Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week ago TSN2 was showing this game. Then their ad changed to some trivial thing but now Setanta have picked it up. This is not the first time TSN have elected not to show so why did they ever bid to show EPL when they can decide not to show a major game. Thankfully Setanta got this one.
At least we can rely on Setanta to show games - TSN is too unreliable to be given EPL.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Still looking for Manchester Darby....

I checked Setanta Sports and they don't list this game on their website. I checked the Rogers TV guide and it's not listed there either. I checked the other channels (TSN, TSN2, all Sportsnets) and couldn't see it.

Where did you find this game listed? If you have a link, can you post it? Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
From Setanta Sports Canada Facebook page: "... we found out at about 1 pm ET <Monday> that we had this match. we apologize to Chelsea fans that we are moving that match but a Manchester Derby will trump almost anything . . We will have a revised schedule posted on our website tomorrow."

I was astounded no one was going to carry this game. Thanks, Setanta!

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
This may not be an issue of TSN "not electing to air the game". I've been told that Setanta has first pick for all midweek (Tuesday/Wednesday) games, so its possible that TSN and Setanta were trying to work out a deal to allow TSN to have 1st choice on Wednesday, but they didn't for whatever reason. I highly doubt that TSN2 simply chose not to air it because ESPN2 has the game in the States and it will get very good ratings for a Premier League game on a weekday afternoon.

I personally love having the Premier League on TSN because it means we get ESPN2's coverage (which is produced by ESPN UK). Their coverage is miles ahead of any other Premier League coverage in North America.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is a 3pm kick off but I'm pretty sure Setanta will be running a "Match Day Live" as they do on a Sunday (pre and post and hence 1.30-5.30 total program). I really like this and Andy Townsend and Alan Curbishley are worth the listen.
Re-NBJ, TSN did a similar thing a few weeks ago and did not show the Monday game even although ESPN did. Setanta's facebook explained that in Canada TSN had rights to that game and they were not allowed to pick it up. Football blog had TSN2 showing the Manchester derby game until sometime over the week end and Setanta only got it on Monday. Would not be surprised if TSN changed their mind but given the magnitude of the game......

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm back again. Having looked at Setanta Tues page they may have failed to include that we in Canada have now switched clocks as well. If that is the case then it would be a 2.30pm start but still check out the 1.30pm time if you are interested in the pre-match because Monday programs played as listed on the Setanta website.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
The Monday game that TSN2 chose not to air didn't air on ESPN2. It was removed from ESPN2's schedule at the last minute and TSN didn't have time to get another feed. ESPN2 hasn't aired a single Monday game since then, and TSN2 has went out and got the feed themselves for all of them. Games not involving the Big 4, Manchester City or Tottenham are money losing, so I think we have to give TSN some credit.

I am told that TSN never had rights to the game. Which confirms my thoughts that Setanta has first pick on both Tuesday and Wednesday (which I had originally been told by Setanta).

·
Registered
689 Posts
Which confirms my thoughts that Setanta has first pick on both Tuesday and Wednesday (which I had originally been told by Setanta).
Judging by the matches on Setanta and Rogers Sportsnet right now, and the line-up for both channels on Wednesday afternoon, that would appear to be the case.

·
Registered
379 Posts
And after all that, I think another game would have been better, because that one sure was a bore. Funny how it always seems to work that way.

·
Registered
423 Posts
And after all that, I think another game would have been better, because that one sure was a bore. Funny how it always seems to work that way.
Games between the perceived 'big teams' are very rarely exciting; they just cancel each other out too much. Besides, Citeh still haven't got the skill & guile to be a 'top' team.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts