Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed these while going looking at Wikipedia but couldn't really find any more information on them. Mediaset is off of an application for Italian Entertainment TV and I assume EuroWorldSports is off the application for RCS Sports or whatever it was called. Anyway, I can't really find any info for these channels online, other than Mediaset Italia was supposed to launch this month. Anyone know anything about these new channels?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Yeah. They are canadian owned, the real name is Mediaset Italia Canada, and theyre owned by the same folks over at Telelatino Network (TLN) Probably to replace the defunct attempts at the stations Video Italia Canada and Leonardo World Canada.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
so far it looks like only Roger's is carrying this channel. See the attached Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediaset_Italia_(Canada)

notice the stations we are getting are not the true stations from europe, but are licenced by canadian networks and they're simply re-broadcasting the programming, but they can substitute their own programs and schedules?

This is different than RAI, which is actually still owns its channel and its simply distributed here due to public demand, where the other channels are probaly not due to demand, but due to the organization wanting to not loose their existing specialty channel licences on their defunct channels, so they quickly scramble to find another source of programming and make the necessary changes to the licences, am i right?

·
Banned
844 Posts
Anyone know anything about these new channels?
There isn't much to know thus far. I contacted TLN about Euroworldsports and they gave me some dumb reply about 'we don't have information about it yet' and they don't know when it will launch?! :eek: They own the channel yet have no information about it- yeah that makes sense?! :rolleyes:

While at a relative's house I managed to switch over and both channels were airing World Cup soccer so I don't think they are ready for launch yet.

where the other channels are probably not due to demand, but due to the organization wanting to not loose their existing specialty channel licenses on their defunct channels, so they quickly scramble to find another source of programming and make the necessary changes to the licenses, am i right?
First, if there is no demand for this channel, then it won't last very long like the other two Italian channels before it. TLN might want to price this channel a little bit better, I have a feeling cost may have had something to do with Leonardo World & Video Italia shutting down. These guys really know how to gouge the customer- they charge $8 a month for SKY TG24, a friggin' news channel!?

Second, this Mediaset channel is being launched with a different license, it has nothing to do with those other defunct channels. Co-incidentally I noticed that TLN did not give back those licenses to the CRTC, do they still think they can do something with them?! I am not Italian but it seems to me all Italians are interested in is RAI, so I am not sure if this new channel will fair any better although this is a general interest service unlike the other two which were niche services.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are not using those old licences. They've had other ones approved including RCS Sports and Soccer Television. Although according to Wiki, Mediaset is on a licence for Italian Entertainment TV, which I think was also approved a year or so ago.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Italian Entertainment TV was approved in Sept 2006, they get 36 months to commence operations of the licence, but TLN was given an extension to Sept 2010. So the licence is still active and they could use that licence to launch Mediaset Italia.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts