Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks really impressive. Mixer of regular OS X and server.:D They keep coming out with new things to do with an OS which is impressive. Sure many things people can do without but for others it's another toy to play with.

A home for your apps.
Launchpad gives you instant access to your apps — iPad style. Just click the Launchpad icon in your Dock. Your open windows fade away, replaced by an elegant, full-screen display of all the apps on your Mac. It takes just a swipe to see multiple pages of apps, and you can arrange them any way you like by dragging icons to different locations or by grouping apps in folders. And when you download an app from the Mac App Store, it automatically appears in Launchpad.

A new level of security.Keep all the data on your Mac even more secure with XTS-AES 128 data encryption at the disk level. Initial encryption is fast and unobtrusive — it encrypts everything in the background while you work. FileVault also encrypts for your external drives, and provides the ability to wipe all the data from your Mac instantaneously.

Lion Server is now part of Mac OS X Lion. It’s easy to set up your Mac as a server and take advantage of the many services Lion Server has to offer. Here are just a few of the new features that make server deployment faster, easier, and more powerful than ever.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
LaunchPad has to be the dumbest "feature" in a long time. Basically, it's just icon-view of the Applications folder. And just about everyone with a Mac has switched the Finder to column view so that you can actually find your files and apps.

The other stuff (especially the thing that sounds like built-in TimeMachine on a file-by-file basis) does sound pretty good, though. I hope it comes out at pricing similar to Snow Leopard.

Do we get pricing announced tomorrow at the iPad event? Or is it all iPad all the time?

Oh, hey! Look everybody - I've got a sneak-peek of Launchpad: :D

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Really? OS X server is now being merged into the regular product?

Thats really great news for me as i was about to buy an OS X server box. thanks for the tip!!

·
Registered
626 Posts
The server components will probably be an optional install but yes, they will be included with 10.7 Lion. Mac OS X Server is just a bunch of additional software that rides on top of the desktop OS.

Much, but not all, of what makes Server a server OS is already in the desktop version. It just doesn't have the nice UI tools that are part of Server to access them.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Agreed, but it's a real PITA to have to sudo and CLI to do common tasks.

One of the beautiful things about OS X is that it's a fully ISO-certified UNIX box and has all the industrial strength that servers have. When that is combined with the Apple UI, it's a perfect blend of form, fit and function.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yah Launch Pad is not a huge of a feature. Reminds me a lot of Launcher from Mac OS 9 days. Never did use it cause I put all my Apps and folders I needed under the Apple Menu in Mac OS 9. I wish they did bring back the old Apple Menu that you could customize.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
The formal announcement made today that Apple will introduce Mac OS X Lion, iOS at the Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) on Monday, June 6.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
FYI, there is a iOS 5 thread in the Smartphone forum for anyone wanting to discuss that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts