Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a number of months, my pay-per-view M-Go service was available and working great on my Roku players using Unblock-Us DNS Proxy, however, it stopped working earlier this month (noticed it early April 2014).

Upon investigation and checking with Roku and M-Go support, it seems that Roku/M-Go is now using Billing Address / Credit Card validation to restrict M-Go to USA-only. I am in the process of obtaining a US credit/debit card using one of the online services to see if that will work.

Has anyone found a way around it?

·
Registered
387 Posts
I don't know if it would work with M-Go, but with Amazon Prime, I used the "Visa trick". For the billing address, I went all out and looked up the address of a UPS Store in "my city", but I don't think it's always required.

Taken from the unblick-us website:

There are a few different ways of signing up for a US service (such as Hulu+, Fandor, etc) outside of USA. We'll walk you through which worked for us in the past but they're not guaranteed to work as providers can change their policies at any time.

Please make sure to set up our service and check the setup before signing up with the service that you want as they more than likely check your geographical location on signup.

Option 1

You can use your own credit card to pay for Hulu Plus subscription and other US services that require a US credit card.

When setting up your Hulu Plus account (or other service), use your own street address that is associated with the billing address on the credit card you are using and convert the postal code into a valid zip code as per our instructions below. Be sure to take note of the city and state associated with the new zip code as you need this for your account set up.

- Construct a VALID existing 5 digit ZIP code from your postal code as follows:

- Take the digits from your postcode. The post code M1R 2L1 becomes 121.

- Add zeros to the end if you have less than 5 digits in your postal code. So the 121 becomes ZIP 12100

- Use the USPS zip code tool to verify that it is a valid existing ZIP code.

- If it is not an existing code, then add 1 to the last digit and try to verify again. So if our example of 12100 is not a valid zip code, then try 12101. If still not valid add one to the last digit until you get to 12107, which is a valid US ZIP Code.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip. This didn't do the job for Roku/M-Go. I am getting a US Debit/Pre-Paid CC Service in place and will report back.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Your issue might be the same as AppleTV when you switch it’s location to USA. You’ll need BOTH a US address with postal code AND a US Credit Card based in the USA. Canadian addressed US Credit cards don’t work! :mad:

You might need to to register with a cross border address provider (like MY US Address) and then get a Credit Card from a US Bank with that address!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any success with Virtual Visa Cards

I am considering using this service: http://www.usunlocked.com/

They provide a reloadable debit/visa card with verify-able US addresses. They charge a somewhat hefty reload fee reminiscent of foreign ATM fees but still within reason.

Anyone here use these with success in general?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm having the same problem (which is why I am on the forum today). M-Go has disappeared entirely from my Roku despite doing a factory reset. My Roku account is set up with both a valid Amex# and zip code but a bogus US address. It worked initially but has now stopped. I too use the unblock-us.com service. I don't think I would go as far as getting the usunlocked service just to get M-go back but it would be nice if someone were to find a different workaround.

·
Registered
530 Posts
My M-GO has disappeared from my Roku as well. However, when you do you a title search the M-GO movie results still appear. I haven't tried ordering one but I'd assume you still can. Has anyone tried?

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
do u guys mean TMN Go? TMN usese M as their logo, so it looks like M-Go but its actually called TMN Go

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
M-go is an American service like for example Hulu plus and it is similar to itunes where you can rent movies.
TMN-go is Canadian service where you can watch content for free if you pay for TMN package with regular tv subscription .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've eliminated all the possibilities of how M-Go is doing location-based detection as follows:
1. DNS Proxy (I use Unblock-US configured at my router)
2. US-Based Credit Card (with a US Billing Address, I use USUnlocked.com a virtual visa card with a US Address)

This means that Roku is now using actual ip-based geolocation (prior to earlier this month they were not) and only a VPN service where the ip address is proxied will work. This effectively means that you cannot defeat the M-Go blocking on the Roku player since there are no advanced networking control features or capabilities (that I know of) to configure the Roku box to use a proxy server.

If your "My Movies" section (which is M-Go) suddenly disappeared from your Roku, this is why. I really prefered M-Go over the other services but it seems they have succumed to regulator pressure from the Canadian Government and recent CRTC hearings.

The CMPA also urged the government to require Netflix and others to “ensure Canadians cannot use false IP addresses to access content that Canadian companies already own the rights to distribute in Canada.”

Currently, Canadian internet users have access to virtual private networks (VPNs), proxy servers and other tools that allow their internet traffic to be anonymized, giving them access to U.S.-only content like Hulu and Comedy Central videos.

Use of these tools to watch content licenced in another country is a violation of copyright, but digital rights advocates note these technologies are used by people in oppressive countries to evade web censorship. They oppose moves to restrict access to these sites.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
If it is truth what you are saying then why do we still have access to American netflix and hulu plus I think that those services are more popular in canada than M go.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts