Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, the inexpensive but effective outdoor bedroom antenna I'd been using for years died on me (RCA ANT702Z Digital Amplified Indoor/Outdoor). I don't see it available anymore and it could've been a tad better, sometimes cutting out on a couple of my main channels, but overall pretty good.

I can't find an update to the Antenna Chart (Antenna Chart) so was just wondering if there is an update somewhere OR for advice on something comparable but maybe with just a little more strength to it. I think a 61 km/38-mile range should get me what I need.

All the techie stuff about antennas is way above my pay grade so I'm just looking for some simple advice for a solid, relatively low profile outdoor mounted antenna. I've noticed the compact RCA yagi's however, even those are a little bigger than I'd prefer but I'll go with one if that's the best option for me. I just tried one of those flat antennas you put in a window and it was kind of sad (not sure if you get what you pay for there and quality can vary? This replacement's a $20 Best Buy brand.) The original RCA I'm replacing was ~$20 so it would be nice if I could keep it on the moderately priced side, maybe no more than $35 but I could be convinced to go higher if the quality really stands out.

p.s., my house has white siding so a white one would be nice if it meets the above criteria. :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Antennas are almost all pricier than the original RCA, but then what isn't? I'd go for the Antennas Direct ClearStream Flex due to their good support and warranty service.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Here is one I recently got. The price was right. And I know what your going to say. "But Ken, it looks like a giant butt plug!". Don't knock it if you don't try it. The antenna, not the butt plug. :)

I currently have it just sitting on the floor by my balcony door and I get all the channels locally.

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Apart from the branding, the following antenna looks identical to the budget pick in the link in post #2. It appears to be a generic budget antenna marketed under several brands. Ignore the station logos. They are for UK TV but their UHF band is very similar to ours. There are similar products with US network logos for $8 more.

Biling TV Antenna,Indoor TV

·
Registered
311 Posts
Where do you live and what are you trying to receive? If it's just UHF channels it's easier, if you have VHF channels you need to get, things get a little more difficult and LARGER.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is one I recently got. The price was right. And I know what your going to say. "But Ken, it looks like a giant butt plug!". Don't knock it if you don't try it. The antenna, not the butt plug. :)

I currently have it just sitting on the floor by my balcony door and I get all the channels locally.

OH MY GOSH, I was laughing just at your comment but when I clicked on it and saw what it looked like...cracking me right up over here!

·
Registered
311 Posts
OH MY GOSH, I was laughing just at your comment but when I clicked on it and saw what it looked like...cracking me right up over here!
I wouldn't buy that unless you were in a high rise apartment and the transmitters were within 10 miles. Buttplug antennas are probably as bad as those flat pieces of rubber they are selling.

A lot of people buy the small RCA high VHF/UHF antenna based on a Winegard design... $40 US and it works. Climb the roof or put on the eave and you'll be set for 15 years, plus you can walk around the house and NOT lose the station!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where do you live and what are you trying to receive? If it's just UHF channels it's easier, if you have VHF channels you need to get, things get a little more difficult and LARGER.
I live right across the river from Windsor in the U.S., about 17 miles from the CBET station. RabbitEars.Info

These below are what I want (and their sub-channels). I had all of them with the old RCA antenna (~8 x 5" rectangular) mounted to an outside north corner of my house just under the 2nd story roofline. The flat square Insignia antenna I replaced it with is indoor only so I have it in the only window in my bdrm, which faces west and I'm missing about 1/2 of these.

Rectangle Font Line Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I wouldn't buy that unless you were in a high rise apartment and the transmitters were within 10 miles. Buttplug antennas are probably as bad as those flat pieces of rubber they are selling.

A lot of people buy the small RCA high VHF/UHF antenna based on a Winegard design... $40 US and it works. Climb the roof or put on the eave and you'll be set for 15 years, plus you can walk around the house and NOT lose the station!

Thanks. This (your RCA recommendation) is one I was looking at recently and have saved as an option but it's a little bigger than I hoped. The old RCA one is barely noticeable and was mostly just what I needed...I may end up with this one anyway but it's worth exploring all options! EDIT: just realized this model is one that was on the Antenna Chart from 2014 so it's got extra credibility :).

·
Registered
311 Posts
I live in Windsor. Fox 2 and CBC 9 are the only ones on the hi-VHF, except for some underpowered Low VHF station that nobody gets anymore, from Detroit. This is why you'll need some high VHF elements along with the UHF, like the RCA I mentioned. It's small, can mount on a J-Pole outside and is perfect for within 35 miles or so.

One of the issues you'll have is the pointing direction as CBC 9 transmitter is South of me in McGregor, ON and your other stations are in a different location.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I live in Windsor. Fox 2 and CBC 9 are the only ones on the hi-VHF, except for some underpowered Low VHF station that nobody gets anymore, from Detroit. This is why you'll need some high VHF elements along with the UHF, like the RCA I mentioned. It's small, can mount on a J-Pole outside and it perfect for within 35 miles or so.

One of the issues you'll have is the pointing direction as CBC 9 transmitter is South of me in McGregor, ON and your other stations are in a different location.
Yes, both CBC 9 and Fox 2 would sometimes cut out on me with my old antenna so that was sometimes a challenge and that's what I was hoping I could eliminate this time around. Most everything else points north of me so the old position facing north was pretty good overall. If I remember correctly when I looked at this in the past, CBC was almost directly due East of me.

I didn't want to complicate things but I do have a Channel Master 4221(?) mounted on my roof for the main tv. It's getting up there in age but it gives me everything I want. I've been reluctant over the years to split it with another tv because I didn't want to erode the signal. The cable run would be about 30-35 feet to get to my bedroom tv. I'd rather have the best signal for the family tv. and a weaker one in my room with a cheaper antenna than erode the family's tv. Thoughts on if my logic is valid?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'd get a CM distribution amp and run two TV's off the 4221 as long as you have somewhere to plug in the amp and are using good RG6 cable.

Getting stations that 'cut out' isn't reliable reception. If you get Ch 9 and 2 reliably on the main TV, you can get it with a distribution amp to other rooms of the house.

I have this and it's awesome.

If you don't want to run coax and drill through walls/floors, then get a combo antenna like I've suggested and at least put it at the eave... to get everything you want.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd get a CM distribution amp and run two TV's off the 4221 as long as you have somewhere to plug in the amp and are using good RG6 cable.

Getting stations that 'cut out' isn't reliable reception. If you get Ch 9 and 2 reliably on the main TV, you can get it with a distribution amp to other rooms of the house.

I have this and it's awesome.

If you don't want to run coax and drill through walls/floors, then get a combo antenna like I've suggested and at least put it at the eave... to get everything you want.
Does this only amplify the signal and I'd still need to get some sort of "splitter" or will this also split the signal to the 2 cables?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have the CM-3412 as well. Works good. Just wanted to say I've only been to Windsor ones... ummm twice technically. Drove from Toronto to Detroit years back for a Lions game. It seems you get WAY more TV than I do here in Winterpeg. I wish the US stations would build their antenna's closer to the border so we can pick them up free. We get free US TV and we'd see their commercials and want to come down and shop. Just saying. It's a win win. Oh well.

Same place as the Amazon but sadly has doubled in price in last month. Probably cause **** is so expensive now.

·
Registered
130 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Does this only amplify the signal and I'd still need to get some sort of "splitter" or will this also split the signal to the 2 cables?
It splits and amplifies so there is no signal loss. Best of both worlds, but it needs a power outlet and the biggest chore is running and routing the cables.

My signal comes into the basement and my amp(s) are mounted there, then the coax is routed through the basement's drop ceiling and I drilled holes through the floor to each TV. If you know what you are doing, you can make it neat. It gets easier if you aren't fussy how it looks.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have the CM-3412 as well. Works good. Just wanted to say I've only been to Windsor ones... ummm twice technically. Drove from Toronto to Detroit years back for a Lions game. It seems you get WAY more TV than I do here in Winterpeg. I wish the US stations would build their antenna's closer to the border so we can pick them up free. We get free US TV and we'd see their commercials and want to come down and shop. Just saying. It's a win win. Oh well.

Same place as the Amazon but sadly has doubled in price in last month. Probably cause **** is so expensive now.

You are giving him Canadian links. He's in Michigan and has access to way better deals than we do here. The CM distribution amplifiers do go on sale on Amazon occasionally. Lots of US retailers of antenna equipment as well.

It appears that CM has brought out a new line of amps as well. All I can attest to is the Mini-2 and Mini-4 work well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh my bad. Thought he lived in Windsor. Must have just skimmed over it.
Not a problem, whenever I got CA links, I just copied the product name over to the US site without any issues. I'm the one interloping on a .CA site as a US citizen so a little extra effort to get great advice is worth it.

And I'm a female. :) I thought it would be obvious by my picky requirements in my original post. LOL.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts