Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My budget is under 500 cnd. I just need a 5.1 receiver to install in the basement for family viewing of movies. From what I have read on here, auto-switching and 3D ready is a good thing to have, and if it has the ipod docking, then that is a bonus.

What would you recommend to a newbie right now looking for a receiver that does it all, but for a price under 500 cnd?

thx

PS: Yes I have read the FAQ, but need first hand experience

·
Registered
89 Posts
You have many choices from major big box stores. Models from Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer fall within your budget. Just make sure they have enough inputs (HDMI) to connect all your components. If you have a turntable, most entry level receivers have no phono input. If 3D TV is in your future make sure your HDMI inputs are rated to provide this. HDMI 1.4 is required for 3D TV, but the numbering of which version HDMI is changing. Personally, Pioneer has models under $500 to give you all the things you will probably need. Denon's on sale will also come in under budget. Go to a reliable Audio/Video store and talk to a sales person and go over your needs, within what your budget allows.

Also check the post a couple below yours titled: "Yamaha vs Denon vs Pioneer" which has a lot of information that is useful for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I usually suggest buying the cheapest receiver with pre-amp outs regardless of brand. That way, you can use your receiver as pre-pro later when you want to add a separate amp.

Unfortunately, you may have to go used to get an AVR with pre-outs for under $500. Fortunately, there are lots of sellers out there.:)

·
Registered
815 Posts
With many manufacturers coming out with their 2010 lineup over the past few weeks/months, there are leftover 2009 models available at good prices. You might be able to get more power/features for your buck with one of those. You should be able to get most/all of the current features except 3D (HDMI 1.4).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a new Denon AVR-591 5.1. It supports 1080p and 3D and has pre-out for all 5 channels should you want to add amps later. I got it for $479 + tax. I'm very happy with it. Another thing worth mentioning is that it also has Audyssey MultEQ wich used to be only offered in theyre higher end models. I did alot of searching before buying it and personaly I think its one of the best AVRs out there in that price range.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I second the choice of Denon.
I bought an AVR-590 last Christmas and it has everything you could want.
The manuals are a little daunting but batpigworld.com is a good resource.

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
SST360 said:
I bought a new Denon AVR-591 ... [it] has pre-out for all 5 channels ...
Not according to the specs or pics on the Denon website, it doesn't: Denon AVR-591

Another thing worth mentioning is that it also has Audyssey MultEQ wich used to be only offered in theyre higher end models.
MultEQ XT is the version of Audyssey that was/is offered in the higher-end models. "Regular" MultEQ was/is common in low- to mid-level models, such as the AVR-591. (This is not a put-down of "regular" MultEQ, which I happen to think works well.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was wrong by stating it has pre outs for 5.1. I appologize. It has one set of outs for left and right plus sub. I'm running a 2 ch integrated on mine to power a pair of towers. Im not sure why Denons site has only sub out listed on they're spec sheet.

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
SST360 said:
It has one set of outs for left and right plus sub. ... Im not sure why Denons site lists sub out only on they're spec sheet.
According to the Product Sheet:
Audio Preout
(Front hight [sic] L/R / Surround Back L/R / SW)
I'm running a 2 ch integrated on mine to power a pair of towers.
Curious: Which of the two audio streams have you assigned to that output on the 591?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes for "heightening surround" effects. There is one dedicated set of outs you can assign for either front or rear. Ive not tried the rears. I like useing the towers/amp for 2 channel stereo as well and having the option of incorporating them during movies too so I just keep them up front.

I'm still a little uncertain as to why Denons page does not list this clearly in there specs. Perhaps there is another new tech term Im missing out on. I admit Im rather new on the AVR grounds (stepping out of years of 2 channel audio) but pretty sure I have a firm enough grasp on it. Even amazon has a picture of the back of the unit, clearly showing all three pre-outs. As does the manual decribing there uses. My Arcam avr 100 is much easier but does'nt have the HDMI and 3d capability I was intersted in since buying a new tv, otherwise I would of stuck with it. The Denon is still a very nice performing piece and I do not regret my purchase in any way.

