Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This seems like a ridiculous post, but does anyone know how to make your own Bell land-line telephone ring? As a kid, I remember that there was a number that you could dial along with part of your own phone number to make the phone ring - it was a great practical joke. I seem to think that this was some sort of Bell test that got out to the general public.

I have two telephones in different buildings - both sharing the same phone number. If I could make the line ring myself, it would make a great intercom.

Can this still be done with a Bell line?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
The ringback number varies from exchange to exchange. Assuming you are in the 416 area code, you can try these:

416 57x-xxxx
416 99x-xxxx
416 999-xxx-xxxx

Insert the corresponding digit in your telephone number for the x. After dialing, you will need to flash and wait for another tone, then hang up.

·
Premium Member
3,309 Posts
MTS had a ringback number it was 590-then your 7 digit phone number,,,,,, but that stopped working about 3 years ago...now I use my cell to call the home phone

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know that dialing your own phone number, waiting for the busy signal, and then hanging up does not work. I'll try the 999 sequences Larry gave and let you know how it goes. Sounds like I'm gonna have to buy an intercom!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Try getting a portable cordless set with 2 handsets. On the handsets there is usually a button to call the other. That's what I do when the kids are downstairs with 1 set and I want to talk to them. Works from my shop as well.

·
Banned
1,302 Posts
I remember ***-***-4101 did this, but that was back when we only had pulse dialing.

I also remember during the pulse dialing era (up to around 1990 where I live) that if you called someone and did not hang up the phone properly after you finishred your conversation, the party you called couldn't hang up their phone and end the connection. Six hours later you walk by your phone and hear someone screaming (to get your attention), then you realize you never hanged up your phone properly, and the person you called couldn't use their for the previous 6 hours.:D

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
So this solves the 15 year mystery. I remember calling 999 xxx - xxxx
that was back when there was only 7 digit dialing, didnt know this was a actual feature, i though for sure i hacked bells phone system and no one else knew bout this

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in the US, but may have some information that may also be valid in Canada.

Where I grew up in Pennsylvania, all we had to do is dial our seven didgit phone number, where a recorded voice would say, "the person you are trying to reach is on you own line, just hang up and wait for them to answer and pick the receiver back up." To this day, it still works there.

I now live in Upstate New York. That does not work here. I have however found a web si te the gives codes to try. I found one of them that works for me. Here is a link to that site: http://www.tech-faq.com/ringback-number.shtml

·
Registered
1 Posts
So this solves the 15 year mystery. I remember calling 999 xxx - xxxx
that was back when there was only 7 digit dialing, didnt know this was a actual feature, i though for sure i hacked bells phone system and no one else knew bout this
LOL, I remeber doing this all the time to my parents to drive them nuts between 1990-1995. I just recently remembered this time and decided to look it up. Seems it's not quite a secret haha

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.