Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,214 Posts
The Windows 7 features you describe are part of Mediaroom 2.0 which has not been implemented anywhere to my knowledge. I think I also read somewhere that Microsoft will charge an additional fee for the Win7 capabilities, so providers my choose to not license them.

·
Registered
253 Posts
That article lists an Xbox 360 as being able to play content from a Mediaroom 1.0 system, but that can't even happen on Telus Optik can it?

·
Super Moderator
17,214 Posts
I think the Mediaroom 1.0 XBOX interface has been implemented by only 1 European telco. AT&T U-verse, with over 2 million subs, is planning to implement XBOX as a STB late this year. I don't know for sure, but I think they are waiting for the Mediaroom 2.0 implementation.

My guess is that if Telus does decide to implement the XBOX feature, they won't do it before 2.0.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reading about how the new Telus PVR is based on Mediaroom, I got to thinking that it is odd that they don't support integration with Media Center from a Windows box. I did a bit of googling and it seems that Mediaroom 2.0 should support this (along with a bunch of other cool features).

Does anyone know if Telus has any plans to adopt this? I would love if I could stream content from my computer to the TV directly through the cable box or PVR.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Telus Optik TV has now updated their Media Room software to v2.0. You might need to force your box to download the update by unplugging your box.

But I doubt Telus has enabled this feature. They will probably want to charge for this.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Man, I would LOVE to have this capability in an HTPC. Mine almost never gets used anymore except for the odd HD-DVD as I now have a PS/3 for Blu-Ray and the HTPC is useless for TV now. This would be sweet being able to put everything back in one box for all my media needs. We'll need Netflix Canada to get on board as well with their Media Centre integration like they do in the U.S. Just dreamin'....

Telus on HTPC probably will never happen though as they'll be too worried about someone hacking the encryption and copying the content for distribution. Not an unreasonable concern....

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
We'll need Netflix Canada to get on board as well with their Media Centre integration like they do in the U.S. Just dreamin'....

tweet @microsoftcanada and ask them for netflix and to fix ATSC support in Media Center for Canada. That is about all we can do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts