Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I recently moved from a Bell / Shaw combo to all Shaw. While I like the cost savings I kind of miss being able to have all my recordings on the same box ( I had a Bell 9242 which worked quite well).

So, I'm thinking of jumping ship to Telus. however, I have a question. I run my own server at home and currently have a few ports open on my linksys router for SMTP and FTP.

First of all, is telus port blocking this traffic inbound to their routers? Assuming they don't does the installer give you a login to the Dlink so I can setup some firewall rules to route the traffic to my server?

If all this is possible I just have to work out whether I can live without HDNet.

Thanks

Oliver

·
Registered
30 Posts
Telus's Terms of Services state that you can't run any kind of servers at home (unless you have a business plan that is absolutely ridiculously priced for a home user, but I guess that makes sense, lol). To run your servers, you may have to change from the standard ports for FTP and SMTP services, but since I don't use those in particular, I'm not sure how your experience will be. That's the best I know based on some of the research I did on it myself.

The installer MAY give you the login to the D-Link, just ask nicely and explain that you're an advanced user and want to be able to modify some settings. The D-Link firmware/router settings pages are horrible though... very clunky and configuration is a bit of a pain, but I've also heard that a firmware update is coming that addresses a lot of those issues.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Quite a long time ago I remember hearing the FTP ports are blocked on TELUS residential ADSL service packages. This is because TELUS expects you to subscribe to business internet if you want to run a server. Here is the link to the info for TELUS business internet service packages http://www.telus.com/en_CA/BC/products/Small_Business/Internet_And_Data/Internet_Access/details/bcSmbHighSpeedInternetAccess.html#tab2 You do get more traffic than you do with residential and ther is an option for static IP which is important to ensure your server's users can find you, and essential if your hosting a web server. Optik TV customers have, as do all TELUS residence customers, dynamic IPs and as well are capped at 60GB traffic per month, then you get a bill for overages.

Every Optik customer also has 100mb of web space on the TELUS network. Look up info about your TELUS webspace here http://telus.com/portalWeb/inlineLink/CP_SCS/Help/Internet_Help/Webspace/Help_Subcategory/Personal_webspace_help/All_Platforms/. There are limits as to how you can use this space, so DO READ THE FINE PRINT :)

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
179 Posts
The cap appears to be higher, according to the website the cap for Optik internet is 125GB, 250GB for Optik Turbo.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I run my own server at home and currently have a few ports open on my linksys router for SMTP and FTP.
Most ISPs nowadays block outgoing port 25 for SMTP. Too many worms out there with their own SMTP client to spread itself via email. If you really need outgoing SMTP, you might want to look at relaying to your ISP's SMTP server instead.

·
Banned
548 Posts
The cap appears to be higher, according to the website the cap for Optik internet is 125GB, 250GB for Optik Turbo.
You're correct. 'High Speed' was previously capped @ 60gb traffic/month, but now I see it has been increased to 75gb.

- another TELUS tech

1 - 7 of 7 Posts