Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Frist I want to say Hi ! And I am a beginner to 7.1
I just redid my family room entertainment setup(in the basement). And I am looking to buy some what reasonable price for the side surround speakers. My old setup was 5.1. Here is what I have now
Pioneer VSX-1325-K / Receiver
Polk Audio (RTI10) / Front speakers
???????? /side surround speakers
Paradigm Titans / Rears
Kenwood 10505W 150 W / Self Powered Subwoofer
Samsung UN55C6500 55" LED HDTV
I was looking at the BOSE double cube speaker for their size.
Here is some pics of what I am limited to.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Looks like you have a drop ceiling there. Since there doesn't appear to be a convenient place on the right side, perhaps you could consider some in-ceiling speakers for the "side" surrounds? You don't provide a photo of the rear wall. Perhaps you could leave your existing speakers as the sides and add two on the back wall for the rear surrounds?

Bo$e speakers have been discussed extensively on this forum and you won't find much good said about them, especially the smaller versions which tend to be part of a package and do not work well alone. Bo$e tend to be much more expensive than equivalent speakers from other manufacturers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry it would only allow me only post 3 pics but here is the other pic.
It is a big room.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I like side speakers to be di-polar, that way it doesn't matter as much where you sit in the room. I see you have a couch on the side, much like I do.
To go with you Polks, I'd say you need the Pold LSiF/X,
http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/lsi/index.php#lsifx
they're made to be side or rear for 5.1or7.1.
I have Wharfedale Diamond 9.DFS,
http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/Products/Product/tabid/78/PID/166/CID/210/language/en-GB/Default.aspx#detail
but i see they've been replaced by 10.DFS
Also, Just in-case someone tells you you don't need 7.1, I'm a big believer in 7.1, even though my room is too small.
For the few movies that have real 7.1 DTS-MA, its really worth it. And the Normal 5.1 with the EX mode on your AVR work pretty good for giving movies depth of surround.
Good Luck!

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Based on your recent photo in post 4 - the most important information is now available. I would put the side surrounds to the left and right of the couch on the walls that seem to be able to accommodate them - as mentioned above, dipoles would likely be good, probably about 2' above ear height and if the wall for the Right surround is a bit back from the couch, that would likely not be a problem.

You should then have your rear surrounds on the back wall. I would place them to the right and left of that "jut out". The current speakers mounted near the ceiling could be used for the rears and hung from the ceiling again about couch-width apart, or mounted to the rear wall.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not to be a stick-in-the-mud, but I would strongly recommend leaving your system 5.1. I have a 7.1 system upstairs and am constantly frustrated by having to listen to blu-rays in Dolby ex instead of the HD formats. My AVR removes the back rear speakers when switching to 5.1. If you're set on 7.1, I use ADP 190's as my rear L/R and Titans (V3) as Rear Back... Very pleasing sound but rarely used to potential. ADP 190's are also quite expensive, but they do blend well with the rest of the system

That's already a beautiful setup btw! And those Polk's look like they might do the trick. I agree with the other poster that said Dipole/Bipole for side surrounds are nice...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Not to be a stick-in-the-mud, but I would strongly recommend leaving your system 5.1. I have a 7.1 system upstairs and am constantly frustrated by having to listen to blu-rays in Dolby ex instead of the HD formats.
I'm thinking that would be an issue with your receiver not the format. When I ran a 7.1 system I had no issues with expanding my 5.1 BD into 7.1 with the HD sound formats.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'd recommend the setup 57 has mentioned. Its similar to what I have, and i'm using Paradigm ADP-190's for the side surrounds. They're dipole and they sound great. One is in the picture to the upper right.

I have a line on a complete set of PSB Image towers, centre and surrounds (S5 model) at a great price, and I'm thinking of replacing what I have. The S5's are bipole - do you think these will sound similar in my setup?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts