Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am looking for a new ISP that provides unlimited bandwidth. I currently live in Montreal. Haven't been here for long so I am not quite familiar on how to get a decent internet connection.

I have tried Bell and Videotron. Bell was ok, cheap compared to Videotron but I had to pay for extra bandwidth.
Videotron had the best download speed (cable) however very expensive bandwidth.
I am currently with Primus, unlimited bandwidth but slow connection.

Would anyone have any recommendations as to where can I get cable/dls connection? I was perhaps thinking maybe satellite? (maybe a dedicated IP would be faster?)

Would appreciate the help.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I know Teksavvy has a no cap account, and is available in Montreal, but that's all I know. So google their site for info as their cable services are under ongoing development. (I use Teksavvy, but have the cheaper 200GB account.) Aren't "no cap" accounts going to essentially disappear in several months, practically speaking? Since I am a very light user I haven't paid real close attention...

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Sorry, I really stopped paying attention to it so don't go by what I say, lots of CRTC and large ISP politics... I'm sure it's discussed here. If in fact it's going to happen. I thought they were talking 60GB caps in November, something like that...?? And you pay for overage, so it's not like you can't get more, but at an overall higher cost for very heavy users. Surely more $$ for less doesn't surprise you, in Canada...

Edit: LOL, check the thread right below this one right *now*...

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Bell has permission to back charge ISPs for individual account overages at $1.75/GB. Not sure if this applies to the Rogers accounts but they just started with a 200GB limit plan through Teksavvy. If Bell goes ahead with this, it would mean the end of unlimited accounts with Teksavvy.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I read the docs from Bell back when they first proposed this idea to the crtc, and which later would be approved by them too, that it was 60 gigs they were going to cap it at. Pretty much this would level the playing field and no one would have any advantage cap wise over anyone else. Only Teleco and Cableco's would have the advantage as the crtc has regulated that Bell need only provide wholesale ISP's with 5056/800 kbps and no more... Thus why wholesale ISP's don't sell more on dsl, because bell does not have to make these new services they have available to anyone else.

See the problem is Bell claims that as an ISP you only pay for the port on the dslam to plug into. You are not paying for the bandwidth to get back to your equipment. As an isp you have to provide your own fibre to interconnect with bell, so the only point is between the dslam and your fibre that is technically running on bells fibre... Bell was saying that Wholesale isp's were chewing up a ton of their bandwidth and since they were not paying for that portion back to the ISP's fibre that the ISP should bare the cost of any overages past a cap of 60 gigs...

The part I do love is like a couple of weeks after this was announced, bell announced they would be doing TV over the cell phones... Got to love how bandwidth use is good for the goose but not the gander. If bell really has a problem with not enough bandwidth then maybe they should limit their own services... I don't buy this BS they are feeding people.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The biggest BS is the back charge cost. There is no way it costs $1.75 to carry a GB of data. These are punitive charges to eliminate competition with Bell's other services. The same goes for Rogers. They don't want competition for their telephone, TV and retail ISP operations. To put it bluntly, Bell and Rogers think the should be the only companies allowed to deliver TV, telephone and internet in their regions of operation. This is simply anti-competitive behaviour on their part and it is being done with the blessings and support of the CRTC.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts