Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm trying to piece together what is going on with a batch of noisy HLPs being sold in the GTA, and I would like your help.

Here is the background:

1) I purchased an HLP4663 built on September/04 . Immediately this TV emitted a high pitched whine from the colour wheel. I called for an exchange.
2) When the delivery guys came to exchange the broken TV with a new one, they said that it was the second TV they picked up that day because of noisy operation. The new TV they brought was a October/04 build. Unfortunately, this TV has also developed the noisy colour wheel problem.
3) Two of my relatives bought a HLP line TV each on the same day. Both these TV are October/04 builds and both have the annoying high pitched whine.

Based on this information, I am begining to suspect that last Fall, a batch of bad colour wheels were put into the HLP models and shipped to the Greater Toronto Area.

When I called Samsung about it, they said that the TV should definitely not make the high pitched sound and refered me to a service depot. The Samsung website even has a DLP FAQ which reads:

You should hear the color wheel only when it spins up to speed when you turn your DLP TV on. If you hear a continuous, high pitched whine when your TV is on, it most likely means that the bearings in the color wheel are failing and you will have to get the color wheel replaced.

Obviously, the fact that this is published on their website indictes that this has been a problem with these TVs.

Upon calling the service depot, however, I was informed that despite the 1 year In-Home warranty, the TV must be taken off-site for a colour wheel replacement. I am hoping that this was just the particular service depot I called, but I am not holding my breath.

If you have had a similar experience with your HLP model TV could you please post your general location, model and manufacture date along with any other details on this thread? I would really appreciate your help as I plan to take this up with Samsung.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hi G30 --

Yep, I've got the noisy colour wheel as well. It is a whiny/hum (much louder than the fan) and at times turns into a high pitched ringing in my ears.

I called Samsung on Friday and explained the situation and they said I would receive a call within 2 business days. I haven't heard from them yet. They didn't say anything about taking my set away for service.

It is an HLP4663W purchased at Future Shop in Dec 04 and has a November 2004 build date.

Thanks for organizing this!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tijuana TVs for the GTA

Here is some more interesting info....

I went out to Future Shop and 2001 to check out their demo HLP4663.
I realize that it is hard to listen closely in a noisy retail environment, but INMO the demo TVs were absolultey silent at both stores. I heard no high pitched whinning, no humming, I heard nothing at all coming from the TV. The one at Future Shop was even in it's own demo room which offers a much quieter enviroment for listening.

Now here is the interesting bit...
When I checked the sticker on the back of the TVs, I saw that they were manfactured in Korea in June/2004. All four of the problem TVs I mentioned in my previous post were manufactured in Tijuana, Mexico. I do not want to jump to conclusions, but this leads me to believe that the Samsung factory in Tijuana is possibly using either defective air-bearing or obsolete plastic-bearing colour wheels, and that these TVs are being shipped to the GTA.

Any comments?

Bruce..
How's it going? Where was your TV built? What number/department did you call when you talked to Samsung?

·
Registered
310 Posts
It goes great!

I'd have to check at home but I'm pretty sure it said Mexico.

I just called the 1-800 number on the service page. Still no call. I'll try them again tomorrow.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hey G30,

Scratch my info. I double checked last night and it is an October 2004 build from Tijuana.

Still no word from a service centre so I'm calling Samsung back. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guess what? The Future Shop in Ajax also has a super quiet HLP4663 demo built June/2004 in Korea.

This and Bruce's information give us this first tally:

* 5 HLP4663 purchased in the Toronto area w/ noisy colour wheels.
* 5 of 5 were built in Tijuana.
* 4 of 5 were built in October 2004.
* 1 of 5 was built in September 2004.

* 3 of 3 Demo models checked were very quiet and built in Korea.

I'm beginning to see a trend here. My brother just bought an HLP4663 and will be receiving it this week. He is also in the GTA, and I will report his manufacture details and noise levels when it arrives.

Another bit of information I'm waiting for....My friend in Windsor bought a HLP5063 on Boxing Day. He says it is very quiet, and will be forwarding me the manufacture details today. The interesting bit is that his TV came from Future Shop's Windsor distribution centre, which lends credence to the notion that the bad batch of TVs were sent to the Toronto area.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have a 5063w made In nov 2004 Mexico I also got My tv From Fs, So far it has Not made any Loud Noise's Lets hope it stays that way.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WpgDan said:
I have a 5063w made In nov 2004 Mexico I also got My tv From Fs, So far it has Not made any Loud Noise's Lets hope it stays that way.
Thanks for the info. I hope your TV stays healthy too. Except for the annoying sound it makes, I really like my 4663.

Your profile says your located in Winnipeg. Is this correct? Counting yours, that would make 2 Fall 2004 HLP series TVs purchased outside of Toronto that make no noise.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I just heard from INET SYSTEMS (sp?) and they have booked an appointment for in-house service next Weds (Feb 2) to replace the colour wheel.

Also, a co-worker just bought a 4663 from 2001 and gets it on the weekend. I've asked her to let me know when and where it was made and if the colour wheel makes a whine/ringing noise.

I'll let you know....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bruce Fan said:
I just heard from INET SYSTEMS (sp?) and they have booked an appointment for in-house service next Weds (Feb 2) to replace the colour wheel.

Also, a co-worker just bought a 4663 from 2001 and gets it on the weekend. I've asked her to let me know when and where it was made and if the colour wheel makes a whine/ringing noise.

I'll let you know....

Its Hinet Systems. Yeah they came to replace my color wheel and fix internal reflection problem. HLN5065WX. The tech installed a new color wheel and it was sooo loud. So he ended up replacing the entire light engine. But I dont think he gave me a new one cuz the lamp hour was near 60hrs. Anyways, then I developed more problems like the set reseting itself and not turning on. The off melody is extremely loud now, internal reflection looks worse. And finally color wheel is loud again. Oh yeah not to mention once the temp warning light stayed on and the 3 blinking light problem.

Waiting for Mississauga TV to come and make a diagnostic then hopefully Future Shop will allow me to exchange the unit under their service plan (1 year old). I think Im gonna get the Pioneer 43" plasma instead.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not a happy camper - I have the same issues - Can anyone say "weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

Funny, because I have the same issue with my HLP4663. The tv looks great, was a good deal but the sound with the wheel is annoying. I live in Toronto & checking the label it was made in Tijuana in October 04 as well.

Reading the initial email, if samsung states that the whine means the color wheel needs replacing does this mean we will have to spend another pretty penny to get this fixed? This scares me.

Anyways, I have provided the details of Samsung North America's CEO. Does anybody think it worthwhile to send Mr. Oh a letter?

Dong-Jin Oh
President and CEO
Samsung Electronics America, Inc.
105 Challenger Rd.
Ridgefield Park, NJ 07660

He is responsible for overseeing the Samsung's North American operations. The companies under his leadership include, Samsung Telecommunications America (STA), Samsung Semiconductors, Inc. (SSI), Samsung Electronics Canada (SECA), Samsung Electronics Mexico (SEM), and Samsung Electronics America (SEA).

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yes I Live In wpg and purchased at futureshop, I know they have 2 warehouse's one In brampton Ontario and the other in Bc. wish I could tell you were my tv came from.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Andrew 2005 said:
Funny, because I have the same issue with my HLP4663. The tv looks great, was a good deal but the sound with the wheel is annoying. I live in Toronto & checking the label it was made in Tijuana in October 04 as well.
We have another winner! A noisy October built Tijuana TV. Thanks Andrew 2005. I think I will talk to Mr. Oh.

I did some more investigation into this issue and found out some more interesting facts. In my previous posts, I was curious as to why 2 FS locations and a 2001 store had Korean built models on display, but that consumers are sent Mexican (Tijaunna) built TVs. Yesterday I checked the Samsung DLPs at Best Buy and Sears in the Markville Mall. Here are the results:

Sears- June 2004 Korean built 4663 on display. No other Samsung DLPs were on display.

BestBuy- June 2004 Korean built 5663 on display. When I checked the back of the 4663, I expected to see June 2004 / Korea, but to my surprise, it was and October 2004 Tijuana model- the suspect batch!! Initially I understood this as a bit of evidence against my theory. On closer investigation however, I found a BestBuy sticker on the back of the set that read to the effect of "Open Box Item. This product was returned but has full warranty...blah,blah". In fact this is a corroboration of my ever strengthening belief that the GTA recieved a batch of noisy October built made in Tijauna TVs. And while the retails have super quiet Korean models for display purposes, the noisy Mexican sets have found their way into our homes.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
New Tally

For the intertest of clarity, I would like to restate what the facts are leading me to conclude.

In the Fall of 2004, greater Toronto area stores recieved a batch of mostly HLP4663 televisions with noisy colour wheels. These TVs emit a continuous high pitched sound when turned on. The noisy TVs have either September or October manufacture dates, and were all built in Tijuana. Most retailers dipslay HLP line TVs built in June 2004 in Korea.

Let me also add that this is not an attack on Samsung. I think that they make a beautifully designed DLP TV with incredible picture quality. In fact, if I weren't pro-Samsung, I would just return the TV for a different brand. My goal is to gather enough evidence for a strong case when I take this information to Samsung, in hope that they rectify this problem. If your HLP line television makes a continuous high pitched noise when it is on, please post your information to this thread. You probably have a bad colour wheel.

Here is the new tally.

In our Homes.
Of 6 HLP4663 purchased in the Toronto area w/ noisy colour wheels.
*6 of 6 were built in Tijuana.
* 5 of 6 were built in October 2004.
* 1 of 6 was built in September 2004.

In the Stores
* 5 of 6 Demo models checked at retail stores were very quiet and built in June in Korea.
* 1 of 6 demo models (a 4663) was an October 2004 Tijuana build. This TV had a sticker indicating that it was an "Open Box Item".

·
Registered
751 Posts
Here's info on my set: A little different from all mentioned so far.

HLP4663 manufactured in Tijuana in July 2004.
Purchased from Futurshop, Markahm East, in late October 2004

I can hear the colour wheel spin up for about a second when the set is powered up. After that it is very quiet (at least with the sound of the cooling fan above it, which is also quite quiet). When the set is powered off I can hear the colour wheel stop spinning, while the fan continues to run for a while, but I have to be very close to the set to notice this.

So, in my opinion, my HLP4663 is fine, so far.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
scotta said:
Here's info on my set: A little different from all mentioned so far.

HLP4663 manufactured in Tijuana in July 2004.
Purchased from Futurshop, Markahm East, in late October 2004

I can hear the colour wheel spin up for about a second when the set is powered up. After that it is very quiet (at least with the sound of the cooling fan above it, which is also quite quiet). When the set is powered off I can hear the colour wheel stop spinning, while the fan continues to run for a while, but I have to be very close to the set to notice this.
Thank you scotta. Just be to clear what you are saying...your July 2004 Tijuana TV emits some colour wheel sound at start up and shutdown which, according to Samsung is normal. However, your unit makes no continous high pitched noise like the September/October 2004 models in question?

I think your case furthers the evidence that the noise is limited to a batch of TVs manufactured in September/October 2004.

·
Registered
751 Posts
G30 said:
Thank you scotta. Just be to clear what you are saying...your July 2004 Tijuana TV emits some colour wheel sound at start up and shutdown which, according to Samsung is normal. However, your unit makes no continous high pitched noise like the Septmeber/October 2004 models in question?
That is correct.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is my question. I have a 2003 HLN467W that has just started to make this noise. Luckily I have the extended warranty. Yesterday a technicain called me and told me that they would need to take my set back to there shop to replace the color wheel. It would take about a week until I get the set back. For other people who have had there color wheel replaced, did they do it in-home or did they take your tv away?? I would rather them fix it at my house if possible. You never know what can happen when they take this stuff back to there shop!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
SAMSUNG HLP4663 > NOISY PROBLEM

Hey Everyone.

I have the same issue.

I bought the samsung HLP4663 in 12\04 > TV manufacturing date: 10\04.

I am awaiting the technician to come out again & replace the colour wheel. Of course, when he came out the first time, he was given the wrong part by the manufacturer.

Hopefully this will fix my problem.

ps...

I had to take time off from work so that I can accomodate the technician.

I had to call a 2nd shop because the 1st shop I called refused to work with my request (I work 20-30 minutes from home, in order to minimize my time away from work, I asked that the technician to call me when he will be
30-60min from getting to my home - THEY REFUSED).
When I brought this up with the samsung rep, they responded by advising me "Keep in mind that you will need to set some time away to have them come. This is your responsibility."

I dont think I was asking too much considering I wasnt made aware that I bought a $3000 TV that has a manufacturing problem.

later.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
RPHD said:
Hey Everyone.
I have the same issue.
I bought the samsung HLP4663 in 12\04 > TV manufacturing date: 10\04.
I am awaiting the technician to come out again & replace the colour wheel. Of course, when he came out the first time, he was given the wrong part by the manufacturer.
Another noisy October 2004 HLP4663. Let me guess RPHD, it's made in Tijuana? Anyone else begining to see a trend here? There may be a problem with the colour wheels in September/October built HLP4663 TVs.

RPHD said:
I had to call a 2nd shop because the 1st shop I called refused to work with my request (I work 20-30 minutes from home, in order to minimize my time away from work, I asked that the technician to call me when he will be
30-60min from getting to my home - THEY REFUSED).
When I brought this up with the samsung rep, they responded by advising me "Keep in mind that you will need to set some time away to have them come. This is your responsibility."

I dont think I was asking too much considering I wasnt made aware that I bought a $3000 TV that has a manufacturing problem.
I don't think it's too much to ask that a $3000 TV even need service. Who is doing your repair? Are they fixing it at your house or do they need to take the TV away?

1 - 20 of 106 Posts