Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to mount my HDTV on a wall , and I need to put a few 90 degree bends in the cable because on a half wall ledge.I'm going to use 28 AWG high speed cable , and the length will be approximately 25 feet.
Is this too long for 28 AWG cable ?? Or should I use a few 90 degree connectors and use a heavier cable ??

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
It may work, it may not. It can often depend on the equipment used (some sends a stronger signal, some receives a weaker signal). Whenever I go over 15', I use 22 ga, perhaps 24ga. Can you use two 45 degree bends or route the cable somewhat differently, or have a "larger radius" bend?

Connectors plus cable would probably introduce more loss than a single (thin) cable. If it doesn't work, you could try a repeater, which goes near the "receiving" end, plus a small length of cable.

You could see if it works before feeding it through the conduit or wall? I have a 90 degree bend myself, but it's got about 4-5" bend radius on my 22ga 25' cable.

·
Registered
491 Posts
the length will be approximately 25 feet. Is this too long for 28 AWG cable ??
No.
Or should I use a few 90 degree connectors and use a heavier cable ??
Additional connectors will create more problems than you need. Always minimize the number of potential failure points.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay thanks. If my wife would let me drill through the wooden sill running around the room,I could use a much shorter cable.Maybe I'll work on that again..

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I use a Monster 1000HD 50' HDMI cable running 36-bit colour from my SC-25 receiver to my PT-AE3000U without any problem.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
90 degree connectors tend to NOT give any problem. It's the swivel-able connectors that tend TO give a lot of problem. (Tried Ultralink, no-name brand, Energy, they all gave me problem, even the old Monster swivel HDMI adapter gave me problem -- as they were all manufactured by the same company. Only the new Monster swivel HDMI adapter can pass through 3D and deep-colour without problem)

side note: I do NOT work for Monster Cable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts