Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states I'm looking for a good, cheap VPN provider.

I've seen 'life-time' deals in the past for $50 -->$100. but didn't care then. Now I do.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm using ipVanish.. fast, stable, not the cheapest.. multiple devices. Can find cheap annual deals if you dig around

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Guess it will depend on the 'type' of vpn service your looking for..

A DNS based.. or a full client all data type vpn.

I am currently using PIA (private internet access)

·
Registered
8,613 Posts
PIA works well and (at last look) is the most affordable commercial OpenVPN service available. OpenVPN provides very good security. It won't work with sites like Netflix though.

TOR is cheaper (free?) but server sites may be compromised and the NSA actively hacks it to find criminal activity.

If you want to use VPN with media streaming services, StrongVPN claims to work. There may be others but they will cost a little more than PIA.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just trying to hide my IP address.

Thanks for the help. I found some providers for $40 --> $60 for life-time licence [or until they go under, I guess]

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am using HMA. It is good and fast. It doesn't make my Internet connection too slow. I am on a monthly package. I don't have any idea about the life time package. You may take a look on the official site.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had used about three or more VPN providers. HMA (Hide My Ass), Astrill, VyprVPN. Last one is really not much of a help. But you can try the other two. Maybe they will be helpful to you.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I've been using BTGuard for several years as my VPN - have had no issues, and provides a IP address in the Netherlands when I use it.

I pay by PayPal for a few months at a time just to cover myself if they go under.

·
Registered
8,613 Posts
I've used HMA and PIA. They are about the same in most respects but PIA is a little cheaper. Both are well established and have been around for years (and probably will be for a few more.) Both take security and privacy seriously.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I used PIA for a few years and was happy with it for the most part. It was reliable, and the software had some useful features (kill switch, etc.), although it was buggy at times and required some troubleshooting (I had to flush my DNS cache regularly). Overall I would recommend as the price is right and it is a very versatile and well-supported service.

I recently signed up for Smart DNS Proxy, which gives you access to their Smart DNS service and their VPN service. Every so often they have a 70% off sale, which amounted to approx. $26 USD for a two year subscription. So far I have no complaints, although I've only used it a few times. There are lots of VPN servers all over the world, and they have a breakdown of which ones are best suited for certain activities. No logging. This has the added bonus of giving you access to their Smart DNS service, which is valuable if you’re like me and enjoy getting around geo-blocking restrictions employed by popular streaming services. Smart DNS and VPN all in one, for a great price. Again, time will tell but so far it has worked as desired for me.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
May I call you 'T'? Thanks for that.

Unfortunately, the moral force I live with has decided I should curtail practises that would have need of such services. It continues.

·
Registered
245 Posts
What moral force would curtail the desire to have privacy on the web which a VPN can provide? Not judging, just curious.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What moral force would curtail the desire to have privacy on the web which a VPN can provide? Not judging, just curious.
My guess is he's referring to the use of a VPN or Smart DNS service to get around geo-based content restrictions employed by streaming sites. While the practice is not illegal, I understand some people find it immoral. I respectfully disagree with said people, but that is a topic that has been heavily debated on several other threads and forums.

There are many legitimate and important reasons why people to choose to use a VPN. I consider it almost a necessity nowadays with all the prying eyes on the Internet.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I is not for reasons you assumed, Mr. T, but it fills a similar need.
I would never try to justify the morality of my doings, but no-one is being physically hurt by it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
In that case, either one of the VPN services I mentioned will work well for you. They are specifically set up to protect you in case you happen to make a mistake and cross a moral threshold (because no one is perfect 100% of the time).

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 34 Posts