, they won't be selling too much 3D discs. Now we have SONY, LG, PANASONIC, SAMSUNG and maybe SHARP and TOSHIBA selling 3D TV's. If they each have a exclusive deal with movie houses, I see it as limiting your sales to only one buyer instead of a potential of 5 more buyers.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Not really. If the lack of 3D movies pushes the buyers away, they won't be selling too much 3D discs. Now we have SONY, LG, PANASONIC, SAMSUNG and maybe SHARP and TOSHIBA selling 3D TV's. If they each have a exclusive deal with movie houses, I see it as limiting your sales to only one buyer instead of a potential of 5 more buyers.
Except in reality you get 100% of the whichever brand is the 'exclusive' right now, plus you can sell to the owners of the other 4 brands later on, with a new big splash.

It's not like these exclusives are perpetual.

I agree it sucks for us, but currently this technique has a much bigger payoff for Dreamworks overall, or they wouldn't be doing it.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I still think they shouldn't have deals like this when the market isn't really fully established. It must not be good for anybody.

Having said that, it is nice to see movies that were once in 2D be re-issued in 3D like Open Season and Monster House. I hope they don't stop there....

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
I still think they shouldn't have deals like this when the market isn't really fully established. It must not be good for anybody.

Having said that, it is nice to see movies that were once in 2D be re-issued in 3D like Open Season and Monster House. I hope they don't stop there....
Star Wars....

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wouldn't STAR WARS look like cut outs in 3D? If it will look like Piranha 3D, then I will pass.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I wonder if there isn't a more middle-of-the-road model, like say a much shorter exclusivity period (1-3 months?) or a non-exclusive arrangement. We've seen it where LOTR was bundled with Samsung players, but it was also available to be bought separately.

I would have to think there's a shelf life of a given exclusive. Look at how a desirable title this week is next month's Blockbuster bargain bin item. So when Samsung is trying to flog Megamind bundled products next Christmas, everyone will be thinking 'That old title?'

Yes, I know certain titles have been in short supply and have silly resale prices. But I also know that people who paid $200 for Avatar 3D this month will be second guessing when Avatar 3D is next fall's Black Friday $9.99 special...

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Avatar is exclusive to Panasonic until 2012. I still think these deals should not exist. It should be availale to everyone that has 3D tv regardless who made or sells the TV.

The 3D version of Megamind will be released exclusively to SAMSUNG once the Shrek deal expires sometime soon like March I think.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts