Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
501 - 520 of 1267 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
KNRR in Steinbach, Manitoba Area?

Is anyone in the Steinbach, Manitoba area picking up KNRR?

I'm about to build a more permanent Single-Bay Gray-Hoverman and testing it up in my attic for local OTA, but figured if I'm going to be messing around up there anyway, maybe I should try for KNRR.

If you're in the are and getting it, what kind of antenna are you using?

· Registered
478 Posts
Let me see if I understand this with regards to CFRE (Global Regina): based on all the preliminary results, the only person able to pick it up is in Moose Jaw. Reports from 4 distinct areas of Regina have been a no-go. I'm North East, Winnipeg and Ring Road. Someone else is South East by the U of R, and nothing. Someone downtown, nothing again. By the General Hospital, nothing.

Has anyone in Regina managed to pick this up OTA with an indoor antenna?

· Registered
478 Posts
Was just in Wal Mart, and ran into a guy being sold a digital converter box and a "digital" antenna so he cold get Global Regina. I set him straight on that.

He had good reception prior to the switch, has new TV's a month old so it might be something with Global. I'll have to torment my old boss.

· Registered
52 Posts
Moose Jaw only for Global... You would think that they would try and beam a little power towards Regina where there is a bigger population. My understanding is that they are using a directional antenna which is beamed to send the signal to both cities. A friend of mine used to be head technician back in the days when they were STV. I recall a conversation we had a few years back about how the antenna was mounted incorrectly on their tower when they built the station back in 1987. I cant remember if he said upside down or backwards... I wonder if they ever did get a crane out to their tower in Disley to fix it. Maybe its time for them to have another look. I called the station and was told they have had a number of reports of people actually getting their signal in Regina. Maybe it was from people who had roof top of big antennas in their attics.

· Registered
951 Posts
Not sure what Global Regina is doing that makes it a hassle to pick up. In comparison, I am receiving Global Saskatoon HD with just a regular $10 antenna from walmart, with a 98 - 100 % signal in my basement hooked up to Bell PVR. I will also get it on my upstairs tv at the same percentage with the antenna hooked up and at around 60% if any sort of cable is plugged into the antenna slot on the tv.

· Registered
5 Posts
I'm not having any luck picking up Global HD in Regina either. I was able to get it OK (watchable but not perfectly clear) on analog prior to the switch but now I got nothing. I live in Lakeview area. I was using a monoprice amplified UHF antenna before and I've also tried using old school rabbit ears and both aren't getting it.

Is anyone in Regina able to get it?

· Registered
3 Posts
I did in my camper at Island View

Island View is about half way down Last Mountain Lake near the park. My camper has one of those crank up wingman antennas. Came in clear right away

Brother inlaw did the same but in north Regina

Just got it in south regina with philips MANT940 antenna mounted sideways. had to refind channel for it to work. PRE-CH on my remote

· Registered
3 Posts
reset tuner?

first just want to mention I'm new and not sure but in my first case it was a new tv so it did a fresh channel search. My brother inlaw on his and my city one we had to force a fresh channel search otherwise there was nothing. Could it be that it needs the fresh search to switch tuners?

· Registered
951 Posts
Do any of you that can't get Global Regina HD have a Bell 9242 or 9200 receiver, or even 6100 that is capable of receiving an antenna hook up. If so try hooking one up to it and seeing if there is any different results.

· Registered
214 Posts
CFRE

I used to live in Moose jaw back in the 80's. It seems if I remember correctly it was always easier to receive CFRE in Moose jaw with rabbit ears, than it was in Regina.I had freinds who were attending university there, and could never pick up CFRE 11 from the university area, but could always receive 2&9 no problem, yet I could get CFRE 11 in Moose jaw with rabbit ears.You probably would need a good outdoor antenna to receive the signal in Regina.I wonder if the transmitter is closer to Moose jaw or if the signal carries better there.

· Registered
7 Posts
Oddy Thanks for the link to tvfool.... pretty neet. I didn't know such a thing existed.
I have been reading/looking about/for a good OTA antena. I wasn't sure what I could get, digital, analog, HD from 100 miles or less.

I live in southern Sask.

Thanks again... wow.

Oddy wrote:

Tried CFRE with my antenna in the north east today, nothing.

TVFool report here

Is Global's antenna even plugged in?

· Registered
28 Posts
Do any of you that can't get Global Regina HD have a Bell 9242 or 9200 receiver, or even 6100 that is capable of receiving an antenna hook up. If so try hooking one up to it and seeing if there is any different results.
I don't fit into the "can't get Global Regina HD" category, but I do have a Bell 9242 receiver and a 6100 receiver. Both are able to lock onto the signal and show a strength of about 90. Similar to the signal strength on the Samsung HDTV usually connected.

As I said before, the antenna is a do it yourself bowtie, hanging on the outside wall about 9 feet off the ground, facing straight east and not the north east that TVfool says the signal is coming from. The transmitter is about 24 miles from Moose Jaw. No amplification on the antenna.

· Registered
73 Posts
Don't thank me, thank Digital Home & Stampeder. :)

I don't have any Bell receivers to test with, just 3 indoor antennas. I'm in a townhouse apartment on the ground floor. I'm also facing the wrong direction from where Global's transmitter is, my window is on the opposite wall. So yeah, not a lot of options for me unless they crank up their transmitter to a decent level. Boo. (Speaking as a concerned citizen, by no means an expert of course!)

· Registered
45 Posts
GH Aiming and Reflectors

In the process of building, mounting,and aiming a Gray Hoverman in Steinbach, Manitoba before the transition. A recent quick test with a rough-built reflectorless GH got me Global's digital signal on channel 40, so things look hopeful.

If I'm trying to pick up more than one station in slightly different directions, should I aim for the weakest signals? And if they're in slightly different directions, am I better off without a reflector?

Also, if I'm picking up a strong signal on channel 7 pre-transition, will it most likely be a strong signal on channel 7 post-transition? (trying to decide if I need to build the GH with Narods for VHF-hi)

If it works, I'm including my TVFool below...

501 - 520 of 1267 Posts