Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a surround system with a yamaha rxv 363 as the reciever.
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/stereo-receivers/rx-v363_black__u/?mode=model
When I watch certain ac3 programs in HD with the bell 6131 I can barely hear the narrators. once the commercials come on it seems normal. I have tried to put the 6131 in pcm but nothing changes. I used the recievers night modes, but it doesn't help.
Put the reciever on straight, the dynamic range is less but the dialog is still too low.
The reciever is a HDMI passthrough for video, not audio.
This is the way it is set up..... 6131 uses HDMI for video to HDMI input in the yamaha. It also has optical from the back of the 6131 to the input of the yamaha in order to get 5.1.
A HDMI runs from the yamaha reciever to a HDMI input on my 46" toshiba LCD (bought this year)
I have a sony blueray hooked up the same way.
I tried to change the toshiba menu to have dolby, then to PCM but no difference

any thoughts?

The yamaha was already sent to repair and came back....
did I say this is driving me nuts????????

thanks

randy

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Standard response is to bump up the volume on the center channel.

Have you got a good quality center channel speaker?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when I use an spl meter with the built in sound tones, it shows that the center channel output is 20db lower then the rest of the speakers. I tried switching speakers and nothing changed.
the center channel is set at +10db and the others are set -8 to -10db
thanks

randy

·
Super Moderator
56,532 Posts
With that large a difference (20dB), something is drastically wrong. I don't see how some things can be "OK" and some not, but perhaps it's the nature of the programming - some programing has more surround sound than others - or perhaps the commercials are DD2.0 while the programming is DD5.1. Since almost all SD is DD2.0, how does that sound? Some things to try.

Reset the AVR (usually outlined somewhere in the Operating Manual)
Try a test DVD - how do DVDs/BDs sound?
Try switching the inputs on the AVR for the BD and 6131

There may be an issue with the DD5.1 signals from the 6131. Try rebooting the STB?

Since you say you have the devices connected directly to the AVR, then the TV settings shouldn't come into play.

See the following post, useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

DD5.1 FAQ: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17870

·
Registered
209 Posts
Check to make sure your wiring isn't crossed at both the amp and the centre. If you are getting a 20db difference between the centre and the rest of your speakers it is either a setting within the amp (not familiar so can't help you with it), the internal wiring of the amp, the centre amp itself, the wire from the amp to the speaker or the speakers internal wiring.

Like 57 has said reset the AVR and then run the test again from factory default. If you are still getting the same problem it is the amp that has the problem and will have to be fixed.

Tunksy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks tunksys31
as far as the internal problems, I called directly to the warrenty repair shop in barrie and they told me that they replaced all the parts that would cause my problem and then some. they also told me if I want, take it back in but they are unlikely to find anything since it has already been done.,

I can't understand... I hook up my old rca reciever and the center channel output is just fine... I had the low speaker output in the yamaha before I got the hd sattellite from bell.
I tried someone's suggest to feed the dd though the tv and back to the reciever, and all that done was put all audio in non dolby digital.
Is there test tones somewhere on the net that I can burn on a dvd with instructions

thanks

randy

·
Registered
580 Posts
In your original post , you say that commercials sound normal.Perhaps it's a problem with the broadcast of a particular show or station ??

How do movies sound when played on your blu-ray player ??

I've noticed very quiet dialogue on some TV shows,usually from a U.S. broadcaster.

The problem may not be your receiver..

·
Super Moderator
56,532 Posts
Your posts are not consistent. In one post you say:

I had the low speaker output in the yamaha before I got the hd sattellite from bell.
In another you say:

When I watch certain ac3 programs in HD with the bell 6131 I can barely hear the narrators. once the commercials come on it seems normal.
Did you try an AVR reset or swapping inputs as I suggested earlier? Based on some comments, it sounds like a faulty AVR, or settings in the AVR since you say you swapped speakers. Did you try swapping the speaker cable?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I watched last night and have observed this too. I have different equipment,
so maybe it`s a broadcast issue.

Rogers 8300HD, Sony STRDG820 (avr), Panasonic TCP50U2
all by HDMI.

I will play blu-ray tonight to check.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your posts are not consistent. In one post you say:

In another you say:

Did you try an AVR reset or swapping inputs as I suggested earlier? Based on some comments, it sounds like a faulty AVR, or settings in the AVR since you say you swapped speakers. Did you try swapping the speaker cable?
thanks for the reply. It certainly is strange.
I noticed the low output when I bought my spl meter and tried to get all the speakers to work at the same spl level where we sit.
then I noticed other problems which became more pronounced when we got the bell HD satt. receiver.
I am going to switch to my older rca receiver which also has 5.1 but no hdmi and see what happens. I know there were no center speaker issues on the old rca when I had it hooked up when the yamaha was out to service.(spl meter and test tones)
the strange thing is I have already reset everything and nothing changes. I noticed when the satt. feed is 5.1, night mode changes do nothing to control the dynamic range of the program. If I put center channel completely off, the voices are loud, but the surround effect is very dull.
I tried turning down the rear surround speakers to -10 db as well as the front to -10 db and the center to +10 db on the yamaha, high dynamic range still overpowers the dialog.
when the kids where watching a movie (non blue ray movie on a blue ray player) it also had overly loud dynamics and low (but not as low) dialog/vocals.
I am going to try a blueray after I get the old rca back in the system to see what happens
I am going to try a different cable as well.

thanks

randy

·
Super Moderator
56,532 Posts
No need to try different speaker cable, simply swap the cable currently going to the center with the one going to the RF or LF at the AVR to see if it's a speaker or speaker cable issue. Just trying to rule things out. If the problem goes to the other speaker, then it sounds like it's the AVR, the STB or settings. If the problem stays with the center speaker, then it's the speaker or the cable, in which case those can be swapped.

In the meantime if you wish to listen to the Yamaha you can turn the center speaker off, and the LF & RF speakers will create a "phantom" center speaker sound. Also, I assume you're on the correct sound mode in the AVR and not one of the "effects" modes. When you run the AVR test tones is there still a huge difference in audio level? If there is, then it's not the STB and if the speakers work via the test above, then you would have narrowed the problem to the AVR or its setup settings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tried everything, switched back to my 6 year old RCA receiver and it has center channel sound when the yamaha with the same setting did not.

thanks for the help but I think my yamaha has crapped.
at least I have DD :)

randy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts