Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used Bell for almost 20 years in western Sask location tucked behind a forested hill and every summer for the last few years have completely lost connection assuming from trees growing taller and leafing out. My line of sight is far better if I can point the dish 20 degrees more to the west. My question is have any Shaw Direct customers switched from Bell for similar reasons and had success with the Shaw satellites which seem to be located at more westerly longitudes.

Thanks for your input.

Jim

·
Registered
704 Posts
Dishpointer Pro App

Hi Jim,

(Great name by the way :wink)

Welcome to the Forum. Lots of good helpful folks here.

I'm a real fan of the Dishpointer Pro App I got for my iPhone. I know it now costs $27 but it can save you a lot of grief figuring out Line of Site issues when looking for the correct Bird.

Check it out here: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/dishpointer-ar-pro/id321914743?mt=8

It also works on Android Phones but I haven't tried that. I have used it on on an iPhone 4S, 5S, and 6S.

·
Registered
8,613 Posts
I just did a quick check of satellite elevations for Bell and Shaw in Saskatoon. The Shaw satellites are between 2 (91) and 4 (82) degrees higher in the sky. Whether that's enough to make a difference will depend on the height and location of the trees.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
8,613 Posts
Bell dish LNBs are incompatible with Shaw so the current setup won't work for finding Shaw satellites. That finder should work for any satellite but it's really not necessary. I wouldn't buy anything made by Digiwave. There are much cheaper satellite finders that do the same thing and much better ones for a little more money.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
We are on a hill which rises to the east and have no chance of picking up Bell but have no problem picking up Shaw Direct. You should be able to dishpointer with your exact location

·
Registered
704 Posts
I don't bother to climb a ladder. I shoot from the ground with the Dishpointer App and pick a location that misses trees, poles, buildings etc. Once found, then I'll go up a ladder and check it again. It's an easy one hand operation on my iPhone.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
I have used Bell for almost 20 years in western Sask location tucked behind a forested hill and every summer for the last few years have completely lost connection assuming from trees growing taller and leafing out. My line of sight is far better if I can point the dish 20 degrees more to the west. My question is have any Shaw Direct customers switched from Bell for similar reasons and had success with the Shaw satellites which seem to be located at more westerly longitudes.

Thanks for your input.

Jim
I have had very similar situations where I had to move my dish due to tree growth etc. My neighbours are not keen on me cutting down there trees. LOL. But yes I am back with Shaw for that very reason, My Bell system has been blocked by tree coverage, I actually had to put my Shaw dish on a 4X4 post out-front of my house to get reception now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts