Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
3web

Has anyone tried 3web cable internet? I am currently with Rogers and am curious if 3web matches the Rogers performance (currently 6.9 mps for $43.95), and if their service is as good. I have no complaints about Rogers, as throttling and caps are not an issue for me, and less bandwidth from a dependable and reasonably priced ISP would work.

·
Registered
416 Posts
To me, that 3web pricing you mentioned doesn't seem like such a hot deal. I think people moving to 3web have had issues dealing with Rogers and therefore want to switch, but don't want to move to DSL for either technical or comfort reasons.

Thanks to the people who have been contributing to this discussion. For DSL ISPs, Teksavvy is the obvious one that is getting a lot of attention. Acanac has some good packages too and I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with both and can make some comments? I like recneps77's comments about Teksavvy and the dual-modem setup, but Acanac seems to be better priced. Would love to get some more commentary on this. I've begun my investigation into switching with Rogers... they tell me that I can stop my service at any time without it affecting my bill, which is good news. Now I just need to decide where to switch to.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for the comment. You are correct that the price is no big deal, but then again, if 3web provides the same level of service at less price, they deserve all the business they can get. I just wish there was a way to find out how dependable they are.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the comment. You are correct that the price is no big deal, but then again, if 3web provides the same level of service at less price, they deserve all the business they can get. I just wish there was a way to find out how dependable they are.
Does 3web have bandwidth limit?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Andrew Wireless

Hello all

I've been living with dial-up at home for quite sometime now, but its gotten especially worst now that I have moved back from university and has to SHARE the dial-up with my brother.

Now after all the horror stories I've heard about Xplornet, I don't think I will go with that, and the new Bell and Rogers expanded portable internet still doesn't cover my area.

But I found Andrews Wireless ( http://www.andrewswireless.net/ ), the price plan seems fair, but I emailed them about the setup/install/rental costs and hopefully that comes out fair as well. And HOPEFULLY they're available in my area.

Now I want to ask is that does anybody have a service with Andrews Wireless? If so, are their services stable, and how is their speed?

Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Got a reply back from Andrews Wireless, looks like they don't beam to my area.

So here is another question, does anybody know a good high speed internet that does provide services to rural area? I am currently living north of Stouffville.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Have you checked availability of the Rogers or Bell "portable" internet options?
They seem to have fairly good coverage, AFAIK.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi,

Just reading through this thread, as I'm looking to switch from Bell Sympatico. And I was especially interested in recneps77 comments about being able to connect two lines together with Teksavvy. Because I actually have two sympatico accounts at home ( one business and one residential ) - but the business internet has been down since May. I spent about a month, talking to Bell every day, there were multiple tests done, they dug up part of my front lawn - but still nothing. I gave up trying to fix it by late June as I didn't want to ruin my whole summer, but now want to get this resolved - but can't even consider the option of calling Bell again. So I definitely need to replace my Bell business account -and Teksavvy looks very interesting. But I'm still a little confused about this whole throttling and shaping issue ( i haven't noticed any changes to my download speeds with my residential sympatico DSL, and I d/l a lot of stuff ) - so recneps77, what did you mean when you wrote: Another "bonus feature" is if you enable it with one line, Bell's throttling is essentially non-existant. Specifically what does "enable it with one line" mean ?

Looking forward to switching at least one - if not both of my Bell DSL accounts - possibly to Teksavvy. Thanks for your help.

mookie

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi i got rogers voip and high speed internet and was thinking of getting teksavvy .. prob is are there service compatible for rogers voip ? or would i have to get there phone service too. Also is it avalible in kitchener area because ive tried the telephone number and says its not. Really want to stay away from the dry dsl so if anyone has any knowledge of what to do pls get back to me

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Hi,

Just reading through this thread, as I'm looking to switch from Bell Sympatico. And I was especially interested in recneps77 comments about being able to connect two lines together with Teksavvy. Because I actually have two sympatico accounts at home ( one business and one residential ) - but the business internet has been down since May. I spent about a month, talking to Bell every day, there were multiple tests done, they dug up part of my front lawn - but still nothing. I gave up trying to fix it by late June as I didn't want to ruin my whole summer, but now want to get this resolved - but can't even consider the option of calling Bell again. So I definitely need to replace my Bell business account -and Teksavvy looks very interesting. But I'm still a little confused about this whole throttling and shaping issue ( i haven't noticed any changes to my download speeds with my residential sympatico DSL, and I d/l a lot of stuff ) - so recneps77, what did you mean when you wrote: Another "bonus feature" is if you enable it with one line, Bell's throttling is essentially non-existant. Specifically what does "enable it with one line" mean ?

Looking forward to switching at least one - if not both of my Bell DSL accounts - possibly to Teksavvy. Thanks for your help.

mookie
Sorry, I never really checked this thread until now.

"enable on one line" means you can do MLPPP with a single line, you don't need 2+ as is suggested by the name of "Multi-link PPP".
Basically, it changes the way the connection is formed so that the throttle boxes can't do their "evil" :)P).
If you have more than one line, MLPPP bonds them together to make one single faster connection. Otherwise, it just reformats your link to be different than a standard one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ISP in new part of NW Oakville

Hi All,

I'm looking for a good ISP + TV provider for a new area in NorthWest Oakville. The builder has partnered with Cogeco but i cannot stand their upload/download cap of 100GB for the PRO feature and at $70/month!! just for internet!

Unfortunately i checked on the Rogers site and they are not available in my new neighbourhood and i dont think Bell is either..shoot!

Can anyone recommend a decent high-speed ISP + TV provider (no cap) in this area? We'll be moving there in Feb so i'm just trying to get things setup beforehand..

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Switching from bell to rogers

I'm planning to switch providers and looking for input re: avoidance of hurdles.

Does bell require a notice period for cancellation? How quickly will rogers take to have me up and running? I'm assuming I'll have to schedule a technician to provide hook-up given that I haven't dealt with rogers for almost 10 years and that was only for tv.

Is it better to buy or rent the modem?

I've no idea what my current usage amount is so how do I determine if the
60 gig/month max is adequate (I want to get the express package)? If a tech
is required how much will it cost? I'm assuming the 14.95 activation cost is little more than a kind of initiation fee.

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Coming out party.

I will be moving from the boonies to the city and will finally go to high speed internet(WOO HOO). My question is which service is best. I'm not to keen on getting throttled by Bell or Rogers or in having a download cap but would I end up saving some $$ if I go with one or the other and bundling the services.

I currently have BEV with the middle digital package and regular Bell phone service(which is marginal at best but it is mostly due to the age of the wires in my area).

I was thinking I could mix and match services(Rogers - TV, Bell - phone, and ??? - for internet) but this might be a little pricey. Just looking for feedback from others who may have emerged from the darkages like myself and would have some recommendations.

Thanx
K

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
Look for Teksavvy or Primus. Lots of threads discussing in this forum

·
Registered
28 Posts
Most other DSL providers like Techsavy and so on use Bell equipment and are still thottled. so you should have the same lvl of service and I beleive they are cheaper most don't have a cap.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I use Bell Sympatico for Internet, but I also have access to a Rogers Internet connection that I use frequently so I am able to compare both.

Bell Sympatico has been very reliable for me, and its speed has been more consistent and less throttled than Rogers. Rogers can be quite fast at peak, but speed varies more than Bell and Rogers throttles my uploads much more than Bell does.

On the whole, I'm happier with Bell.

41 - 60 of 262 Posts