Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I am looking for a a 15-16" laptop preferably with a br drive and i5-i7 processor. The ones i have looked at on the bb and fs site are all sony's (but I am not exclusive to sony's) as they are the only ones with br drives in this price range.

Another thing I was wondering is would having an i7 processor with a lower ghz speed, ie. 1.73, be better or worse than having an i5 processor with a higher ghz, ie. 2.26?

I am looking to do some gaming on it, as well as multi-media stuff, web browsing, just typical run of the mill computer stuff, nothing to fancy.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I recommend you look at Asus or Toshiba. I wouldn't touch HP. The higher end Sony's are nice but the lower end are not the best

I bought the Vaio F Series when it first came out because I couldn't believe the price. This was when i7's were just hitting the market and I got it for $1000 with a solid start hard drive! I didn't notice in the store, but I really think Sony cheaped out on this screen and material.

The case and touchpad feels a lot cheaper than my old 2006 Toshiba. The speakers are easily the worst speakers I've ever heard.. even youtube sounds like sh!t.. I usually plug in my receiver by HDMI. The screen is really washed out (no matter what settings I change) and has horrible off angle viewing. The battery is just a backup imo, it doesn't last (I stay plugged in)

Despite all this it is a good laptop for the price (however I got it on sale from sony.ca with coupon from RFD and with better video card than your link). They obviously cheaped out on what they could to manage this. The performance is light years ahead of what I've owned before.

I recommend a solid state hard drive (or get a small HD and swap one in later). I think I got mine by fluke because Sony USA was charging far more for the upgrade. The SS hard drive makes a huge difference whereas the i7 is overkill for most people imo

Don't shop based on specs/price alone. I'd get a $1000 laptop and swap in a solid states when the prices comes down

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, with all the help I received here:rolleyes:, i picked up the 15.5" sony vaio with i5 dual core 2.27ghz processor, ati radeon video card and br player. Staples had it on special for $50 off with a free 8 gb usb drive and $10 (regular 60) wireless n router. Decided i couldn't pass it up. Great so far. Easy to configure and get up and running and it is wicked fast compared to my very dated desktop.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Can't help you when I pay under $400 for laptops(different requirements) and I love HP compared to the other guy trying to help.:p

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't quite say it is high end, but I am quite impressed with its performance so far, even though it has only been a day.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Vaio's are generally rated very highly in customer satisfaction and some of the best in reliability. I did have to reformat mine within a month and then send it back as something was defective. I think that was a rare case and Sony support was great

HP sells the most laptops thanks to price and marketing but they also have the worst reliability. For $400 if it lasts a year you can just buy another one though. 16% of them fail in under 2 years, 26% of them fail in under 3 according to Squaretrade warranties. I'm sure many of them just get thrown out if they don't have extended warranty. That's the way consumerism works, great for the environment

Next time I'll buy a Macbook

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If macbooks had br drives i would be typing on it right now, but alas, this was the next best option for me.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yea Macbooks had a few deal breakers for me too.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
If macbooks had br drives i would be typing on it right now, but alas, this was the next best option for me.
I have one I love it... best laptop I ever owned. Obviously BR wasn't a deal breaker for me but I'm curious as to why BR is desirable on a laptop? I guess to watch movies on the road and such? Apple is stupid for not giving the option IMO...

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don't understand why they can't have HDMI either. Sure mini DVI does the same in video... but no sound in the same cord.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts