Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
641 - 660 of 1224 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Lineman,

Global is using a fibre headend directly from Calgary Master Control for all the programming. The news is looped from Regina, to Vancouver then to Calgary and then to the tower. It's about a 3 second delay. That setup feeds Shaw Direct.

CTV does much the same thing. Their programming is fed on fibre from a central source. It was on microwave when CTV Saskatchewan was independent. The microwave was essentially a backup for newsfeeds a decade ago and the main way to broadcast. When they moved Master Control out of Saskatoon, that was basically the end of it.

CBC, from what I remember after having a cup of coffee there, is also fibre.

None of the "big three" use Satellite downlinks for on air, for all intents and purposes. There are feed centres, but, simply because there aren't any Master Controls in the vast majority of TV stations, it would a nightmare to take a 4th generation Bell or Shaw feed from Satellite and expect it to work properly.

Just clearing up some misconceptions, and now, back to our regularly scheduled thread

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the reply - That does explain things. I am glad they are using fiber as the Shaw and Bell feeds are not good enough for a national feed. Thats why the picture quality is so much better on OTA channels - loving it.

CBC must have the satellite feeds up for Bell and Shaw - as they have 5 English and 5 French up on Anik F1R right now.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
I thought that any broadcasters using satellite feeds would be using feeds from Shaw Broadcast Service (fka Cancom), and not Shaw Direct or Bell which a DBS service, not a carrier.

Of course, Shaw BS doesn't carry HD for all broadcasters, so CHCH OTA in Ottawa and London is very low quality SD, while Global and Rogers use Rogers fibre for feeds.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I sense us going off topic, so I'll be quick. There are now 4 "hubs" at Global. They get their programming either via in house productions or via satellite from the US distributors. Back in the day, we got refeeds of those prefeeds from a dedicated sat channel for some shows, or recorded them ourselves.

Once Master Control was gone, all that became redundant. It's fibre, all the way. Last I looked, my old stomping grounds didn't have much of a dish farm at all.

That's pretty much the way it worked at CTV. No one I know of needs Shaw Broadcast Services for much of anything, anymore, because the infrastructure it supported is no longer in existence. SCN will be using a bizarre fibre relay to Access' dish farm, even though they are located in the CBC building because CBC only has one downlink.

Done now, I promise. We could probably continue this in the main forum, but keep in mind that I'm a bit out of date.

·
Registered
15 Posts
KMDE 25.1 Devils Lake, N.D. received in Winnipeg

Doctorzero: Lucky bugger. :) KMDE doesn't even show up in my TVfool report. Perhaps it's because I'm more central than south. Perhaps I should put up my Gray-Hoverman and see if I can possibly get something with it.
Had no luck picking up KMDE again last night, so it must've been "tropo", which sometimes causes a station's signal to carry much further than usual. Like most U.S. stations, KMDE's signal is only just strong enough to go up to the border and no further (though, unlike the commercial stations, Prairie Public's Canadian audience is actually worth something to the station).

·
Registered
3 Posts
East Kildonan coverage

Thanks for letting me know its not likely that I will be able pick up CTV or CityTV on digital over the air on the east side of Winnipeg without an outside antenna. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'd totally donate if PBS had OTA that reached to Winnipeg with a rooftop antenna, but it's not likely to happen. Considering the fact that you seem to need a rooftop antenna to reliably get most Winnipeg stations aside from Global.

Nobody seems to be getting channel 13. What is going on over there at City TV? I've heard of more people getting KNRR.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Thanks for letting me know its not likely that I will be able pick up CTV or CityTV on digital over the air on the east side of Winnipeg without an outside antenna. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.
Glad to hear Princess Auto sells a decent OTA antenna, not many retailers stock anything of any use anymore because they seem to think OTA TV ended on the 1st.

Will have to try and get 25.1 from Devils Lake, don't think I have logged that one yet.

13.1 comes in good here at Morris off the side of the antenna (pointed at downtown WPG) as does KNRR off the back. I suspect digital signals are very sensitive to electrical interference and multipath common in an urban area so antennae need to be higher for that s/n ratio to improve.
-C.

·
Registered
35 Posts
So I'm in East Kildonan (Winnipeg) and after attaching the rabbit ears to our TV last night, the only channel we're able to pick up over the air is Global HD. Now it's pretty impressive...actually said wow when I first turned to it...compares equally to our MTS HD feeds...but it's the only channel we get over the air. Is CTV going to be strengthening its signal eventually, so the whole city can get it without an outdoor antenna? Not sure why Global comes in sooooooo strong, but CTV doesn't at all. I'm hoping for the best.

CBC will be nice when it comes, and I'm assuming its a channel the whole city will be able to pick up with indoor rabbit ears. Anyone know for sure about that?

Is there a better indoor antenna you can buy that would boost any signal I might be able to get here in East K?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I live downtown Winnipeg and scanned for channels today too. All I get is Global HD as well. According to TVFool and my apartment facing north, we should receive 6 stations very strong. CBC and SRC will be broadcasting from the same tower as Global, but they're not up and running yet. CTV is 8 miles away, I'm surprised we're not picking it up at all.

I'm using a new Terk antenna.

·
Registered
35 Posts
No, did not download the antenna chart. I will look for it. I guess my bigger question is, will a channel like CTV eventually boost its signal for all of Winnipeg? Or will it always be about outdoor antennas and things? It's reassuring, at least, to hear that CBC will be using the same tower as Global.

·
Registered
3 Posts
West end of Portage Ave Wpg

At the west end of the city, here were my observations:

UHF loop on the back of the TV: Global HD, barely

Rabbit ears at the south end of the house: Global and CHMI coming in strong, no CKY or CIIT

Rabit ears outside (pointed towards CTV tower, one element vertical, one horizontal): All channels coming in strong; Global pixelating (I suspect due to an overloaded amplifier somewhere in the chain, my Hauppauge 950Q tuner card on the PC indicated SNR=27 versus ~22 for other channels, but it seemed happy with the signal).

I notice that if I point the antenna too far to the west (towards CBC on ch6), I lose CKY (guessing due to the tuner reducing gain because of the stronger adjacent signal) and CIIT. As it is, CKY is very touchy, the antenna has to be pointed "just right" and even then it pixelates occasionally.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Regina update...

Got home from a trip to Bismarck, ND yesterday and immediately experimented.

I live near McIntosh St./9th Avenue North in Regina. Attic antenna (ancient 1970s model, RG59 to the basement is original, RG6 from there to the TV is a few months old).

I get CTV at 93% signal, no dropouts. Gorgeous 1080i.

I get CBC and Radio-Canada in 720p at 94% signal, no dropouts. Perfect picture.

Global still sits at about 19% signal strength, and is completely unwatchable.

I'm going to have to come up with another solution to get Global. My wife is completely against an external antenna installation, so I'm wondering if I can install another antenna, aimed at Global's site northwest of Regina, and connect it inline with the existing attic antenna.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you live in the red zone, you should have little trouble at all receiving the station in question as long as you have an indoor antenna. (Note, however, that you’ll need a VHF antenna to receive CTV, KNRR or CityTV, and a UHF antenna to receive CBC, SRC, Global or Joy TV.)

Got that from this website: http://theviewfromseven.wordpress.c...digital-tv-in-winnipeg-and-southern-manitoba/

So that explains why my rabbit ears aren't picking up CTV. Right? Found this vhs/uhf indoor antenna at Best Buy - basically it's a cheap possible fix to pick up both VHF and UHF signals. Unless of course my rabbit ears pick up both anyway, and the CTV signal just isn't strong enough in the city...which I find strange.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Rabit ears outside (pointed towards CTV tower, one element vertical, one horizontal): All channels coming in strong;
This surprises me. I would have expected best performance from the "ears" both being horizontal or almost horizontal, but if it works, it works.

You say you suspect an overloaded amp, do you know what kind of amp it is?

- Trip

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Winnipeg

FYI folks — Global and CBC/Radio-Canada DTV are not on the same broadcast tower. They are nearby buildings in downtown Winnipeg.

·
Registered
19 Posts
stupid question OTA Winnipeg

I'm sure this has been asked and answered 1000 time in the forum, but I going to ask so we have it in this thread.

Which channel are VHF and which channel are UHF? I mean the true radio frequency that they transmit on.

I am looking to buy an antenna but I want to know if I need UHF and VHF.

Thanks, Joe

·
Super Moderator
18,258 Posts
@jets1961, there are 2 excellent sticky threads in the main OTA forum:

OTA Antenna Chart
OTA FAQ & Knowledge Base

641 - 660 of 1224 Posts