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
SST360 said:
I'm still a little uncertain as to why Denons page does not list this clearly in there specs. Perhaps there is another new tech term Im missing out on. I admit Im rather new on the AVR grounds (stepping out of years of 2 channel audio) but pretty sure I have a firm enough grasp on it. Even amazon has a picture of the back of the unit, clearly showing all three pre-outs. As does the manual decribing there uses.
The way I understand it, the sub pre-out is exactly that, and the Front Height / Rear Surround (FH/RS) pre-out is selectable for either PLIIz audio OR rear surround audio. So, when you're listening to un-matrixed, two-channel stereo audio, the L+R main channel audio should be coming through the L+R main speaker terminals only. You shouldn't be getting any audio out of those FH/RS pre-outs because they don't appear to be configurable for L+R main channel audio.

Weird...

The Denon is still a very nice performing piece and I do not regret my purchase in any way.
If the price is right and the receiver does what you need it to do, there shouldn't be any reason for regrets. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
"The way I understand it, the sub pre-out is exactly that, and the Front Height / Rear Surround (FH/RS) pre-out is selectable for either PLIIz audio OR rear surround audio. So, when you're listening to un-matrixed, two-channel stereo audio, the L+R main channel audio should be coming through the L+R main speaker terminals only. You shouldn't be getting any audio out of those FH/RS pre-outs because they don't appear to be configurable for L+R main channel audio.

Weird..."

I preffer listening to music through dedicated 2 channel seperates. I jump the rcas to and from my pre amplifier/ AVR as needed. I don't know about weird. A bit of an inconvenience maybe, but worth the extra 5 or 6 seconds ;)

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
I preffer listening to music through dedicated 2 channel seperates. I jump the rcas to and from my pre amplifier/ AVR as needed.
Sorry, but I'm missing something here. Which "rcas" are you switching between your separates and your AVR? If it's the analogue connections on the back of your player, I do understand what you're doing and, you're right, there's nothing "weird" about that.

What has me confused is the fact that, in an earlier post, you wrote:
[The AVR-591] has one set of outs for left and right plus sub. I'm running a 2 ch integrated on mine to power a pair of towers.
I took the "on mine" to mean "on those FH/RS pre-outs". (That is, player IN to AVR-591 and then OUT - through the FH/RS pre-outs - to your separates.) If that's the case, then I don't understand what stereo audio you could be listening to since those pre-outs can't be configured for L+R main channel audio. (Or can they?)

Could you please clarify? Thanks! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry for the confusion. What I do is bypass the preamp section in my integrated and use it for a power amp with my AVR. Then I have a tube pre amplifier I also use to run the integrated just because I preffer its sound over the integrateds internal pre. I switch the rca leads from the avr's outs and plug them into my pre, and vise versa depending on weather I'm in the mood for movies or music. Its all I can do for now until I can afford a dedicated amp and another set of speakers.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I think there may be another factor for the reason as to not seeing many replies. We are in a technology switch or upgrade era right now from HDMI 1.3 to 1.4 and the new introduction of 3D. I hadn't posted on this subject earlier because I didn't think I had any good input to contribute that would help. Not only that, I don't want everyone to think I am just a biased Yamaha fanatic even thought I am a fanatic. There are other good products out there as well. I just follow the Yamaha updates closely. However, in the last little while I am seeing new models coming allot more regularly now. I am still on the bench with all this new 3D stuff and am not so sold on it as some others may be. However, I do believe that these are some new units you may want to have a look at:

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=5119754&CTID=5000400

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetailmedia.html?CNTID=5125526&CTID=5069422

The second one obviously allot more than you wanted to spend, but hey, there's to be some nice new stuff out there.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for this, the Yamaha sure looks good and seems to fit the bill. I just need to find speakers and a sub that will go with it

·
Registered
139 Posts
I found a Denon AVR-890 new in sealed box at Futureshop for $499.98 with a 5 year extended warranty. the salesperson wouldnt give it to me without the warranty for less... Its $409.98 for the receiver and $89.99 for the 5 year ext. warranty. Anyway, i tought the deal was decent so i bought it.

Its been great so far, the sound is much better than my 11 year old Technics 5.1 receiver. The 1080p converting is nice also. Audyssey helped to finetune everything. Unfortunately (for my wife) i needed to replace my passive sub and my surrounds. Having HD sound is awesome. I love it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts