Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although photography a hobby of mine, I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to tripods, so I'm looking for a little help :)

The most important criteria is it has to be able to tilt laterally (not sure exactly what the correct term is) so I can take portrait-oriented photos. Ideally, I should be able to switch and lock/unlock quickly between landscape and portrait positions.

The tripod should be extend to at least eye-level (about 68").

Nice to have would be something which has the ability to lock the legs in different positions, so that there base doesn't cover as wide a space when being used in tight spaces (almost as if it were acting as a monopod). Also, something that's portable/lightweight enough to bring along with me on short hikes would be a bonus.

Having said all that, I'm not looking to buy some uber-expensive carbon fiber tripod + ball head combo. I had originally budgeted about ~$100 for the tripod, but not sure at this point if I can get one that will do everything I want it to.

·
Registered
520 Posts
One quick question is what kind of camera do you have? In general you can get away with lighter tripods with Point and Shoot cameras.

A $100 budget may not be sufficient. My first tripod was something I picked up at one of the big box stores for my DV Camcorder and while adequate for the camcorder was pretty wobbly with my DSLR on it.

Avoid tripods with crank up center posts as they are wiggly.
Try to find one that extends up to your eye level without having to resort to the center post.
Most tripods should allow you to lock the legs at other than fully extended or not spread them all the way.
Most people prefer ball heads for still photography as they allow you to quickly adjust the orientation from portrait to landscape or tweak the horizon in the shot. The three axis pan & tilt heads are better for video if you want to pan.

$200 will get you a entry level Manfrotto or Gitzo tripod and a lightweight ball head if you wait for a sale. See this thread for a recent discussion.

·
Registered
520 Posts
...The most important criteria is it has to be able to tilt laterally (not sure exactly what the correct term is) so I can take portrait-oriented photos. Ideally, I should be able to switch and lock/unlock quickly between landscape and portrait positions.
A ball-head would be quicker but if the opposite axis on a pan & tilt is set level then you can flip between portrait & landscape orientations quickly.

With a XT I'd be looking at a manfrotto 190 or 55 tripod with a 468RC2 ballhead. It's a personal thing though and very much up to user preference. Best bet is probably to go to a store specializing in photographic equipment with your body & lenses and try out a few different models. If you have the camera on the tripod you should not see any wobble in the legs fully extended when you apply slight to moderate tugs on the camera.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts