Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Every phone carrier I have ever been with the cancellation request has always been done by speaking to a live person over the phone. My guess is they want to be certain they can verify it is actually you requesting the cancellation, as well to let you know of any cancellation fees if applicable.

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
If moving to another service and keeping the phone number, it's a good idea to subscribe to the new service and request the number transfer first. That should cause a cancellation of the previous service. Once the number is successfully transferred then check to see that the account and any automatic payments have been cancelled. With prepaid accounts, just cancel the automatic top-ups.

·
Premium Member
9,356 Posts
When you port your number, it automatically cancels your plan. Rogers didn't tell me that. Good ridden to them!!
Curious: Why would you expect the Rogers plan to remain active once you've ported your # to a new provider and are no longer paying for the Rogers plan? :unsure:

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
We do not know if the OP (Original Poster) plans to simply cancel his Lucky service or Cancel it by moving it to a new company. But if its Option 1 - simply cancelling it, then the op should speak to Lucky Mobile by calling in and requesting a cancellation. If its option 2, the OP should not contact lucky and simply contact the New provider and open service with them and ask to port-in the number at the same time. This should be the answer to the question the op was looking for.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Curious: Why would you expect the Rogers plan to remain active once you've ported your # to a new provider and are no longer paying for the Rogers plan? :unsure:
I was told by the Rogers rep that I'd keep the plan I had and they'd give me a new number to keep the same plan. I wasn't sure how well Telus would work in my areas. Thankfully Telus works better than Rogers. Make sense now? :)

·
Premium Member
9,356 Posts
I was told by the Rogers rep that I'd keep the plan I had and they'd give me a new number to keep the same plan. I wasn't sure how well Telus would work in my areas. Thankfully Telus works better than Rogers. Make sense now? :)
The additional details do provide context. (y)

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
Companies improperly bill customers or former customers for services all the time. In my experience, Canadian broadcasters and telcos are historically among the worst for improper billing. If a postpaid plan is not cancelled then billing and penalties don't stop. That's why I stick to prepaid plans.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
There's an official process ALL the providers have to follow for porting, also all reps from all companies have to give clear and consistent information about this process to customers. I read it on the CRTC web site: Switch Providers and Keep your Number | CRTC it explains "As soon as your current service provider receives the notice of cancellation from your new provider, they will cancel your services immediately" If the rep gives any other explanation or misinforms you, he is not following his training guidelines. Yes it might be possible to re-instate the line and give it a new number, but this is an exception to the rule and not the actual rule, and it may vary by carrier but they should not be telling you this firstly. they need to tell you the proper protocol and procedure. Now lets get back to the topic at hand. I have never seen a cancellation request done via online / self serve, or via chat, in my personal experience it has always been done with a live agent.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts