Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
361 - 380 of 1267 Posts

· Registered
209 Posts
Sorry I didn't reply earlier Jets 1961. I meant I can pick up A-Channel CITYW without an antenna (almost). I never watch it now since I got cable and an HD box. The only OTA DTV now is Global and it is easy to receive here downtown.
It took me 2 months to find a piece of wire built to plug into a coaxial input. CKND is a 1080i picture?

· Registered
304 Posts
East Fort Gary - Pembina/McGilvary

Got a cheap FS antena, connected to my 9200 Bell Sat receiver and just shoved the antena behind the component cabinet so you can't see it. Scanned for channels, getting 90% signal. Excellent picture quality, better than satellite. Now let's do CBC, CTV and A channel please.

· Registered
15 Posts
Can I use a bunny ear to receive CKND, CBC, CTV at the same time?

I have a hard time to get it work properly. The CKND looks good but I can never get a good signal for CBC and CTV, always get snowy picture no matter where I point the antenna(s). Is that normal? If not, what's the properly to setup the bunny ear? THANKS

· Registered
15 Posts
Thanks, it sounds very complicated :eek:

So snowry picture on analog channels is normal? Any words when will CBC and CTV will go DTV? And when they do, will I able to use one rabbit ear to receive them or do I need a different type of antenna?

· Super Moderator
20,995 Posts
@008, a snowy picture on analog is normal with rabbit ears. CBC and CTV will probably go digital in the summer (August 31 at the latest).

The CBC transmitter will be on the Richardson Building at Portage and Main (near CKND's transmitter) using digital channel 27 so you should have no trouble.

The CTV transmitter will still be on Highway 75 near Ste. Agathe about 20 miles south of Winnipeg using digital channel 7. You can probably aim your rabbit ears for CTV and you will be able to pick up CKND (40) and CBC (27), depending on your location.

· Registered
40 Posts
I have an old Channel 7 - 12 Antenna in my attic here in EK in Winnipeg that years ago I used to pick up KCND channel 12 from USA wonder if it will still work for OTA on my SAT Receiver?
If it is the the classic antenna everyone used to have with the ch 12 on the top and the ch 6 on the bottom you would likely get from EK:

ch 7 CKY (analog) off the ch 12 antenna
ch 6 CBWT (analog) off the bottom antenna
ch 9 CKND (analog) sort of off both
ch 35 CIIT (analog) probably off the ch 12
ch 40 CKND (digital) probably off the ch 12

Channel 12 KNRR (digital) would be fairly unlikely most of the time from an attic mounted antenna in EK. Channel 13 CHMI and ch 3 CBFWT would likely be not all that great because they are relatively weak and neither antenna will do a good job of receiving them. The ch 12 antenna would do a great job at receiving ch 13 if you have the room to rotate it 90 degrees but that would be at the expense of ch 7.

· Registered
98 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Reed Solomon my FTA Sat Receiver does not have ATSC support, but in Europe there is a card for this, so maybe it will eventually get here. So I guess buying an OTA Antenna will not work with it for now for reliable reception now. Is there much out there for reliable in Winnipeg??

Bwalzer, you are exactly correct with those channels. My mother never believed in Cable and we finally bought her a big ALL Band antenna many years ago, but for years she had that Upper Antenna for 7 - 12 and the Lower Antenna one for channels 1 - 6. She got exactly the 5 -6 Channels with the ALL Band you listed until she moved out last year. Think there was one more channel - the French channel 3 / CBWFT. I am sorry we never took the All Bander when she left as I am sure the new house owner likely got cable.

The 7 / 12 antenna I have in the Attic came from her place, & worked with a direct flat twin lead connection and a 300 to 75 ohm adapter to the Auxiliary Input of my old XBR 31 inch Sony TV. I used it as a backup if my then Cable went down. Many years ago I checked it out at 6:00 in the morning and remember picking up a channel from USA - think it was channel 8 maybe WDAZ? It was really amazingly clear for about 20 minutes but by 8:00 AM it was gone. Haven't tried it out to my newer Flat Panel HDTV that I got 2 years ago. Just checked and there is an Antenna In Connector on the back of my new TV, but I'm now using it as for a connection to my Satellite Receiver.

· Registered
98 Posts
Phage, have the same Bell 9200 Receiver and there is indeed a Coax 8VSB connector on the back of the Bell Receiver. Great find, now I wonder what will work when connected to it, and how to set it up? That is what is an FS Antenna and where can I pick one up?

· Super Moderator
20,995 Posts
Just checked and there is an Antenna In Connector on the back of my new TV, but I'm now using it as for a connection to my Satellite Receiver.
Probably not the best unless you have no other choice. See FAQ - Cables & Connections.

cheap FS antenna = cheap Future Shop antenna

The only ATSC channel right now is channel 40 CKND-DT which the 9200 should pick up. You may be able to receive this with your 7-12 antenna since the signal is so strong. If it works, all the other Winnipeg channels should work when they convert to digital this summer. The 9200 may also pick up the analog OTA channels, but I'm not sure.

· Registered
164 Posts
Depending on the type of TV you have, if it's a newer brand name LCD or plasma chances are it has a built in ATSC tuner. If so, try plugging in an antenna into the TV and scanning for channels you'll probably easily pick up Global HDTV.

· Registered
39 Posts
Haven't tried it out to my newer Flat Panel HDTV that I got 2 years ago. Just checked and there is an Antenna In Connector on the back of my new TV, but I'm now using it as for a connection to my Satellite Receiver.
Don't you have an alternative output on your sat receiver?
Don't forget to switch from cable to antenna before you scan.
Max.

· Registered
98 Posts
NosmoKing, FTA Sat Receiver needs an ATSC Card, the Bell 9200 RX has a Coax
8VSB input and I need to scan in the Local Channels. The only problem is I need to change Bell 9200 Rx from Dual Mode (which I use for 2 TV's in separate rooms), over to Single Mode which means I can only use it for my Main TV. But it would be worth trying.

Thanks for the great info. Dr Dave, it would be interesting to see what becomes available on OTA here later this year, but with a custom or purchased OTA Antenna is anything available from USA in Winnipeg, or are these OTA Antennas Only for Local Reception?

Reed Solomon it's a Plasma HDTV, I'll give it a try, but I think my best bet would be to Scan in the Locals on my Bell 9200 Sat Receiver.

· Super Moderator
20,995 Posts
@mitigator, check out TVFool.com for pending channels. KNRR (FOX) channel 12 near Pembina may be possible. The other U.S. channels are probably too far away. Local channels including CHMI (CITY) channel 13 should be OK.

· Registered
98 Posts
Thanks Dr.Dave, well I hooked up the 7 /12 attic Antenna via twin lead & using a 300 to 75 ohm adapter to my Bell 9200 RX via the 8VSB coax connector. Scanned in 8 channels: 6 Analog and 2 Digital. CKY TV is very poor, CKND Digital Global TV is Excellent (76 Quality reading) & looks like its in HD. With the Other CKND channel that scanned in there is a message on screen that says NOT Available - call your TV Station? Other 6 analog channels are so poor they are not viewable. I am wondering with a proper outdoor OTA Antenna (installed in summer)what else would be available, ie KNNR from USA? Also Guess we need to wait till other local Stations go HD? Anyone know what are the the good makes of OTA Antennas & Costs?

· Registered
40 Posts
KNRR in Winnipeg...

I don't think that anyone should be getting all that excited about receiving KNRR in Winnipeg. The ERP (Effective Radiated Power) of KNRR was 316kW before the digital transition. The ERP of KNRR is presently 4.44kW. That is a signal reduction of 19dB. Assuming you believe the factor of 10dB for the improvement due to going digital that leaves us with a signal that is 9dB lower than it used to be.

I used to watch the analog version of KNRR and can report that there were some pretty bad days from time to time. Thus it would be reasonable to try to get things at least as good as before. That means we need to find an extra 9dB somewhere. I was using a 10 element channel 12 antenna at a height of about 25 feet with a preamp. This is more or less what everyone used to use in the old days of KCND (sans preamp). TVFool tells me that an extra 30 feet of height would get us another 6dB. Adding another 10 element channel 12 antenna and combining the signals could get us up to another 3dB.

So my minimum suggested rig for receiving KNRR for someone living in a bungalow would be:

1. A 40 foot guyed push up mast.
2. Two stacked VHF-hi 10 element (or more) antennas (ex Winegard YA-1713).
3. Low loss signal combiner.
4. A good preamp (it needs to deal with a very strong channel 7).
5. A receiver that doesn't mind an amplified adjacent channel 13.

All of that gets you a standard definition signal. It is not known if the people who run KNRR will ever upgrade to HD.

· Registered
164 Posts
I don't think that anyone should be getting all that excited about receiving KNRR in Winnipeg.
I'd be pretty excited if I could pick it up, SD and all. I remember as a kid with no knowledge of how antennas work trying to pick it up. It was good fun.

I think instead the gist of what you're trying to say is nobody should have any expectations or optimism that they will receive a knrr signal, and if they actually do, it's more than likely thanks to freak meteorological phenomenon or luck than anything else.

361 - 380 of 1267 Posts