Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1161 - 1180 of 1191 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there anyone who lives in south Winnipeg who has a working set-up to receive KNRR from Pembina ND on a consistent basis?? If so, what make and model of antenna, how many dB gain from the booster, and height of antenna in relation to surrounding environment? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts

Is there anyone who lives in south Winnipeg who has a working set-up to receive KNRR from Pembina ND on a consistent basis??
Hello, rojo; welcome to the forum.

I don't live anywhere near you, but here is a TVFool signal report using an address in Linden Woods, postal code R3P 2E8:
TV Fool

Reception of KNRR looks possible at the above sample location, but a special VHF antenna, like the Stellar Labs 30-2476, and perhaps a custom filter will be needed.

The KNRR signal gets stronger as you move south from the center of Winnipeg, but some areas are better than others.

What is your postal code?

The KNRR signal is weaker at the center of Winnipeg because it is at the fringe of KNRR coverage:

You have adjacent channel interference to KNRR on real channel 12 from CHMI on 13, but the antenna will be aimed south which will make CHMI weaker.

If you use a preamp for KNRR, it will probably be overloaded by CKY on 7, which is almost in the same direction as KNRR. It might be necessary to order a custom filter from Tin Lee Electronics to make CKY weaker.

The VHF antenna can be kept separate and selected with an A/B switch or combined with a UHF antenna for your other channels from the NNE using a UVSJ UHF/VHF combiner.

·
Registered
386 Posts
13 is very strong, you need a really good signal from 12 to pick it up with most TV set receivers. Same with channel 8 WDAZ it's next to 7 which is very strong in the area between Winnipeg and the US border.
Selectivity on these ATSC receivers is not the best. The filter(s) and antennae @rabbit73 suggests would help, a lot to spend with unknown results. I am much closer to the US border than Winnipeg and still need a separate directional antenna and receiver to pick up 12 (and 8).
You could try building your own yagi antenna for ch 12, there are lots of web sites that have measurements for home-building antennas. Need side-lobe rejection as well as gain that yagis are fairly good for. Certainly a great learning experience if you are at all interested in RF. :)

·
Super Moderator
16,569 Posts
Thanks for mentioning that. I was recording SEAL Team on Global from my antenna and the signal died at 8:11. CTV, Citytv and CBC English are fine.

·
Registered
386 Posts
CKY off air?

No channel 7 CKY this am. Maybe a lightning strike last night? Hope they are back soon.

·
Super Moderator
16,569 Posts
I checked CKY a few times yesterday morning and it was off the air for me as well. I checked again this morning and it's working again.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Not getting 12 or 13 today, likely storm-related or power is out...

·
Super Moderator
16,569 Posts
I'm not getting Citytv on 13 either. I can't remember if it was working last night. My power was out at home from Thursday until Friday evening due to the storm. When I got home and tried CKY, it didn't seem to work until sometime after 7, but it's been solid since.

I never get KNRR in Winnipeg.

·
Registered
386 Posts
FOX on 12 is back up, still no CityTV on 13. Looking at power outage maps they night have no power... Lots of outages in the Elie area.

·
Super Moderator
16,569 Posts
Channel 13 is back. I heard on the news yesterday there was a major outage in a Portage transmission facility which knocked out the whole city. Updates today are that power is gradually being restored.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For the past week it seems the CKND-DT off-air signal has been shut off. Anyone know when itll be return if so? Not interested in any programming except the morning 6 - 9 am show.

·
Super Moderator
16,569 Posts
I just checked CKND and it works fine on my PC tuner and Samsung TV with 2 different rabbit-ear antennas.

·
Registered
386 Posts
CKND signal usual level out here over the last week or so, but I have had to be out early so I may have missed issues in the morning 6-9am. Maybe check your antenna, something might have changed. Also this time of year the trees are leafed out which can attenuate signals if you have an indoor or low (height) antenna.

1161 - 1180 of 1191 Posts