Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, it's my time to step out into the world and buy my first HDTV :)

I am looking at 2 models. Either the Sharp Aquos LC40LE700UN, or the Sharp Aquos Quattron LC40LE810UN.

Where I am, the price is $400 more for the Quattron TV, than the other LED TV. Do you think it is worth it? I'm kind of stuck between the 2 :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Check them out in person if you can and see which one appeals to you.

Personally I would go for the LC40LE700UN and save the $400 for other goodies but it's your money so you decide :)

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that link Hugh. Excellent read. I guess I have to wait until the 640hZ 10000000000000000000000 dynamic contrast ratio TV comes out. Time to start saving :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another question. I don't think I saw it mentioned in the article, but is there a difference between LCD TV's and LED TV's? I now know about all the gimmicks about contrast, colour gamut, etc. Just wondering if an LED TV is just another gimmick.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your replies. One more question :)

I googled about calibrating a HDTV, and a site called TweakTV came up. It lists exact model numbers, the recommended settings for each model. Anyone here recommend/don't recommend TweakTV?

·
Registered
58 Posts
New Sticky Thread Suggestion

The settings on the web do not apply to your particular TV, equipment, environment. Tweak TV settings are often way off the settings I see when I optimize a TV. Here's a post on the topic.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=449673&postcount=2
57 and/or Q,

Maybe DigitalHome could start a Sticky thread entitled "Canadian ISF Calibrators, where are you located? Please post here!". I (for one) am getting too old to try to learn all these things for myself and would certainly consider using one of these technicians to "tune up" my Panasonic Plasma (2007 model). :)

Grelber

·
Registered
58 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

Perhaps the point of not providing a listing of calibrators is precisely because all are not the same.

You don't have to have a sheet of paper that says ISF or THX to be a good calibrator. And conversely, that sheet of paper is no real proof that the person is any good anyway.

Any potential calibrator that tells a client to leave the room while he works ... should be steered clear of ...

Calibration is more than just working on the display, it must also include a sizeable education component to it to make the client understand the process and what the goals are. Conceptually ... it is about providing an understanding of the questions ... so that the answers from calibration make sense.

A calibrated image without the understanding of why it is what it is ... is a useless effort.

regards

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

I have ...

The spears and munsil HD disc has more precise patterns for brightness and contrast.

The WOW is a nice package although the choice of a whole bunch of CGI film clips to demo is questionable as that stuff tends to look good on any tv ... calibrated or otherwise.

Instructions are pretty clear ... but the area on setting contrast is not the one used by professional calibrators. It would seem to advocate cutting off all data past 100% white.

This is good in theory but can result in discolored whites as well since it means moving the contrast control higher than normal.

regards

·
Super Moderator
56,524 Posts
An article in the recent Sound & Vision discusses the various recent setup BDs. It was interesting to note that there were several comments similar to what Michael TLV stated about various test patterns perhaps not giving you the best possible setting for a specific parameter. I have found the same with some of the test patterns making the black level too high (grey) or too low (black crush). After doing a few hundred, it's pretty easy to tell. ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for the Great Input

Greetings

Perhaps the point of not providing a listing of calibrators is precisely because all are not the same.
My point of view is A Mig at your six is better then no Mig at all :cool:

A calibrated image without the understanding of why it is what it is ... is a useless effort.
I agree with everything else from your posting, Michael. Thank you very much for your input, And another BIG THANK YOU to 57 for his input and for putting up with a "Krusty Old Phart" like myself. Hey! Maybe I'll change my UserName to Kropht :p (pronounced Croft).

It's a little early for this but,
Seasons Greetings to All,

Grelber

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
So, would it be ok to calibrate a HDV with Disney's Blu-ray, but calibrate the brightness and contrast instead with the Spears & Munsil Blu-ray?

Obviously I'm a newbie at this, but it seems the Disney Blu-ray is more geared for people like me.

By the way, I'm pretty much settled on buying the Sharp LC40LE700UN.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

The spears and munsil disc is just fine for both brightness and contrast. Color and tint and sharpness are also straight forward enough.

The color/tint is the same as the disney disc ... but the sharpness is a bit easier to use.

the disney disc is a good one for 1:1 pixel mapping and Goofy's guide to HDTV. It also costs more than the s&m disc. The second disc with scenic vistas is sort of a throwaway.

The sharp actually calibrates more decently than this year's models. Down side of the TV is viewing angles. Sharp has some of the weakest out there of all the tv sets. Samsung / Sony / LG are all better with LG actually be the top of the heap for LCD/LED viewing angles.

In Winnipeg, I know of no name branded person that does calibrations. Suggest you check the imagingscience.com site for winnipeg and you will find lots of best buy and future shop locations. There are no THX calibrators in Winnipeg. I'm the only cal guy that travels to the peg to service customers ... at least once a year.

regards

·
Registered
577 Posts
Shouldn't most of these posts be in a different thread---calibrations for example?

I was looking through here as I also am interested in purchasing a new tv and was looking for feedback/comments on the various models out there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Michael TLV,

Thanks VERY much. I really appreciate your input, and advice. I've heard of people who have almost every calibration disc out there, and use the best parts from each. Everyone knows that all calibration discs are not created the same. That's why I was looking for a disc directed at a newbie like myself, and also another disc or two once I know what I'm doing, or not :)

Nighthawk 1,

I think all the posts belong in this thread, since I started it. There are other discussions on calibration I'm sure. You can use the search feature to find the one that suits you.

I too was looking at various models. Best thing is to google the exact model(s) you are looking at, and search this site as well, and people will let you know their reviews of those models.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts