Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ordered Oppo BD-83 and now wondering what I should do with my Denon 698 receiver (which does not process audio via HDMI). Currently, my Sony BDP350 is connected via HDMI (video) and Coaxial Digital Cable (sound) - but this SONY BD will be moved to basement when Oppo arrives.

Oppo BD-83 offers 7.1 analog output ~ would I be better off connecting via Analog 5.1 or 7.1 cables (so it will be 4 x RCA audio cable)? Will this offer me better sound than using one digital coaxial?

Is there any "7.1 or 5.1 analog cable"? I googled and found some so-called 6.1 for SACD & Blu-ray at a web site called RAM ($123?) Or I am fine to buy 4 x regular audio cable online from monoprice etc?

Blu-ray player is right above my receiver, I guess 3ft RCA cable is fine? Are most of them 22AWG?

Thanks!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Hi mpact, I have an Oppo 983 and use the stereo analogue outs to connect to my pre-amp. I haven't been all that impressed with the analogue audio quality on the 983, though my standards are pretty high as my music sources consist of a Naim CD5x, Squeezebox Duet and Rega Planar 3 turntable.

In your present system though, the new lossless HD audio formats via analogue will sound superior to digital. Also, the DAC's in your new Oppo are likely superior to those in your Denon AVR. As far as cables go, I would recommend multi-channel audio cables from Blue Jeans Cable, these are superior to both Monoprice and RAM and won't break the bank. 8 channel x 3ft Belden 1694A with Techflex will set you back around $117 + taxes, shipping, duty. Or for slightly more, BJC LC-1 cables with Techflex, these are easier to bend and manipulate behind your system if that's an issue.

cheers,
elapsed

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello elapsed, thanks again! I'll take your advice to go with bluejeans but they do not recommend to add Techflex for BJC LC-1...

One note: LC-1 is thick, and when several runs are bundled together, makes a heavy and less-flexible cable; for that reason, we generally recommend that you not bundle it in the optional Techflex covering (described below).
A dumb question - Oppo & Denon both supports 7.1, while my current speakers (Paradigm Cinema 110CT). Shall I buy 6 channel (5.1) cables, or better off go with 8 channel (7.1) to make it flexible for future upgrade? What do you suggest?

·
Registered
714 Posts
A dumb question - Oppo & Denon both supports 7.1, while my current speakers (Paradigm Cinema 110CT). Shall I buy 6 channel (5.1) cables, or better off go with 8 channel (7.1) to make it flexible for future upgrade? What do you suggest?
In that case I would purchase the 6 channel cable. No need for future flexibility as I'm certain you will eventually have an HDMI capable system should you ever be looking for an upgrade, hense no need for analogue audio cables. Enjoy your new Blu-Ray Player, I'm jelous of your new Oppo ;)

cheers,
elapsed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts