Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
50GB*

*Subject to your participation in our achievements program.

Couldn't find what the "achievements program" is but I'm guessing it will be explained after signing up. Their other plans come at a price, starting at 4.99 €/mo or about CAD$7.29/mo after currency exchange. They have servers in Canada, the EU and NZ and none in the US, Russia or China so their privacy claims could be legitimate.

Mega review.
Mega User Comments

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
when you are not paying for the product, you ARE the product. nothing's truly free ever. There is some catch in it for them

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
Another model is to give away a free basic product in order to build a customer base and sell more featured products to existing free customers down the road. Although a lot of companies rely on information collection and ad sales for revenue, some still use this model. A/V companies are a prime example. The pattern for cloud storage companies seems to be to launch with a generous storage allotment and then claw back some of that storage at a later date, forcing customers to cut back, change services or pay. It's the classic bait and switch scenario.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don’t mind if the free product has compulsory commercials, like candy crunch. I would not go for bait and switch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts