Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CAn anyone help me out. I have a restaurant and as a free service to my customers I provide a free internet access. I'm looking for a good ISP providor with reasonable rates PLUS I need a static IP address. Thanks

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Do you know if DSL is available in your area? If so, try TekSavvy. $59 per month for the business unlimited DSL, $4 per month for the static IP. No contracts, no extra fees.

·
Registered
51 Posts
In Ontario there are multiple DSL ISP provider as most of them uses existing Bell DSL Network. But in Greater Toronto & OTTAWA Area only ROGERS & 3WEB (uses Rogers Infrastructure) offers Internet through Cable. I would love to have some compitition in INTERNET through Cable. I don't like to pay $44.95/month (7.0 MB) to Rogers & 3Web charges $32.95 for same price. I am with 3Web due to price but It is next to impossible to speak with Customer Service Rep. Pick your Poison. As far as DSL is concerned till date I have only used LOOK & BELL & I love Look Service but I have to move to CABLE INTERNET due to VOIP as Naked DSL was not avaliable or I was not given the option at that time

·
Registered
77 Posts
High Speed Cable ISP in Burlington?

Anyone know of any 'no-cap' cable providers in Burlington? Cogeco has just raised their price on me $5 so it's $52/month now and they have a cap.

Garbage...I'd like to stay cable if possible, as using DSL would mean re-wireing my current voip setup.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey Renton, I'm in the same boat. I want a high speed NO CAP ISP in Oakville.
I was thinking about going with Cybernet Communications.
I have only had Cable internet, but currently have none.
I still do however have my voip provider still going and will just connect the voip box up with the new ISP when I get it. My question is, if my VOIP box is ethernet based and works fine with cable, is there any reason to think is may not work with ADSL?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm in Mississauga looking for a good High Speed provider (at least 5Mbps) at a reasonable price (about $35 / month total). Download limits of 60GB are fine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey Rapplin, I use VOIP as well (Primus), and it will work fine with DSL. We would need to get just the dry DSL with no phone service.

I was also thinking of Cybernet, I want to give them a call and make sure of the proper pricing and forsure NO CAP details etc. I'll let you know what I can find out if you haven't already done so.

I'm not sure how you have your VOIP phone lines setup, but the one issue with using DSL instead of Cable, is that with Cable, you don't need your external phone connection at all, so I disconnected it from the house, thus my internal phone wireing works as normal, so all my phones work with the voip connection as is. With DSL, you need to connect that external phone line back up, thus in order to have all the phones in your house work as normal, I will be just wiring up a single jack to the external line, and use that to feed my DSL modem, thus keeping the internal wiring of all my phone jacks seperated.

Does that make sense? Sorry if it came out disjointed!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can anyone recommend good DSL service other than Bell Sympatico?

Hi, everyone.

Honestly, I love the Internet Service from Bell. It keeps high speed and had just few times of connection problem in 7 years of use. But I had to call customer service so many times because of terrible billing.

I had to waste more than an hour to adjust the billing almost every single month. That's the reason I want to switch to another ISP.

I'm living in Toronto.

Can anyone recommend a good ISP with reasonable price?

Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am also currently looking for a new DSL providor, after some research on this site and others I think the best alternative would be TekSavvy.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm cancelling my Sympatico DSL today for TekSavvy's unlimited DSL plan. I'm tired of caps and throttled downloads. What used to take 45 minutes to download in the evening takes 8 hours. Why should I have to spend the extra money to run my PC longer because of Bell.

C.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Download limit alternative?

I'm a subscriber to Videotron's High Speed Extreme internet package, which offers a limit of 100Gigabytes of download every month (total upload+download limit is 100Gb). However, I do not use TV anymore - I just get my shows from Joost and other torrent downloads. Because of the way torrent technology works, I need to upload as much as I download, to give back to the community what they give to me. In other words, after 50Gb of download, I'm done for a month.

Since the package is 73$ with tax, I'm unwilling to pay more than this on a monthly basis. I've already been presented with the fact that my previously-unlimited Videotron package was now a now-and-forevermore-limited package, and this without any consultation. I don't want to keep this up.

I want to know of all the ISPs in Quebec - all of them. I wish to know who offers what package, at what cost. If there is currently an existing list of these, please point me to them; otherwise, please post here a complete listing of the packages you get (without the discounts and whatnot). Please take care of reading previous posts in this thread to avoid repetition.

Thanks for your help - I'll post a poll at the end of this so people can vote on the service they'd choose.
Later!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
couzin2000, This subject has been covered before so you may want to search threads in this forum for alternatives.

Teksavvy and Primus are names that have come up in other discussions.

I have merged your post into the ISP thread to keep the discussion in a single thread and make it easier for users to find a new ISP.

·
Registered
32 Posts
TekSavvy is good

I've used TekSavvy in two locations now. My home connection is $30 a month. I bought a DSL modem for $23 at canadacomputers.
You can easily find a DSL modem for under $40. Ok, even $50, big deal.

No traffic shaping, no BS, perfect uptime, excellent tech support (way way way waaaaayyyy better than Bell and Rogers, no comparison whatsoever).
Support Linux.

People paying near $50 on Rogers are the biggest suckers, they are the grand master overlords of traffic shaping.
And why pay $45 a month if you can get $30.

Speed? I get near 4 Mb/s. I'm not bothering to complain about a measly extra 1 Mb/s, it's just not needed. The bandwidth on my end is never really saturated. All these extra over and beyond speed is just a bunch of baloney IMO.
Anything 3 or over is just fine. Who cares about anything over that.
Linux CD download? Yeah, like how often. Big deal.
Filesharing never really saturates my connection anyway.
Anyway, that's just my opinion. I'm sure that there are download buffs continually downloading at 6+ Mb/s round the clock.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Is there any unlimited with faster like 8 or higher? TekSavvy looks good but I always hated the changing IP and also felt dsl was little more unstable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking to switch

I'm with acanac, signed up becuz it's cheap, was working fine until a few weeks ago when i went for a long vacation. My DSL was down for the time I was away, I got no phone msgs either, I sent a bad email to them. My internet has been up and down sine then... really frustrating!!!

any ISP/voip companies that are cheap but viable with a long term vision and good customer service? I don't want to have to switch every year becuz I need a stable phone number too!

thanks for the input

·
Registered
12 Posts
New ISP Advice

Hello, I am looking to go with a new ISP in the Ottawa area. With everything I've been reading about the throttling and shaping, I was seeking a little advice.

I will be mainly using this hispeed service for VOIP, surfing and occasional P2P dowloads. I am not a heavy torrent downloader, but will do some.

I like the feedback I've heard about Teksavvy, however I realize they are now being shaped by Bell. I guess my question is more toward the VOIP usage, should I even still be considering a dryloop dsl service, or just go straight to cable (rogers..)?

Advice appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
ISP Choices in GTA

3Web has improved its Customer Service Waiting TIme, Due to ROGERS CAP, I have moved to NAKED DSL through 3Web, They are charging me $29.95 + GST for Internet & $9.95 + GST + PST for DRY LOOP DSL and that will go to BELL. For $40 Approx I am getting 5 MB download with Unlimited CAP. My only issue is Throttling CRTC is already going to decide. I don't download movies but do watch TV on the WEB. Acanac has lowest prices on their 1 Year contract.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looking for good isp?

I need an isp that offers a good download speed. I'm not talking about 15 mbps connection and getting 64 kbps download. I need a connection that will go to about 4 mbps for downloads. I've seen many people downloading at this speed and I need to know a company that can provide this.:eek::eek:

1 - 20 of 262 Posts