Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Canada, television coverage of the tournament will air on TSN and Global TV while radio coverage will be available on Sirius XM.

TSN’s live coverage begins with The Masters Par 3 Contest on Wednesday, April 6 at 3 p.m. ET and continues with the first round on Thursday, April 7 at 3 p.m. ET. Along with live coverage of the second round on Friday, April 8 at 3 p.m. ET, TSN will repeat the third and final rounds at 7:30 p.m. ET on Thursday and Friday repsectively.

Global TV will provide tee-to-tee coverage during the final two rounds. Coverage will be Saturday, April 9th from 2:30pm until 7:00pm ET and Sunday, April 10 from 1:00pm until 7:00pm ET,

·
Registered
945 Posts
Dont forget the boatload of streaming on tsn.ca, amen corner, 15&16, two feature pairings, etcetc.

And I cant remember, but is this the one event that Global cant simsub or do they anyways?

·
Registered
971 Posts
They do sim-sub on Bell but Augusta National has strict limits on the number of commercials that can be aired per hour. I could only wish major league sports would do the same!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Only 4 minutes per hour of commercials IIRC. So much better than other golf events where that number is tripled or more. I believe The Players is the only other event that does this (and they have more than 4 minutes per hour). The other majors should at least go to a format like this, it makes golf much more watchable.

Both TSN and Global will produce 1-hour pre-shows before their coverage that are hosted live from Augusta.

·
Registered
170 Posts
hugh,

I think it should be pointed out that the first hour of the coverage on both Saturday and Sunday is simply a 'Live from the MASTERS' and will not feature Live network coverage of the action but more behind the scenes stories and updates from what is happening on the course.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't seen any announcements but I'm sure if Bell and Shaw are carrying then Rogers will as well. I believe they all carried it last year in 3D

·
Registered
954 Posts
TSN is forced by the Masters to have no bottom line (as is ESPN). CBS can't show any network promos for their shows (dramas / comedies) or identifiers via commercials during the broadcast as well, and you barely notice any of the network logos on the scoreboard. The Masters is very authorative in the broadcasting of its event.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
They are. ESPN, TSN and Global can't air any commercials for their shows either. I think we will see the same few commercials on TSN and Global during the entire weekend because there are only a few sponsors. Of course, because there are only 4 minutes of ads/hour, it isn't bad at all. They went the entire first 30 minutes without a commercial today.

I'd guess that the only coverage that comes close to this is The Open on BBC, which is commercial free of course.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Check channel 900. That is the 3D preview channel on Rogers.

As a golfer, Master's week is the best week of the year. Minimal commercials and the iron-fisted approach to no stupid promos, scrolling bars, etc. that ANGC imposes on it's broadcasters is so refreshing.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I watched the first round today that I had recorded. I got the sense that TSN was doing more 4 minutes of commercials per hour. I did not time them...

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
TSN wasn't showing more commercials than ESPN. It averages out at about 4 minutes per hour. I think the first and last hours had less than the in-between hours. This is what I noticed from watching most, but not all, of it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Check channel 900. That is the 3D preview channel on Rogers.

As a golfer, Master's week is the best week of the year. Minimal commercials and the iron-fisted approach to no stupid promos, scrolling bars, etc. that ANGC imposes on it's broadcasters is so refreshing.
I did check 900, no golf for sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rogers Masters 2011

Look like Rogers is the only company on the planet not showing the Masters in 3D - guess I'll have to move to Shaw territory:(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Per Rogers "Shaw bought the rights to show it in 3D so Rogers can't show it".
They couldn't explain why Bell is showing it too. I said perhaps they bought the rights to show it too. Guess Rogers doesn't care about customers who love golf and have 3D.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
So people complain when Global doesn't air a pre-game that they don't care about golf and just want money. Then Global makes the effort to put a pre-game show on with the limited resources they have (which is no sports department), and people still complain. It is a lot better than two encores of The Simpsons.

TSN, ESPN and Golf Channel all have bottomlines during their pre-game coverage. What is wrong with a countdown to coverage? Fox, TNT and ESPN have used it for years for NASCAR coverage. Just this morning I saw BBC use it to countdown until their F1 qualifying. I've seen it on other sports too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts