Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mac share has increased significantly in the past year according to NPD group, especially amongst more tech-sophisticated and affluent consumers:

While Apple owners tend to own more computers and more electronics devices, there is also a high correlation among Apple owners and more affluent consumer households," said Stephen Baker, vice president of industry analysis. "Thirty-six percent of Apple computer owners reported household incomes greater than $100,000, compared to 21 per cent of all consumers. "With a higher household income, though, it's not a surprise that those consumers are making more electronics purchases," Baker said. "The average Apple household owns 48 CE devices whereas the average computer household owns about 24. Apple household owners' actions and purchases can be used by the industry as leading indicators for hot new products and adoption

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
I would argue the "tech-sophisticated" part or that statement and perhaps replace it with "image conscious".

I would agree with the affluent piece though. For what the overwhelming majority of users do, i.e. surf the web and email, you can do it much cheaper on a PC than on a Mac.

·
Registered
478 Posts
For some reason that I cannot fathom, teens want Macs. They're asking their parents not for pc's or laptops but Macs specifically. Maybe the popularity of the ipod is rubbing off on computers, maybe they look cool, whatever it is it's working.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I consider myself "tech-sophisticated" and I have moved almost completely over to Apple. I would likely fall into the rising market they are talking about in the article. To be honest, I just got tired of constantly fixing/troubleshooting my windows boxes. If I could afford it, I would swap out my kids cheopo windows boxes with macs in addition to my imac and the wifes macbook.

From a teens perspective, I can see the draw of a mac. Most kids nowadays have no interest in how a computer works or is built, they just want the functions to work as described. In other words, they are users not tinkerers. Macs are great at this.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
For some reason that I cannot fathom, teens want Macs.
Teens are the most image conscious people on the planet. Smoking isn't cool anymore but Macs are, that's why teens want them.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For what the overwhelming majority of users do, i.e. surf the web and email, you can do it much cheaper on a PC than on a Mac.
...and even more cheaply yet on a Netbook, a segment where Apple is about to make a grand entrance a la iPhone. I think they are going to try and marginalize Windows into an undesirable middle ground...a spot that is neither highly affordable nor highly fashionable.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
I think I agree with your comment on image conscious; people want their computing appliance to be fashionable as well as functional, not unlike the cars they buy
Given that I don't drive a fancy car either, I guess I'll never really understand it.

I just did a quick check and the entry level Macbook goes for $1149. The equivalent from Dell (actually has a bigger hard drive) is $759. Me, I'd take the close to $400 and in my pokcet thanks.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Maybe you get all the cool looks from the OS and the computer, but I think Mac is too expensive. About $200-400(if iMac is $1149) expensive than a PC with similar specs

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I think the issue of price is somewhat irrelevant. I see it like this:

You've driven a Hyundai Accent* for 10 years. It's had nothing but problems and requires annual maintenance. One day it dies. You decide to spend a bit more and get a Honda Civic. It's fun to drive, requires no maintenance other than routine oil changes, and is super reliable. One day you need a 2nd car for your wife or child, and you automatically lean towards the Civic, even though it's more money. Once you go Mac, you don't go back, it's that simple.

This is of course a very generalized analogy, but speaks for my own experience as well as friends & colleagues. Price simply doesn't become an issue when you factor in the problems associated with PC's/Windows.

Now, using the above example, if you were knowlegeable about cars and enjoyed doing repairs, the Hyundai Accent might be just fine for your needs.

There isn't a right answer. But for those of us who A) aren't knowlegeable about computers and/or B) don't care to learn about computers and/or C) don't like replacing computers every 1-2 years, then it's really no comparison.

I don't know about the tween demographic, but for me owning an Apple product has absolutely nothing to do with image. It's based on user-friendliness, reliability, and function...essentially what their marketing approach has been for years.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
I simply don't buy all the FUD about Windows PCs being these other-worldly complex machines that you need a PHD to operate.

My 10 year old manages just fine on a PC that I set up. The setup procedure:

1. Take laptop out of box.
2. Create user accounts for her, her brother, and her mother
3. Install avast! anti-virus.
4. Install Firefox

That's it.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I simply don't buy all the FUD about Windows PCs being these other-worldly complex machines that you need a PHD to operate.
I agree with this. Clearly the massive TV commercial ad campaign from apple is doing its job. More and more people are starting to believe this propaganda. Apple makes very purdy stuff with decent build quality, but much of the hype is because Apple also happens to be one of the best marketing machines in North America.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My home PC is now almost 8 years old. My wife is the least tech-savvy person I know and she manages to work on it every day with minimal help from me. I replaced the power supply 2 years ago and added a little memory and a bigger hard drive over the years and it is still going strong. Don't believe Apple's FUD.

My laptop is a Vista machine and yes there were some weird things happening when I first got it but it's been absolutely fine since SP1.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
That's it.
I wish my experience with my gf's Toshiba laptop w/ XP was more like this example. I didn't even make it to step #2 before a warning popped up saying: this computer may be infected with a virus. Are you sure you want to proceed? :eek: It refused to connect to the internet and it had 2-3 different internet/wireless programs to "help" diagnose the problem. It was an absolutely frustrating experience that neither of us wished to repeat.

After a year of problems she sold the Toshiba to her sister and bought my iBook. After a year of problems with the Toshiba, her sister sold it and bought said iBook. My gf & I now share my MacBook and are considering buying a MB Pro or an iMac.

Go ahead and call it propaganda, but for those of us who've sipped the Kool-Aid, I say pour me another glass :)

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another Mac vs. PC thread isn't really that exciting, so let me try and steer this back to the original topic.

I think a big part of the Apple appeal is how they managed to seamlessly integrate the digital lifestyle in a way no one else can. Mobile communications, music, television and personal computing functioning in a single ecosphere.

In fact, it might be this very reason that they are so successful in the demographics that they are....the more affluent purchaser can afford to buy iPods, iPhones, AppleTV and Macs to get a harmonious digital lifestyle.

On the other end, younger buyers who don't already have a big investment in disparate CE devices and media types want to stretch their limited budget to the maximum benefit, so they dont' want to buy a collection of gadgets that ultimately don't work very well together.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Since I took it off topic, I'll try and get it back on.

Full credit for Apple in leveraging the iPod and driving more Mac sales. I would go as far as saying the iPod saved Apple in that it created a huge revenue stream for them and made the Mac relevant again.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Don't believe Apple's FUD.
You're preaching to the choir. That's like telling Honda owners "don't believe the hype, Honda isn't worth it".

In the spirit of sticking with the topic, I'm surprised Mac share is only 12%. Thought it'd be higher by now.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I think the issue of price is somewhat irrelevant. I see it like this:

You've driven a Hyundai Accent* for 10 years. It's had nothing but problems and requires annual maintenance. One day it dies. You decide to spend a bit more and get a Honda Civic. It's fun to drive, requires no maintenance other than routine oil changes, and is super reliable. One day you need a 2nd car for your wife or child, and you automatically lean towards the Civic, even though it's more money. Once you go Mac, you don't go back, it's that simple.
This is the perfect example. In the 2009 JD Powers Initial Quality Study Hyundai scored better than Honda (fewer defects per vehicle). It's all about perception -- Honda owners think their cars are the best; Hyundai owners thing their cars are the best; Toyota owners think their cars are the best and so on. Both Honda and Hyundai offer a 5 year, 100,000km warranty. In practice most modern vehicles are pretty good. Your dealer will have a bigger influence over your vehicle experience than the manufacturer.

Apple certainly provides a better customer experience since they control the hardware and software but for me -- I don't have problems with my various Windows based systems -- I'm not interested in paying the premium.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm a PC user for over 15 years I've built many machines. I use Windoze and Linux. I switched to MAC...

I love it when people compare a $499.00 PC crap-box desktop to a 1500.00 MAC. $1000 savings! If you think that you are getting a similar quality piece of equipment for 499.00 you are kidding yourself. Just check "under-the-hood" of that bargain PC - cheap MB, cheap power-supply, cheap video card etc. You can easily spend the same or more for good quality components for a PC. Why did I switch? Much less Spyware, viruses and less system crashes. I have managed to crash my MAC by the way (installing Ubuntu.)

·
Registered
756 Posts
The big push with the Mac is that it includes all needed software - it is much easier to have all software "just work" when the OS and software used is all one and the same. I wonder how long until the anti-trust suits begin and they have to start detaching the software from the OS in a similar manner that Microsoft did.

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
I have both Mac and Windows in my house and at work where I look after 80+ systems. When Apple gave the ability to install and run Windows on their hardware I was able to purchase a MBPRO for myself at work. You may say what a waste of Government money buying that "over-priced" laptop. Wee I can honestly say this machine runs Windows much much better than any of the Dells, Toshiba's or HP's we have flying around here.

My opinion is that was the smartest move Apple ever made. It gives the ability for the "best of both worlds". Am I going to roll out Mac's to all my users in the next couple of years? No. Will I consider Mac's for a few of my "power-users" if the ask? Sure.

With Windows 7 out soon and a possible netbook from Apple the future will certainly be interesting to say the least.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts