Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
How many people would be within 10 miles of your residence in the same situation?

Reason I ask is that I own a wireless ISP and we are looking for areas to deploy

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Do you have cell phone reception?
The "portable" or "mobile" internet solutions (or wimax.. etc) use cell towers to give you access. It's mighty pricy though, so you have to consider if the extra speed it worth it or not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
ive never had a problem with my cell phone here so im assuming the reception is good.
is this Bell Wimax the best way to go?
my mother told me the lady she talked to who just got Wimax had to pay around $180 for installation and its around $50 a month. currently we pay around $20 a month. im not worried about the extra $30 a month to get high speed if this is going to be significantly better than dial up.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Broadband Internet Maps for all of Canada online now

This site shows a lot of options for high speed internet in rural areas with a detailed map of every place in Canada:

http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/sitt/bbmap/hm.html?lng=eng

You have to click on the place where you are looking for high speed internet and the information comes up. It doesnt include Xplornet satellite which is available everywhere in Canada, but it DOES have a lot of wireless ISPs depending on the place you click.

It looks like the federal government wants to know if you dont have access also, since there is a feedback form when you click on the place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
im looking for some help.
just today a guy from Bell came out to test the signal for Wimax. it failed :(
a lady maybe 10 minutes away was able to get it, but i guess im so far in the country its not an option.
the Bell guy was talking to my dad about some rocket stick from Rogers. my dad went to the Rogers store in town to price it, but its $100 a month, expensive. im considering it because im so tired of dial up.
my dad also said he heard from someone that sprint has a high speed option, but sprint is now Rogers? Rogers said they dont have that type of thing the same as Bell Wimax.
there are people around that are maybe 5 minutes who have some type of high speed internet tower thing so my dad said he might go talk to them sometime to see what they get.

are there any other high speed options someone could suggest? im so tired of dial up, 26.4 kbps is hell!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Binbrook, Cayuga, Caledonia etc

I typed in all those places into the tool I mentioned in the previous post and it came up with 2 fixed wireless ISPs in most of them :

Mountain Cable fixed wireless, and
Xplornet fixed wireless

·
Registered
6 Posts
i used the google map in that website and found a closer area of Caistorville. i was surprised to find somewhere that close as caistorville isnt on many maps. the 2 i found where Mountain Cable and Neighbourhood wireless. ive heard of Mountain cable, but the Neighbourhood wireless is new to me. i checked their website and looked at their loaction area covered and i should be within the area. got the phone number and im going to tell my dad to call them tomorrow.
thanx for the help, hope it works

·
Registered
164 Posts
Slow speeds, suggestions please

I'm a TS customer and pleased with the CS. My only issue is that I'm can only get 1Meg downloads max. It sucks I am paying for 5 and can't even get close to that. No fault of TS, just that my location is far.

They've tried everything in there power to increase my speeds, the only other option is to connect me to a remote box in my neighborhood, but all the lines are always full.

What are my options, cable? Rogers is my only bet I guess, but I rather not go there. I just recently cancelled all my Rogers services including cable TV.

What to do?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Which one is best aliant or rogers

Hi,
I am from St. John's, NL. I am thinking of taking a new bradband connection. Which one is better in terms of the BandWidth. Like...which one gives a constant Bandwidth throughout the whole day. Bell Aliant or Rogers?????

·
Registered
261 Posts
This is my first post (though I've been a proud lurker for some time) so please excuse me if I'm doing this wrong.

I'm moving to Montreal soon and am trying to choose an ISP and digital cable provider. My experience with Bell phone and internet has been pretty negative so I'd like to avoid them.

Here are my requirements:

Digital Cable used for watching mostly non-HD sports, no PVR
High Speed internet equal or greater than 7Mbps, 60GB a month dl/ul
Cheap phone for local calls

I've spent a lot of time on the cogeco and videotron sites and am hoping for some more critical perspectives.

Finally, every time I go to check to see if Cogeco is available at my new address I type in my postal code and street number and get an "unavailable address" result. I've tried searching with a variety of addresses and get the same result. So, simply, does anyone know if Cogeco is certainly available around St Viateur+St Urbain?

Thank you.
hello benjamin.sisko!

Cogeco don't have any territory on the montreal island, the whole island is deserved by Videotron

but theres is some good deal, if you want the high speed internet with 60 GB per month, its possible, if you take the normal high speed internet and a 30GB data block(12.50$ per data block)

theres also the Extreme High Speed internet that give 100 GB per month with a 10Mbps speed

·
Registered
1 Posts
looking for highspeed

Hi

I looking for high speed internet service for cheap price. currently located in Toronto. I currently have rogers home phone line at home but i could not rogers because they said since its a townhouse. I have to get the internet under the owner of house's name. i could not get it under my own name. Since i live for rent in a room. i can not do that. So please if anyone know any internet service that is giving out cheap deals and still able to get it under my condition. please let me know.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Teksavvy is one of the better deals out there. You will need permission to piggy back it on the current phone line (not possible if they have DSL) or pay extra for a "dry loop." Some providers advertise lower rates but they usually go up after a few months and/or require a long term contract. Teksavvy has been the same low price for the last 5 years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone! I'm new here and I would like to say that this thread has been extremely helpful to me to find the internet service that I need... I'm currently considering TekSavvy after reading all the good words about them. I'm just wondering if any TekSavvy users have had any experience running personal web servers on their PCs, and if you encountered any problems doing that. It has been my favourite way of sending large zip files of photos to my friends and I don't suddenly want to lose the ability to do that just because I moved and switched ISPs.

(I did a search and didn't seem to find a similar existing thread, but if there is one please move my post to right thread.)

·
Super Moderator
4,004 Posts
I've run game servers before with TekSavvy and they've been fine. You will need to either pay extra to get a static IP or sign up for a Dynamic DNS provider (there are several free ones that will either run their own client on a PC or run through your router). Because TekSavvy is a DSL provider your IP address will change periodically.

Compared to my previous ISP, Bell, they are a million times better about downtime. It almost never happens (probably less than 10 times in the year I've had them) and when it does go down for maintenance they usually notify me well ahead of time and only do maintenance in the middle of the night. If it's important that your server be accessible all the time they're a great choice.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I live in Winnipeg, and I am presently with Shaw. I threatened to cancel my HSD subscription and move to a different provider and they came back with an awesome customer loyalty offer. Their 7.5 Mbps service with a 60 GB limit with 1 month free then $19.95/month for 11 months. Unfortunately, due to some system issues I must call each month for the promotional discount of $15.05 to be credited to my account.

When I called the retentions dept they led with this offer and I could not say no.

·
Registered
98 Posts
CIA or Rogers internet?

Presently I have ADSL with a bell internet re-seller, and I am thinking to switch to Rogers or CIA. CIA provides cable DSL High speed internet 7Mbps for $40 a month including taxes. Rogers extra lite is 512 Mbps and $35 a month

I have couple of questions:

- Do I need to have a cable service with Rogers if I want to get CIA's cable DSL service? Are there any extra/additional fees such as connection fees etc?

- Do I need to sign a contract with Rogers or CIA?

- CIA advertises a 7Mbps, I live in an old building will this affect my speed?

- Does the "far from central office" issue apply to cable DSL?

- If I decide to buy my own modem for CIA/Rogers, what do I need to know before buying a modem? (specs, network comaptibility etc)

- Is their modem plug and play or I need to call Rogers/CIA to set it up?
Does their Modem support all OSes? I Dual boot with Windows xp and Ubuntu Linux.

- I read CIA has a poor customer service reps, does anyone know a rep who is willing to help in case if I have problems? (please provide extension number if you know a good rep)

- Can I pay CIA/Roger bill annually and not monthly?

Finally, Please provide reviews of CIA cybersurf.

Thanks
OTA

EDIT: I dont have cable service with rogers, will that be a problem?

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
Rogers.

A search of Cybersurf would find hundreds of negative posts regarding this company.

81 - 100 of 262 Posts