Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am currently on Shaw's analogue cable service. The coax cable splits into two Hauppauge 1800 TV Tuner cards installed in my Vista Media Centre PC so I can record two programs at the same time.

I just received a trial DCT700 digital cable box from Shaw. Can I use this with my Media Centre PC and maintain all the functionality that Media Centre currently provides? For example, using the programming guide, the tuners, recording scheduled TV shows, etc.

The Hauppauge 1800's have analogue NTSC, ATSC, and Clear QAM inputs. The description states:
"Watch and record 'clear QAM' digital TV channels. Clear QAM are digital ATSC channels which are re-broadcast on digital cable TV"

What I don't understand is, the DCT700 provides tuner functions, right? How do I use the Hauppauge 1800 TV tuner cards to tune and record with?

Thanks,
Confused...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. I connected the DCT700 to a different input on my TV (AV input). The Media Center is connected to the HDMI input to the TV. I had to buy another cable splitter so that the single input could feed both TV tuner cards on my Media Center PC and the DCT700.

So the two devices do not work in conjunction with each other. When I want to watch digital TV, I switch the TV to the AV input and change channels with the DCT700.

When I want to record shows on my Media Center, I switch the TV to the HDMI input and watch TV in analogue.

What I didn't understand was that both digital and analogue signals come down the cable. So for the other old TVs I have in the house, I'm watching an analogue signal only.

Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I was splitting their analogue cable to 2 TVs and 4 tuners in 2 computers running Media Center. Shaw kept trying to convert me to digital and went so far as to send me, unsolicited, a DCT700. I returned the box, canceled their service and went strictly OTA. But that is not for everyone.

You didn't say if you were using the ATSC inputs to tune in the local HDTV channels? That would be a nice addition to your setup. I used that to supplement Shaw cable. When available, I recorded the HD-OTA channel rather than the Shaw channel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I have a home built Hoverman-Grey OTA antenna connected to the ATSC input on my TV. Unfortunately, the only channels I can receive are CBC, CTV, Global (sometimes), Omni, KVOS.

I'd like to cancel my Shaw subscription too. Those thieves have been jacking up the rates constantly so that I can barely afford it.

Do you have your HDTV Antenna plugged into your TV directly (like me), or do you have it plugged into your TV tuner card in your Media Center PC?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Both actually. I put a Clearstream 4 up in the attic. The signal is split and connected to two Hauppauge HVR-2250 tuner cards in Media Center and to the TV which only has a single coax input.

What finally changed my mind was that most of the recorded TV shows were OTA and the few that were cable I could do without.

I have the same channels as you, plus CITY-TV and the ShopNBC. I can't wait until this summer when we go all digital.

It sounds like you have 7MC all figured out. When I had Shaw Cable, I used Peter Near's ATSC hack to enable ATSC reception and then combined the channels with the Guide listings from Shaw.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My antenna is just leaning against a window near my TV. Unfortunately, it points south, so my signals aren't always very strong. I must be getting a bounced signal somehow from the Mt Seymour transmitters.

I thought of putting the antenna in the attic, but I have a concrete tile roof, which I think will block the signal strength somewhat. What kind of roof do you have? I've also been thinking of putting the antenna outside on the roof, but would I have to worry about lightning strikes???

Oh yeah, I also can get Citytv too, but I never watch it because they don't have anything worth watching on.

I wasn't aware you can attach the antenna to the TV tuner cards in the Media Centre PC. Interesting link you attached. I'm running Vista right now, but upgrading to Win7 is on my to do list. When I do, I'll try using that hack.

So I guess now that you're off Shaw, you don't have any TV listing guide? Or can you download it from the Internet?

Thanks for the tips; you've been very helpful!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
7MC uses the guide from zap2it.com. It works rather well. Too bad we have to jump through those hoops in the first palace to make stuff work. Microsoft is just not interested in fixing ATSC support in Canada for 7MC.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Asphalt shingles. In another thread, members suggested that I ground it even though it was in the attic. Either to eliminate static charge or to protect against lightning. Grounding an outdoor antenna is absolutely required.

I just setup Media Center to use Bellingham WA as my location. The OTA guide listings include all the Canadian and US stations in Vancouver.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm surprised you would need to ground an indoor antenna! I can understand needing to ground an outdoor antenna, but indoor?

Well I've installed Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit) on my Media Center now. I like some of the new features in it compared to the Vista version, but I don't see the Sports section where you can get scores for the NHL, etc. Funny thing is, I have another PC with Win 7 Home Premium, and that version of Media Center has the Sports features.

I'll have to play with plugging my OTA antenna into my Hauppauge 1800 cards now and see what I find.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts