Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of figuring out the details of my ideal media setup, and have basically three interconnected questions:

First, is there any one here willing and able to give me a decent rundown of the pros and cons of the PS3 vs a dedicated Blue Ray player OTHER than the ability to play games as well on the PS3?

Second, in a similar note can you give me an idea of how useful a WD TV would be if I already have a PS3 (assuming most of what I watch is streamed from a PC)? I have some idea of the format compatibility of both devices, what I'm mainly looking for is peoples general impressionable of the usefulness of having both, but any format differences that are really significant would still be appreciated.

Finally, is there any such thing as a universal remote that will work with all of an Xbox 360, PS3 and a WD TV? It seems like the tricky part is getting a single device for Xbox and PlayStation. I've been looking at the Logitech stuff, but even that seems less than clear on whether I need special versions for either of the Xbox or the PlayStation, so any help on this?

PS: I suppose it would be helpful to say what I'm really trying to achieve here, basically I'm trying to get the ability to play Blu Rays and stream just about any video file from a Windows Home Server share (I'd like to avoid on the fly transcoding if I can, but I suppose that would be plan b). I already have an Xbox, and so that needs to integrate into whatever I'm doing, I'm not particularly attached to getting a PS3 as gaming device, but it seems like a pretty good Blue Ray device, and seems to have better media steaming compatibility than the XBox.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
If you are streaming off a pc then install ps3media server and you will be able to use the PS3 to play ALL formats, so the WDTV would be redundant other than it would use much less power than the ps3.
Th ps3 has better image quality than the WDTV too.

For a single remote you can get a harmony remote BUT you would need to add a harmony PS3 adapter to fully be able to control the ps3 as its not IR by default. An older harmony 880 or a harmony one would suit the bill perfectly.

I have been using a Ps3 for everything playback related in the theater room and it has been a perfect solution for years now.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
First, is there any one here willing and able to give me a decent rundown of the pros and cons of the PS3 vs a dedicated Blue Ray player OTHER than the ability to play games as well on the PS3?
Asked and answered many times on the forum so I recommend searching.

FYI, its Blu-ray Player not Blue Ray Player

1 - 3 of 3 Posts