Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the CRTC is finally flexing some muscle.

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/908802--telemarketer-hit-with-record-fine-for-do-not-call-violation
OTTAWA—A telemarketing firm has paid a record penalty for making banned phone calls.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission says Xentel DM Inc. paid a $500,000 "administrative monetary penalty" for what it calls unauthorized telemarketing practices.

A CRTC investigation found that Xentel called consumers who had registered their numbers with the National Do Not Call List.

It also promoted events on its own behalf or on behalf of groups that were not registered as charities with the Canada Revenue Agency.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
It's unfortunate the fine doesn't appear to have been enough to put them out of business!!

Goes to show how much $$$ they can rake-in harassing us over the phone.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The other thing they need to do is remove the exclusion for companies doing surveys. Just about every "survey" call I get is obviously a disguised sales pitch from companies like Xentel.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Will they also fine Bell or Sears for the non-stop calls from telemarketers calling on their behalf? I doubt that...

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Companies you have a "business" relationship with are also exempt. They can hound their existing customers all the want. I don't think this exemption was meant to allow companies to incessantly solicit new business from existing customers but some companies do it anyway.

·
Registered
877 Posts
This made me smile. Xentel DM used to call me ALL THE TIME.

They wouldn't take me off their list when I asked, so I decided to have fun with them. One day I answered the call like a radio DJ, told the telemarketer he was "on the air" and asked him to request a song. I have no idea whether or not he knew I was playing with him or if he really thought his autodialer had accidentally called a radio station. He did request a song, which I thoughtfully played for him.

I think that was the last call I ever got from them. They probably figured out I wasn't really a radio station.

Of course, this was back when I had a POTS line and no Caller ID Blocking. Now, I'd just block their name or number and forget about it.

m.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I called Bell and they told me it's a matter between me and the other company.

And then there's Sears... and the Calgary Herald (which I never subscribed to), etc...

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Seriously? Newspapers are exempt?

The Calgary Herald got me to hate them instead... Their tactic isn't working.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I could never figure out the point of exceptions to the DNCL. I mean, if I've signed up for the list, doesn't that mean that I don't want to be called? How likely is it that I'm going to look favourably on someone who's exempt calling me? :confused:

·
Registered
580 Posts
^^^^

Government agencies never let logic get in their way when it comes to making policies....

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Yes, Bell definitely washes their hands of the actions of the telemarketers working on their behalf. These third party companies regularly violate the DNCL, spoof their caller ID and use other underhanded tactics.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
^^^^
As far as I'm concerned, any company that hires a 3rd party should be held responsible for that 3rd party's actions. After all, they wouldn't be making those calls if they weren't paid, in some manner, to do so.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have 2 FOX40 whistles, one beside the main phone in kitchen and one next to my cordless phone in computer room. Just waiting for those dorks who call to tell me that there is nothing wrong with my credit rating but ..... I quickly learned to push button One quickly to get a live person. Got to do it once only when a person with a southern accent asked if I had pushed button One. YES I did. Then I let him have it full blast. Don't think I ever got to use the whistles again.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
^^^^
From my previous post:
As far as I'm concerned, any company that hires a 3rd party should be held responsible for that 3rd party's actions.
Apparently, one of the things Bell did to get that $1.3M fine was hide behind 3rd parties. Not too long ago, when I called Bell to complain* about the calls I was getting, I was told Bell wasn't responsible, because it was other companies doing the calling. I guess they've now found out otherwise. Also, I seem to recall reading a while ago, that Bell was responsible for maintaining the DNC list. If so, it shows what hypocrites they are.

*Whenever I get a call from them, I take my complaint directly to the office of the president at Bell, as I have made it quite clear that I do not ever wish to do business with Bell again.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Whenever Bell calls me, it always turns into an argument when I politely request they take me off their list. Then I tell them I will be contacting the CRTC for breaking the rules of the DNC registry. This usually keeps them from calling for six months or so. I am thrilled they have been fined by the CRTC.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts