Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up with that?

They are calling it a new radio station but they just rebranded it with new call letters.

CHMC is now CIUP

Magic 99 (CHMC) played smooth jazz and was a great alternative with nice mellow and mood songs.

They've now gone to the same format as all the other channels playing a variety of Rod Stewart, Abba, etc., etc.

I don't see the point of there being no variety and no choice. There used to be something for everyone on the radio. Now it's a completely homogeneous broadcast environment.

...back to satellite radio for me.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Magic 99 (CHMC) played smooth jazz and was a great alternative with nice mellow and mood songs.
It was also the last-rated music station. It was a good try, but Smooth Jazz is not a viable broadcast format; it's best left to niche delivery services.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I understand that the format was not profitable in Edmonton but I could have told you that five years ago.

What bothers me is Rawlco got to keep the license. The CRTC should terminate the license and then force Rawlco (or anyone else) to apply for a new license rather than just giving it to Rawlco.

Essentially the CRTC gave Rawlco a profitable new license for being a failure.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Rawlco followed the rules, and stuck with the COL for the station's entire first term. Rawlco didn't fail, the format did.

Stations don't have to apply to switch from one mainstream format to another, so let's stop pretending that the fringe formats are any different.

At worst, Rawlco took advantage of the fact that the specialty license improved their chances of getting approved in the first place, knowing the frequency was a long-term investment.

The CRTC has mostly removed itself from format regulation; they'd might as well go the rest of the way.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, somebody has to be at the bottom.

Years ago, you could scan the FM dial and there was a bit of everything.

Now it's getting like TV - lots of channels with nothing to listen to.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I'm not saying Rawlco didn't comply with the rules. I just think the rules are ridiculous. Too many companies getting FM licences and then flipping for a more profitable one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts