Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,435 Posts
Your post was moved to this existing thread on the topic. Please read post 2 and the links there carefully. Even the same TV with different settings can exhibit different macroblocking characteristics, as you have already noticed. There is not really a huge difference between TVs once they are properly optimized though.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Picture Compression

Has anyone else noticed an increase in compression lately? Sony TV was horribly compressed and blocky yesterday and I've noticed that Q13 Fox and a couple of others are also noisier than normal. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Do you mean compressed, or do you mean macroblocking artifacts caused by signal noise?

Is the quality fairly consistent (although poor), or do you seem to get some "spikes" of poor quality video?

·
Registered
194 Posts
No, I mean compression. For example, Sony yesterday was consistently poor and blocky. There are no spikes. It just seems that some channels are showing more macroblocking than usual, leading to suspicion that the signal is being further compressed. I just checked CNN which is another which springs to mind, and I see the same issue. Lots of small blocks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I noticed TSN's NHL game on Dec 6 was very compressed,lots of macro blocking at times.
Time for a fourth Bird already:rolleyes:

21 - 26 of 26 Posts