Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new to this forum and have never had to troubleshoot my 2 year old installation until now. I have a 9242 and 2x 3100 receivers. There is a power inserter connected to the 9242 and a SW44 mounted outside on the dish.

Over the past couple of weeks, i have had intermittent loss of signal, then last night during a rain storm (lightning but no where close to my house) lost signal and has not returned. Called BTV suppport and could not fix. Tried power reset, switch test (reception verified on both inputs) and a number of other things. I have a background in Telecommuncations and thought that I would do a little troubleshooting. I started by measuring the voltage out of the power supply into the inserter and see 30 vdc. I am guessing that the power inserter sends dc power on the coax to the switch and/or LNBs for power?? Assuming that is correct, I then measured for a dc voltage on the coax center pin going out to the switch and do not see any dc voltage which I would expect??? Could it be the power inserter is the problem here?

Next I was going to go out to the dish and check all connections and to observe if possible whether or not the dish may have moved.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I live in Airdrie, AB (30 km north of Calgary)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dish looks to have right angle and skew, but cannot verify azimuth.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking of buying a new switch and power inserter but would like to narrow it down first if possible.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Check the dish to make sure the dish base is not loose, especially if it is on a soft surface such as a roof. Try pushing the dish slightly to one side or another, up and down. If it moves easily or the signal returns after a few seconds, that is the problem. Rain can get into connectors and damage cables and switches. I would check those too. Since it affects everything, I am leaning toward the dish going out of alignment or water getting into the port 1 cable on the switch. (The port 1 cable feeds the power to the switch.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply's

1. Signal strength is Zero
2. I will try and move the dish and check port 1 for integrity

Thanks again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bypassed the switch with a cable straight from LNB to my 3100 receiver. Success! 3100 works fine. Looks like it's power inserter, switch or cables inbetween.

Going to buy new switch/power inserter kit tomorrow and keep troubleshooting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
purchased a SW44 and power inserter kit. Replaced the Power inserter and all is fine. Failed Power Inserter was the issue.

Thanks to all that replied!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts