Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone,

I just moved into a condo and I'm having trouble with the washroom switches.

The master bathroom exhaust must be run 24/7.

If I turn off the master bathroom exhaust, then the powder room' exhaust cannot turn on.

Currently:

Master Bathroom: Dual Single Pole Switch (the top controls the exhaust, the bottom controls the lights)
Powder Room: 1 Single Switch (controls both light and exhaust)

Is this normal to have to keep the master bathroom exhaust running 24/7 in order to use the powder room?

Thank you

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
I would say no but a lot depends on location. In Canada, some provinces have regulations that require bathroom fans to either be on continuously or automatically controlled. That's mainly to reduce humidity and water damage from condensation. Don't know about the US.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It really depends on the design of the room and how it was wired. You are paying condo fees so you can always ask them to come and look to see what's what. Not sure where you are but some City's you can order plans of the condo which, depending on the year, might include an electrical layout. Depending on how your City governs this information, you may require a letter of authorization from the condo board.

·
Registered
81 Posts
In BC some local regulations required a two-speed fan.
A hidden switch (furnace room) would turn it completely off, bathroom switch full speed.
No longer required where heat recovery systems installed, as they must run 24/7.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts