·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Alright. Here are some numbers.

CBS, and NTV are still blacked out.

Channel 101 Halifax blacked out.

Channel 112 NTV blacked out.

Channel 105 NEW Brunswick working normally.

Global Toronto blacked out.

All the same show and in either SD or HD. So nothing has changed.

Receiver, LNB, Coax, calibration all new and updated. No improvement.

I had thought it might have been an east west shift like in the c-band days but channel 105 New Brunswick is working.

None of this makes sense.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm thinking of getting a third party receiver compatible with shawdirect since this issue seems to one of memory or storage capacity and it never did this with the receivers i purchased outright form shawdirect for 200$ each.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
...that have multiple outputs. I get the impression that the black out feeds are the ones last in line to get the decoding and the receiver runs out of memory. Both receivers having a different set of the same blacked out channels seems to prove this. As mentioned before. Resetting the receivers brings the channel back but looses it once you change channels and another protocol takes it's place.
To bad inserting a blank formatted usb flash drive into the receivers couldn't serve as a temporary buffer.

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
I'd be looking at Shaw Direct's head officet for a solution to this. It still sounds to me like Shaw is implementing blackouts or simsubs incorrectly on these channels. That's a problem at their control centre.

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
Wish i could edit my postings.
You should be able to see an "edit" button at the bottom right of your posts. You need to have a minimum of 5 posts, which you have, and you have up to 12 hours to edit.

If you don't see the edit button at the bottom right of your posts, perhaps try a different browser?

You say your neighbour has a similar issue? If so, you should contact SD's office as mentioned by @ExDilbert.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Ok CBS and Global Toronto are both on F birds so it not a G1 issue. I believe ExDilbert is correct there is some sort of blackout/failed simsub going on. Someone at Shaw should be able to tell you what rules are in place for your area. You said you live in Northern Canada can you narrow it down a bit maybe someone else on the forum in your part of Canada knows your rules

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
57: About mid way between between Ramore and Matheson on the QC/Ont border. It's part of the Duparquet region.

I did talk to shawdirect this morning and didn't get anywhere even after their tech explained the situation to them and they didn't want to transfer me to some one competent.

For time being i am taking a break form this problem. I can get some of the shows off my c-band dish so that will have to do.

Many thanks.

·
Super Moderator
16,573 Posts
I was thinking the same thing about a faulty record in the simsub database, possibly pointing to a channel slot that isn't being used. I took a quick look at this last night and it seems that the Global stations were showing Holey Moley and CBS was showing Football, so it's not a legit simsub. Since I'm not a Shaw Direct subscriber, I had to look up the channel numbers to figure out what was going on and I noticed the OP is on the new National channel lineup. This might make a difference if the channel map is used to do the simsub and would explain why more people aren't seeing this problem. Here is the new channel map.

https://assets.aws.shawdirect.ca/uploadedfiles/shawdirect/content/support/elink-2019/channel_lineup_numerical.pdf

@borrowingtime - some questions:
1. You said you were "half way between Timmins Ontario and Rouyn-Noranda Quebec." Do you know what what your "local" city is? This would control which station you see for local ads when a simsub is done.

2. Did the problems start after you switched to the new channel lineup?

3. Is your neighbour also on the new channel lineup?

Here's another thread discussing simsubs with NTV.
https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-shaw-direct-satellite/139945-shaw-direct-simsub-discussion-27.html#post3088123

Your local Global station is allowed to request a simsub of other Canadian stations that are showing the same program so that you get the local ads. I don't know if they do this for Global stations in other cities, but they do it for NTV.

If it is a simsub error, only Shaw Direct can fix it, but if you can supply them with enough info, it might point them in the right direction.

I'm thinking of getting a third party receiver compatible with shawdirect since this issue seems to one of memory or storage capacity and it never did this with the receivers i purchased outright form shawdirect for 200$ each.
There aren't any compatible third party receivers since the channels are encrypted to prevent piracy and you need a Shaw receiver to decrypt them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Dr.Dave: Noted.

The problems started before the switch over and one shaw rep did try remapping the receiver(s) to the new list before and after the official release date and it didn't help and in fact it got worse.

As for the local city channels which are french btw (RNC Media [aka ckrn], CFEM [regional QC} much like CTV Northbay don't have any commerical/ads priority and if i reset the receiver it's that channels own local adds so it's it's Global Toronto it's Toronto ads. Even the amber alerts from 1000km away.

My neighbor has the basic channels package with NTV the only commonality so when i get more info i will post it. They do have the same receiver.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Alright i am trying my receiver at my neighbors place.
Come to think of it it don't think i will learn anything since it's the weekend.

So yeah no blackouts on the weekends at home of at the neighbors.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Re simsubs and different channel maps. All the channels have an internal number independent of the end label - Classic, Advanced, National. From my understanding it is the internal number that is used in the guide, for PVR recordings, and simsubs. It shouldn't matter what channel map you have.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Quick update. The problem persist and with three receivers and two different plans so i haven't gotten any further since Friday.

That's all i have for now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
LonSat. As for the number dependencies and mapping there are differences and even the shaw tech rep that remapped mine couldn't understand the channel mapping he programed in. It's not what he had on any chart.

The fact that it didn't blackout on the weekend even for a sports game feed or a sponsored NFLD fishing show. You have to ask what exactly shawdirect is doing and what is so special about blacking out "The price is right" game show that is in the 11am slot on CBS. I don't watch it but still it's a strange policy.

Only other theory i can see for the time being is that shawdirect's remote programing is incomplete or has a flaw in it. Since one time they had the programing on the techs usb flash drive and the errors stopped until the receiver updated it self.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I sure can!

Without seeing your account, but knowing your location - you're likely closer to an Ontario station than you are a Quebec equivalent (postal code wise), so you're getting substituted with an Ontario station rather than Quebec. But, being in Quebec, you don't have Ontario stations in your package, so the substitution is coming up as "not subscribed" essentially. I imagine if we add Timeshift to your package, you'll notice that the problem is resolved.

I'd have to see your account, with postal code to fully verify, but these keep cropping up as more customers on the ON/QC border convert to the xKu LNB, enabling more channels to get substituted with.

If you want to PM me your account information (account number or phone number will suffice), I can take a look and I have a couple solutions. You said your neighbour is also affected right?

21 - 37 of 37 Posts