Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of March 21st Shaw in Calgary will be making 82 channels currently only in SD and offering them in HD! As well as adding an additional 2 new channels both in HD as well. Also adding cloud based PVR capabilities. Can watch or download PVR content on any device! Here is the link: https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-17856

·
Registered
21 Posts
Interesting news. Currently with Telus but the increase in HD and the ability to download the PVR shows is a bit of intriguing change.

·
Super Moderator
16,413 Posts
The Comcast X1 is a hybrid of traditional cable and IPTV. My guess is the new channels will be delivered solely by IPTV and the existing channels will be delivered as traditional cable channels (so-called QAM) The new channels will probably not be available on non-BlueSky boxes because Shaw told the CRTC they don't have the capacity to add new channels.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Any idea when the rest of Canada will get this feature? I have been patiently waiting as this is my number one requested feature as I would love to be able to use my iPad to watch tv shows while I am laying in bed to sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
681 Posts
To add to that it would be very nice to have this come to other markets sooner rather then later. In addition to that if they either offered systems with more then 500GB of storage space and/or the ability to use expanders with the BlueSky system I would make the switch right away.

·
Super Moderator
16,413 Posts
@gordon1111 you can watch a lot of TV shows on demand right now using the FreeRange app, or even watch a lot of TV channels live.

@Mixar69 Comcast is moving towards Cloud PVR, so I doubt they will put any effort into expanding local storage.

·
Registered
469 Posts
@Dr.Dave yes I do sometimes use Shaw Freerange however I mostly like to watch PVR recordings, however I am watching Amazon Prime right now for a few shows that aren’t on regular tv anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts